OT: Help w/ Agent newsreader

Hi all;

I just downloaded Agent and I've started using it. I'm sold.

Yesterdya, I seemed to have it set up right. But, Agent hasn't downloaded any new messages from the wreck since yesterday. OE has downloaded 10-15 new messages from the same server. All the other newsgroups I've subscribed to have new messages as well.

Is there a setting somewhere that I've got wrong?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks a heap,

-jbb

Is

Reply to
J.B. Bobbitt

Did you subscribe to groups yesterday, then click the Get New Messages In Subscribed Groups button (upper left?) today?

I've used Agent for nearly a decade and love it. I just wish they'd allow filtering by body text so I could plonk messages quoting people I have in my twit filters. The fidiots who constantly reply to known

*sshol*s piss me off to no end. I've told Forte that I'll upgrade to 2.01 or whatever number they come up with when that filtering improvement is finally installed. Other than that, Agent is perfect!
Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yes, repeatedly. It downloads messages from other groups correctly, just nothing from the wreck today.

So far, I'm verrry impressed.

-jbb

Reply to
J.B. Bobbitt

So I just remembered that I've been theough this before.

Unsubscribe, re-boot, resubscribe .....

It seems to bwe working OK.

-jbb

Reply to
J.B. Bobbitt

That indicates that the server has renumbered articles so Agent thinks all the new articles are older than the ones you have already downloaded. Good news servers don't do that very often (if ever).

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

I subbed to ABPW the other day and it downloaded a corrupt file which played havoc with the index. I ended up scrapping all the downloads for that newsgroup and downloaded the last week's crap. All is well now. I've only had 2 problems with Agent along that line in 10+ per day downloads for a decade. I'd say it was a damned good DBM.

I've had occasional non-downloads from the server and it turned out to be a server upgrade or replacement every time.

Unsubscribe and resubscribe to the Wreck, then try the download again. If it still doesn't work, check with Plodigy, your news server host. They may have a problem on that end.

Ayup. Me, too.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

There's a manual way to make it think it's looking at a new group as well. Open Agent, and then select a group other than rec.woodworking. Then open the folder Agent is in, and delete the .dat files. MAKE SURE that Agent is open, or you do run the risk of deleting your registration information. Once you've got the DAT files deleted, Agent will look at any group whose DAT file you've deleted as a new group that has never been viewed before, and download all the headers you news server has- not just the ones it thinks you haven't seen yet.

It works for me- but if you're not comfortable with any part of the method, you shouldn't do it. There is the possibility that you will need to re-install the program if you delete the wrong file(s).

Reply to
Prometheus

Since you posted with Outhouse Express, I can't tell what program you d/l'd... was it Agent, or Free Agent?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis