OT - Help requested for NewsProxy

Does anyone know how to add a filter to block all cross posted messages. I have tried to figure it out, but I can't seem to get it to work.

TIA Glen

Reply to
Glen

I've listed two filters below to do that

# rec.woodworking drop Xref:*;*;* # rec.woodworking drop Newsgroups:*,* #

I suggest trying both.

The first (using Xref ) should work on any news server but will not count cross-posts to newsgroups not provided by your news server. ie the odd cross post might slip through.

The second will block all cross posts but won't work on some news servers. (Nfilter will use the "XHDR" command to fetch the "Newsgroups" header, unfortunately some news servers do not support this command).

To set up Outlook Express to use Newsproxy / Nfilter

Select Tools-> Accounts from the menu

Click the news tab, select your news account and click properties. (I suggest clicking export to save the current settings to a file at this point)

Click the server tab and copy the server name.

In Newsproxy Select Edit-> configuration, click on Network tab and paste the server name you copied from Outlook Express into "server name or IP number"

The server name in Outlook Express should be replaced with 127.0.0.1 to connect via the proxy.

Reply to
mel

Sorry just spotted an error should be rec.woodworking drop Xref:*:*:* not ; (corrected bellow)

[...]

Regards mel

Reply to
Mel

Thanks, just added use of netproxy and your filter to my countermeasures to help go back to enjoying the wreck.

Wes

Reply to
clutch