OT: Help please. "Intellisync Corp" popup

Page 1 of 4
Sorry for the OT post but you guys know more than most.
IE ver 8.
Lately, I've been hammered by the pop-up blocker telling me that "the website wants to run the default file description string from Intellisync Corporation". EVERY WEBSITE. EVERY TIME.
I've Googled it and it appears to have something to do with mobil phone apps. I don't got no apps.
Any help?
Thanks a heap, -Zz "Zz Yzx" rhymes with "physics"; or " Isaacs" if you prefer. http://www.abandonedbutnotforgotten.com/zzyzx_road.htm
Zz Yzx wrote:

You're infected with some malware. Try first downloading and running Microsoft's Security Essentials. It's free and pretty good.
Note: A complete scan of your system may take from 12 to 20 hours.
AVAST is another free, but effective antivirus. I have used it for a couple of years now and it does a bang up job, and is updated sometimes twice a day. It has great detection, and in the last two+ years has given me no false hits.
As noted above, scans can take a long time. Hang with it though as if this is a virus in your boot sector, once it finishes its scan, the program will need you to reboot so it can scan your start up files. Then it will finish up.
No antivirus/spyware is 100%, and some pick up things others won't. Don't be afraid of the free stuff (remember though, they *love* an donation or actual purchase!) as it turns out most of the free stuff like AVAST, AVG, and Trend Micro test nearly as good or better than Norton and McAfee.
They also take less resources from your machine, and if you delete them, they are gone. Just try and get rid of Norton..... I have had it on twice on two different machines, and it can't even uninstall itself. There are bomb fragments all over the machine when you uninstall, and if you don't run a registry cleaner it will still loads remnants (or at least try to) of the program.
McAfee..... two commercial versions later, and too many false positives to count. Both programs are bloated larger than the Hindenburg, and while they test out well in most cases, you will find the tests are run on newer machines with a lot of available resources. If your machine is older, say more than a couple of years, those two programs will slow your machine considerably.
Good luck, Zz. It sounds like this is an easy fix.
Robert

SNortin are both bloated and have a history of false positives. If it is a boot sector virus, have it remove it, save your data elsewhere, and go for a full reinstall though, they are just downright nasty.
--
Froz...

In wrote:

You are wrong that Norton find false positives, I think. Specifically what is it falsely triggering on? Norton is not only faster than your AVAST but is more accurate and updated more frequently wit real data, not stuff that looks like new data.

Any scan that takes 20 hours to complete is completely unacceptable and is not Norton and/or is not a single hard drive. Even including my two terabyte externals, Norton never approaches 20 hours to do a scan. You might wish to run any AV you have, plus a slew of malware detectors. I'm not trying to be as negative as this might sound; I am only trying to point out some food for thought. Even in its "bloat" days Norton never took any 20 hours to scan a hard drive. I've been with Norton since the days of DOS where if the machine wasn't up to the "preferred" system requirements is the only time you'd notce the "bloat". Fortunately, Norton/Symantec listened to its customers and those problems are long gone. My only complaint about Norton is the cost of their subscriptions has gone too high IMO and that does have me contemplating some of the competition sans McAfee, the only one I've fully tested to date.
HTH,
Twayne`

subscription. It used to be really good and used often for a cheap business application. When I couldn't continue to get the free version, even though they promised it. I tried to erase it from my computer. Then it whined and complained and said if I really, really wanted a free version, they would let me have it. Assuming that was true, they lied to me about it being free. I went and looked on line and found out it had become very bloated, resource hungry and not anywhere as good as it used to be. That made up my mind.
I went looking. I found AVAST. They have a free version and a paid version. And they don't harass you if you choose the free version. It works good. No problems of any kind from it. Another vote for AVAST. After many happy years with AVG, I am an AVAST man. AVG drove me away.
On 8/13/2011 6:11 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

My AVG expires in November and I'd already decided to bail ... enough is enough.
They remind me of Intuit or Corel.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Ditto. I moved from AVG to Avast, which _really_ slowed my computer, then to Microsoft Security Essentials.
-- Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort. -- Franklin D. Roosevelt
On 8/13/2011 8:29 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Wait a sec, the wording of your reply makes it sound like moving from AVG to Avast slowed down your computer. Clarify?
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
On 8/14/2011 8:23 AM, Steve Turner wrote:

No kidding ... inquiring minds.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Avira rules. So says David Lipman, and I do trust him.
--
Best regards
Han

It did, but not as much as I had remembered. Avast cut my comp speed a bit, and I had to remove Spybot Search and Destroy, too. My comp really slowed with Spybot's TeaTimer program--a 30% drop in computer speed. Ghastly! I had used both for a time, neither happily, and a friend suggested MSE, which I've been very happy with. I removed SSAD first, then later replaced Avast with MSE.
So, I'm using MSE realtime and Advanced System Care weekly. What else, if anything, do I need, condomwise, guys and girls?
-- Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort. -- Franklin D. Roosevelt
In typed:

WRONG. Use the Norton removal tool and remove all the objects required to be removed. It is NOT necessary, and is less effective, to try to use a registry cleaner if you are a newbie to such things and pick the wrong one. A couple are great programs; others not so great, others better for newbies.

WRONG. Norton's footprint is now very small and they even show it in a monitor if you wsh to watch it at work in real time. McAfee I no longer bother checking out but you have obvously not checked anything out about any of the programs you speak of; you are way behind the times and are presenting misinformation on almost everything you mention.
HTH,
Twayne`

On 8/15/2011 7:10 PM, Twayne wrote:

The problem with the Norton removal tool is that it has to be used over and over to get all of Norton out. It may say the removal is complete but until you actually get the message that all has been removed after several runs, it ain't all out. And then there are specks of it floating around. Perhaps you are not familiar with how it works with older versions of Norton's array of products.

Yeah, it was alright, too. But _now_ look who owns it. Slymantec. I'll bet they ruined -it-, too.
-- ...in order that a man may be happy, it is necessary that he should not only be capable of his work, but a good judge of his work. -- John Ruskin
On 8/16/2011 12:22 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

They acquired it back when Win 95 came out, Norton Navigator copied it and another popular file manager. Then they ditched it like several other industry leading softare's
There is a current PCTools however I don't think it is the same.

"Leon" wrote in message

They acquired it back when Win 95 came out, Norton Navigator copied it and another popular file manager. Then they ditched it like several other industry leading softare's
There is a current PCTools however I don't think it is the same.
================= With MS putting out two excellent virus scanners these out-of-date companies will be out of business soon, anyway.
Why would people pay for something that is much better free? They are more settable and completely transparent and limit their CPU usage by user control. They update twice per day sometimes.
--
Eric

says...

Which "two excellent virus scanners" would those be? Microsoft security essentials has little performance overhead but it's not terribly effective either. Is Microsoft Safety Scanner any better?

Yeah, but they don't find or block stuff that the better commercial products do block.
Note that I do not consider any Norton product to be "the better commercial products".
On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 08:15:24 -0700, Larry Jaques

I used to refer to him as St. Peter.

Agreed!
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
"Leon" wrote:

I was also a PC Tools fan.
SFWIW, found Power Desk from Avanquest to be a good replacement.
Lew