OT: Help please. "Intellisync Corp" popup

Page 2 of 4
On 8/16/2011 2:29 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

If you want an infinitely adjustable file manager.. look at Directory Opus.
I found Dopus about 3 years ago.
If you like file managers, this one will do just about anything you wish and you can make it look just like you want. And you can configure and save listers/configurations to open in a multitude of ways for specific things you might want to do with it. I HIGHLY recommend it. Worth a look with a 60 day free trial.
http://www.gpsoft.com.au /

I ran Norton Commander and Norton Editor for years and years, even under Win3 and up. Happy days!

I'm surprised that Mickeysoft's Windows Explorer never did color, but I guess most computer users -hide- the extensions, anyway. Maroons. I don't use a file manager a whole lot any more, though.
-- ...in order that a man may be happy, it is necessary that he should not only be capable of his work, but a good judge of his work. -- John Ruskin
Larry Jaques wrote:

I Do Not understand the desire to hide the extensions...I've seen it too, and from people I'd expect not to do that!

The trouble, at least with Explorer, is that they're off by default. It's the single most useful piece of metadata aside from the filename, and for "cleanliness" or "to avoid confusion" they're hidden. It's like not printing the size of a socket on the wrench... Sure, there's no confusion as to whether or not it's a socket, but what size nut does it fit?
Some programs want to hide filenames as well. All you get is a picture (and a tiny one at that!)
Puckdropper
On 8/16/2011 6:54 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

I want to see attributes also. Directory Opus will show you more that you would ever want to know about a file. I just counted a possible 99 columns that you can choose to show information about a file and that is all customizable to any particular directory.
There are sizes printed on the side a socket???? Seriously I never could understand why sizes are printed on a socket, the size is not printed on the head of a bolt or nut. When you look at a nut or bolt you don't suddenly need to translate that into a size. I guess it makes it easier to buy a replacement or ask some one to bring you a 7/16 socket. ;~) I guess you work with them enough you get used to simply looking at the physical size, assuming you don't mix them with metric!

Leon brought next idea :

if you do not choose Tools > Folder Options > View > Apply to All Folders. then it should only apply to the current folder. (I am not a particular MS lover but the facilities are there.)

--
John G.

On 8/16/2011 8:04 PM, John G wrote:

By crackly you are correct! I guess where I was going is that with DOpus you can have it open an unlimited number of ways. Say you often want to compare two folders to make sure your flash drive has certain current data one it, you open in that saved configuration and let it compare and copy to the desired folder the changes. It almost works like a back up program. There are countless savable ways for the program to open and display.

There is a 60 day free evaluation, but then I would have to pay over USD100. No way, matey, not for me.
--
Best regards
Han
On 8/17/2011 6:53 AM, Han wrote:

No, that is not how that works, you get to evaluate and use it for 60 days, IIRC if you register it you get it for an additional 30 days. Then if you decide that it is not for you for what ever reason then you simply don't continue to use it. You do not have to pay for it if you don't continue to use it.
You are assuming that you may not feel that it is worth $100. You might find that it is worth $200 to you.
After having used it almost daily for about three years I would have to think before paying $300 but certainly not $100. I actually bought 5 licenses at a considerable discount off the single price. I did use the entire evaluation period as I was being very picky about what I wanted out of a file manager. I could find no hitches or anything wrong with the program which is something I cannot say about the other 15-20 file managers I tried out when looking for a replacement for Power Desk. After seeing what it would do, my father, wife, and son wanted it on their computers. Swingman bought a copy too.
<snipped>
Now you've got me curious ...
--
Best regards
Han
On 8/17/2011 9:37 AM, Han wrote:

LOL, does not hurt to look and putter. If you like file managers that can configured many many many ways....
And I might add, spend some time with it. You can get it to work in short order but to learn what all it can do takes some time. This is not one of those programs that you mess with for an hour or two and you know everything about it and what it will.
And as I mentioned earlier you can save unlimited set ups for your specific needs.
On 8/17/2011 3:09 PM, Leon wrote:

One last thing,, maybe. ;~) And I do not earn a commission, the screen shots do not show it but you can save tabs to take you to your most visited directories instantly, you do not have to hunt them down in the tree unless you just want to.

I installed it, but I did 1 search for files with vizio in thr name and that was excruciatingly slow. Now the program is obviously not optimized for that, but my "Search Everything" is much, much faster ...
Will work it more ...
--
Best regards
Han
Leon wrote:

I create shortcuts in IE which I leave on my desktop for that. It works for file folders or URLs (web pages). Very handy!

============= They are attempting to copy the old Macintosh OS where users do not need to see extensions or system files. It causes trouble t play with them. Just open the file. Who cares what method of encoding it is
--
Eric

Eric wrote:

Me and the OS (operating system). Sometimes we disagree about the way I wish to proceed.

"Bill" wrote in message

Me and the OS (operating system). Sometimes we disagree about the way I wish to proceed.
============= Yabbut we only expect to get things in the way we are trained.
They keep changing the style somewhat though. As an old system software guy I like to see it all, but users may only want to see the results and don't care where or how they get them. This was the old way the Macs did it. MS only copied it more each release. I remember statements from the experts (Byte magazine) years back in the MsDos times stating that a mouse OS was only Mickey Mouse and the GUI would never survive.
We got some OCD control freaks, here, and can't let go and just become users. LOL
--
Eric

Eric wrote:

I remember statements from the

The command line and scripts are still alive and well! When the going gets tough, a mouse is no match for the command line.

Typo: you meant to type, "... and just become *helpless* users"
*helpless:* adjective 1. unable to help oneself; weak or dependent: a helpless invalid.
2. deprived of strength or power; powerless; incapacitated.

All well and good, *UNTIL* you have several files with different extensions, but the same base name -- you _can't_tell_ which is which.
"Robert Bonomi" wrote in message

All well and good, *UNTIL* you have several files with different extensions, but the same base name -- you _can't_tell_ which is which.
=========It could be said you didn't name your files very well.
Would you name a text file on fixups to do, around the house, the same as a photograph of a repair to be made? Not likely with 256 characters to name things with. (PITA to read the whole name though)
"house fixups_text.txt" LOL
--
Eric