OT: Help please. "Intellisync Corp" popup

WRONG. Use the Norton removal tool and remove all the objects required to be removed. It is NOT necessary, and is less effective, to try to use a registry cleaner if you are a newbie to such things and pick the wrong one. A couple are great programs; others not so great, others better for newbies.

WRONG. Norton's footprint is now very small and they even show it in a monitor if you wsh to watch it at work in real time. McAfee I no longer bother checking out but you have obvously not checked anything out about any of the programs you speak of; you are way behind the times and are presenting misinformation on almost everything you mention.

HTH,

Twayne`

Reply to
Twayne

You are wrong that Norton find false positives, I think. Specifically what is it falsely triggering on? Norton is not only faster than your AVAST but is more accurate and updated more frequently wit real data, not stuff that looks like new data.

Any scan that takes 20 hours to complete is completely unacceptable and is not Norton and/or is not a single hard drive. Even including my two terabyte externals, Norton never approaches 20 hours to do a scan. You might wish to run any AV you have, plus a slew of malware detectors. I'm not trying to be as negative as this might sound; I am only trying to point out some food for thought. Even in its "bloat" days Norton never took any 20 hours to scan a hard drive. I've been with Norton since the days of DOS where if the machine wasn't up to the "preferred" system requirements is the only time you'd notce the "bloat". Fortunately, Norton/Symantec listened to its customers and those problems are long gone. My only complaint about Norton is the cost of their subscriptions has gone too high IMO and that does have me contemplating some of the competition sans McAfee, the only one I've fully tested to date.

HTH,

Twayne`

Reply to
Twayne

The problem with the Norton removal tool is that it has to be used over and over to get all of Norton out. It may say the removal is complete but until you actually get the message that all has been removed after several runs, it ain't all out. And then there are specks of it floating around. Perhaps you are not familiar with how it works with older versions of Norton's array of products.

Reply to
Leon

Yeah, it was alright, too. But _now_ look who owns it. Slymantec. I'll bet they ruined -it-, too.

-- ...in order that a man may be happy, it is necessary that he should not only be capable of his work, but a good judge of his work. -- John Ruskin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I used to refer to him as St. Peter.

Agreed!

Reply to
Nova

------------------------------ I was also a PC Tools fan.

SFWIW, found Power Desk from Avanquest to be a good replacement.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

They acquired it back when Win 95 came out, Norton Navigator copied it and another popular file manager. Then they ditched it like several other industry leading softare's

There is a current PCTools however I don't think it is the same.

Reply to
Leon

I used Power Desk for years until It and Norton did not play well.

If you want an infinitely adjustable file manager.. look at Directory Opus.

I found Dopus about 3 years ago.

If you like file managers, this one will do just about anything you wish and you can make it look just like you want. And you can configure and save listers/configurations to open in a multitude of ways for specific things you might want to do with it. I HIGHLY recommend it. Worth a look with a 60 day free trial.

Leon

I ran Norton Commander and Norton Editor for years and years, even under Win3 and up. Happy days!

I'm surprised that Mickeysoft's Windows Explorer never did color, but I guess most computer users -hide- the extensions, anyway. Maroons. I don't use a file manager a whole lot any more, though.

-- ...in order that a man may be happy, it is necessary that he should not only be capable of his work, but a good judge of his work. -- John Ruskin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I Do Not understand the desire to hide the extensions...I've seen it too, and from people I'd expect not to do that!

Reply to
Bill

Bill wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news3.newsguy.com:

The trouble, at least with Explorer, is that they're off by default. It's the single most useful piece of metadata aside from the filename, and for "cleanliness" or "to avoid confusion" they're hidden. It's like not printing the size of a socket on the wrench... Sure, there's no confusion as to whether or not it's a socket, but what size nut does it fit?

Some programs want to hide filenames as well. All you get is a picture (and a tiny one at that!)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I want to see attributes also. Directory Opus will show you more that you would ever want to know about a file. I just counted a possible 99 columns that you can choose to show information about a file and that is all customizable to any particular directory.

There are sizes printed on the side a socket???? Seriously I never could understand why sizes are printed on a socket, the size is not printed on the head of a bolt or nut. When you look at a nut or bolt you don't suddenly need to translate that into a size. I guess it makes it easier to buy a replacement or ask some one to bring you a 7/16 socket. ;~) I guess you work with them enough you get used to simply looking at the physical size, assuming you don't mix them with metric!

Reply to
Leon

MS Explorer will display all those things, View > Choose Details. and if you do not choose Tools > Folder Options > View > Apply to All Folders. then it should only apply to the current folder. (I am not a particular MS lover but the facilities are there.)

Reply to
John G

Bill wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news3.newsguy.com:

The trouble, at least with Explorer, is that they're off by default. It's the single most useful piece of metadata aside from the filename, and for "cleanliness" or "to avoid confusion" they're hidden. It's like not printing the size of a socket on the wrench... Sure, there's no confusion as to whether or not it's a socket, but what size nut does it fit?

Some programs want to hide filenames as well. All you get is a picture (and a tiny one at that!)

Puckdropper

==============

They are attempting to copy the old Macintosh OS where users do not need to see extensions or system files. It causes trouble t play with them. Just open the file. Who cares what method of encoding it isÉ

Reply to
Eric

Me and the OS (operating system). Sometimes we disagree about the way I wish to proceed.

Reply to
Bill

I think it's the mindset difference. We want to know every detail about our computers. They don't even want to know how they work, what the file name is, or what type of file it is. They just want to press one button and have the computer spit out the item they need.

Y'know, kinda like Engineer Scott talking to the 20th century computer, not getting any answer, and then speaking into the mouse. (Catherine Hicks was at her hottest in "The Voyage Home", eh?)

-- ...in order that a man may be happy, it is necessary that he should not only be capable of his work, but a good judge of his work. -- John Ruskin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Me and the OS (operating system). Sometimes we disagree about the way I wish to proceed.

==============

Yabbut we only expect to get things in the way we are trained.

They keep changing the style somewhat though. As an old system software guy I like to see it all, but users may only want to see the results and don't care where or how they get them. This was the old way the Macs did it. MS only copied it more each release. I remember statements from the experts (Byte magazine) years back in the MsDos times stating that a mouse OS was only Mickey Mouse and the GUI would never survive.

We got some OCD control freaks, here, and can't let go and just become users. LOL

Reply to
Eric

I remember statements from the

The command line and scripts are still alive and well! When the going gets tough, a mouse is no match for the command line.

Typo: you meant to type, "... and just become *helpless* users"

*helpless:* adjective
  1. unable to help oneself; weak or dependent: a helpless invalid.
  2. deprived of strength or power; powerless; incapacitated.
Reply to
Bill

By crackly you are correct! I guess where I was going is that with DOpus you can have it open an unlimited number of ways. Say you often want to compare two folders to make sure your flash drive has certain current data one it, you open in that saved configuration and let it compare and copy to the desired folder the changes. It almost works like a back up program. There are countless savable ways for the program to open and display.

Reply to
Leon

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

There is a 60 day free evaluation, but then I would have to pay over USD100. No way, matey, not for me.

Reply to
Han