(OT) HF snap rings fwiw

I purchased two sets of snap rings from HF, I would not have been surprised if they had been unusable. They were very cheap compared to most offerings.

Turns out they are well made and will hold their shape even when subjected to abuse they would never see in service. (this was determined in the "basilisk destructive testing lab")

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

Some HF stuff is OK. I wouldn't touch most of their machine tools though.

Reply to
RonB

I've heard of that laboratory. Isn't their motto something like "Tight fit? Hand me that hand sledge"?

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

We use a variety of methods: Sledge hammers

50 ton press ax assortment of acids and alkalies high powered rifles- this is a favorite

Currently testing a turbo 400 transmission out of a caddilac with 7.62X54r armor piercing rounds. More testing is needed but early result are showing that the transmission housing is quite flimsy.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

It is always hit and miss with their stuff. I once bought alligator clips to solder onto copper wire I use to diffuse static on my disconnectable dust collection piping. The "metal" was like tin foil. You could crush them by rolling them between your fingers, literally.

I once bought wire end tabs that are like a washer so you can bolt down a wire. Same thing, "metal" was like paper. Literally unusable. Not sure how they can continue to sell.

Once bought quick clamps that just disintegrated as soon as you tried to clamp anything. Both of them just fell in parts to the floor when I tried to use them. There was another two bucks wasted.

Do I still love them and love to shop there... Yes. Caveat emptor

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

My wife bought a pair of pliers there, which I borrowed recently for the sake of convenience.I don't remember what it was a was trying to twist, but the head of the "tool" twisted apart like it was made of plastic. I never saw anything like that happen before (though I wasn't surprised)!

Bill

Reply to
Bill