OT: horizontal bandsaw

Located a small, old, Craftsman metal-cutting, horizontal bandsaw, to be auctioned off in the next month. Has about a 36" blade. DAGS, but it revealed little other than it was probably made by Atlas (didn't think to get a model #). This looks like something I could use (my hacksawing days are painful, and the chopsaw doesn't like aluminum). Any comments about Craftsman's (possibly Atlas) HBS? I'd hazard a

40-50 year vintage.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Cullimore

As far as I know Atlas made all the Sears horizontal saws. Good, solid design overall, with the one weak point being a set of bushings (don't ask me where, I'm going from memory). Some parts are still available. I think late '50s-'70s vintage.

Don't spend too much, considering a new $130-160 import really isn't that bad. These Atlas/Sears saws are nice but nothing super special.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

Thanks, John. I'm not planning on spending much...but the little thing is pretty cute, and the green paint and patina would go well with the dust ;^) Actually, the small size is very appealing--I could shove it against the wall...

and forget it was there....

Dan

Reply to
Dan Cullimore