OT: Here's The Deal. Ot and not OT

I was drawn into too many conversations about this and that and the other thing over the last couple of years. I take a genuine interest in politics, US and here in Canada.
I have decided not to do that kinda thing in here any more. There are many channels to have these discussions via e-mail and such... why clutter this lumpy ol' newsgroup with my diatribe?, Eh?
I consider myself lucky to be healthy, alive, living a pretty good life with a wonderful Angela and 3 insanely great daughters. Both my parents are going to be 87 in the next month. My sister is still in a wheelchair.
Business is pretty much back where it was before I retired in Sept 2003, dunno how I keep doing this. This the fourth time I built a business, sold it, and moved on. This last time, I decided to move towards the 'art' side of things. You know, thermo-forming Corian and CAD and rendering 3-D models. Somehow that blossomed into yet another trip down Success Lane. Maybe it is because I take so little for myself, that things work out as well as they do. That is NOT because I am some kind of charitable idiot, I just don't need very much other than the pleasure of making shit work. Angela is such a huge support and she takes such pleasure in watching me wrestle my challenges to the ground.
So here it is: No more religion and politics. Don't even try.
Obama is weak. Hillary's a bitch. McCain's is Bush.

Robatoy wrote:

I agree with that, Rob. I'm not one to whine about the OT posts on here; most of them I just hit "Mark Thread as Read" and move on. Opinions on politics/religion/relationships/love/sex. I've got. But I don't care to share them here. Ok, maybe sex.
What I agree with is that this is a woodworking NG, and while OT posts are acceptable especially if they're labeled as such, they are just that - Off Topic.
On a slow day in here, I'll read some of it, but after a while the reason that I come here creeps from the back of my head to the front.
Philosophy and way-of-life come screaming through on ON topic posts. Yours, Leon's, Swing's, especially Lew Hodgett's. Those names just came to mind. There are many more here whose ideas and presentation enrich the entire experience at the Wreck. And I do mean enrich. "How do I make sure that my dadoes are bang-on in width if I have to make more than one pass?". "Measure properly" is the dry answer but you never see only a dry answer when a question like that is posed. Instead, you get a plethora of responses and ideas I would never have considered.
The way that on topic threads wander around, meander, come back to the OP's point, and then veer off again has its own sense of beauty. And it's what keeps me coming back. Well, that and those little sandwiches with the crusts cut off.
I'm very happy that I've found this group. I have been since I started the hobby and I've never been disappointed when I've asked for help. I've also seen many other guys (mostly guys but the occasional woman) ask things that have been thoroughly discussed as well. It's tremendous to see that pile on attitude towards helping each other out.
Oh and Rob? Just to help you slay that monster and know in your heart that it's dead and buried.....two words.
Maxime Bernier
ROFL.
Tanus

LOL...yea, that is funny shit, eh? Married to a Hell's Angel and now the girlfriend of Canada's Foreign Minister...LOL

??????????
.

I'll accept that but you gotta replace those posts with woodworking posts. No drop in posting volume. I'd rather hear OT comments than no comments. ;~)
doesn't mean no more jelly donuts, i'm still stuck on that one. ross

Drawn into? Hell, you started a lot of them!

OK, now this is new. I hadn't noticed that. Is this recent? ;^)

Seriously, that may be a mistake. There are those that use this as their sounding board, their venting board, and a way to express themselves as to "The Way Things Should Be".
Again, seriously, read the thread counts.
NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING brings out the responses like politics. In then end, no minds are changed, no points are made, the only ones satisfied are the guys that make (what they think) blindingly obvious arguments of why they are so right. Self righteous, indignant, sanctimonious, you know, everything you have to have with any discussion of politics or policy.
In the end, it always boils down to "I am right you dumbass, and you couldn't be more stupid or wrong for not seeing it my way". I am sure a few feelings get hurt, and we have had several farewell announcement due to hurt feelings, but again, this is a public forum.
And you, you rascal, you were about the best shit stirrer on the group.
So what gives?
Robert
sure hope somebody didn't shit in robs hard hat. ross

I resemble that remark!

Flattery will get you everywhere..... I said FLATTERY, not FLATULENCE! bwahaha.

Truth is, I'm bucking for the moderator's job. :-*
<G>

SNIP

ROTFLMAO!!!!!
My oh, my. Wouldn't this be an interesting group then? Yeeehaw!
Robert

for what it's worth, you get my vote. Lett'er buck ross