OT: HELP pelase, WinXP

Page 3 of 3

<snip>

Disks, as in plural? I had a machine with RAID1, 2 drives mirroring each other. Windows update always screwed this up, so I finally killed the RAID. But before that, I could take out one of the drives, and the machone would boot fine. Can you go down to just one hard drive and see whether the machine will boot?
--
Best regards
Han

Thanks Han.
Done that, no diff. No drives attached to RAID header, never were.
-Zz

Does that suggest you should try to NOT have the RAID be called from the BIOS, or whatever?
--
Best regards
Han

I can't find a way to stop it. When I enter the RAID setup, all the choices a grayed out, and it lists "No Drive"
The RAID bio screen has flashed since the day I set it up.
On 8/19/2010 5:48 PM, Zz Yzx wrote:

Curiouser and curiouser. Could she have tried to set up a RAID?
On 8/19/10 6:04 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

The RAID may have been turned on when windows was set up and silently failed upon not seeing an array of drives. Disable the RAID in the BIOS, and maybe the fail is a bit more catastrophic?
Just a wild guess.
--
Froz...

Not a chance. She has no idea what it is, or how to access it.
I lost a motherboard in the shop - it was naturally the only LSI chip that didn't have a heat sink - Disk controller...
From the Bios, I found I could read the voltages in the system. That might be instructive. If one is flaky or bad - it detects it early.
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net "Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Originator & Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /
On 8/19/2010 4:36 PM, Zz Yzx wrote:

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 20:34:05 -0500, "Martin H. Eastburn"

likely have either 4 or 6, depending on the board design.. IF you can find a board that uses the same chipset the hard drive will plug on and run the system just fine on the new board - otherwise you will need to do some re-installing of the OS and drivers.
More likely you will also need to replace the CPU and RAM because you won't be able to locate a compatible board. ASUS uses a lot of solid caps now - which are supposed to be better than the old electrolitics - but even the ASUS P5QPL-AM board I installed on a customer's system the other week had 6 electrolytics in the power section - where they usually blow - and the solid caps are touted as 5000 hr in the voltage regulator module (I assume at 105C - the temp rating of the caps)
Don't know about you, but 208.33 days doesn't sound like long life to me.
If they run at 65 degrees instead of 105, the lifespan should be closer to 50,000 hours - which is a bit over 5.5 years. - which is respectable but not exemplary life.
Try this: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t 9401
http://www.helpwithpcs.com/upgrading...beep-codes.htm
AWARD BIOS ERROR BEEP CODES
There are 2 main beep codes for the Award BIOS:
* one long beep and two short beeps - Video error (reseat or replace video card) * two short beeps - Non-Fatal Error (reseat RAM, check other components)
Zz Yzx wrote:

Try this: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t 9401
http://www.helpwithpcs.com/upgrading...beep-codes.htm
AWARD BIOS ERROR BEEP CODES
There are 2 main beep codes for the Award BIOS:
* one long beep and two short beeps - Video error (reseat or replace video card) * two short beeps - Non-Fatal Error (reseat RAM, check other components)

Try this: forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t9401

http://www.helpwithpcs.com/upgrading/post-beep-codes.htm