OT: HELP pelase, WinXP

Page 1 of 3

Sorry for the OT post, but I'm a little desparate.
My daughter did SOMETHING, I don't know what.
Now, on boot-up,her computer just cycles through the motherboard splash screen, then the WinXP splash screen, then the RAID screen, and repeats. And repeats. And repeats. Over and over again.
If I try to boot in Safe Mode, sometimes I get 3 beeps. Other times, it just ignores the Safe Mode and goes through the loop described above. Over and over and over.......
I can't find any reference to the beep codes.
It's a 5-6 yr old Soyo SY-5EMA+ ver. 2 MB.
Any help appreciated.
And thanks a heap,
-Zz
On the install CD you can boot off that and there are repair utilities that can sometimes fix things for you. If the basic system boots then you know the hardware is good.
Sorry for the OT post, but I'm a little desparate.
My daughter did SOMETHING, I don't know what.
Now, on boot-up,her computer just cycles through the motherboard splash screen, then the WinXP splash screen, then the RAID screen, and repeats. And repeats. And repeats. Over and over again.
If I try to boot in Safe Mode, sometimes I get 3 beeps. Other times, it just ignores the Safe Mode and goes through the loop described above. Over and over and over.......
I can't find any reference to the beep codes.
It's a 5-6 yr old Soyo SY-5EMA+ ver. 2 MB.
Any help appreciated.
And thanks a heap,
-Zz

a Y shaped indentation if the caps are good. If ANY of them are somewhat bulged on the top, the motherboard has failed. A decent tech can replace the bad caps - but usually just as cheap to replace/upgrade the motherboard (and usually re-install windows, or at least the required drivers). Generally can be done without losing any data if you know a little about what you are doing.

Mine have "X" shapes, and two adjacent ones look bulged and heated.

Sadly, not so. It's an older board (I mispoke, it's a Soyo KT600). I'd also have to replace/upgrade RAM, graphics board, and probably HDD (most new boards only support SATA), OS, &tc. I'll check around, but it's an expensive endeavor

I've taught my daughters to store the important stuff (to them, that's 1000's of pics and mp3's) on a separate HD from that w/ the OS, so I can blow it out when I need to.
Thanks for the informative response.
-Zz
Zz Yzx wrote:

If need be, there are inexpensive adapters to use IDE drives with SATA
--

dadiOH
____________________________

There are lots of outboard enclosures for IDE drives that connect via USB. I like the Vantec NexStar GX as it has a cooling fan and is easy to set up. So once you get your new machine (I just went through this with a top-of-the-line Dell and Dell's grossly overpriced repair parts) you can recover your data with minimal hassle even though your new motherboard will be all-SATA.
Many of the PC Boards these days used in CPU applications are 7 layer boards and you cannot solder them.

Mine have "X" shapes, and two adjacent ones look bulged and heated.

Sadly, not so. It's an older board (I mispoke, it's a Soyo KT600). I'd also have to replace/upgrade RAM, graphics board, and probably HDD (most new boards only support SATA), OS, &tc. I'll check around, but it's an expensive endeavor

I've taught my daughters to store the important stuff (to them, that's 1000's of pics and mp3's) on a separate HD from that w/ the OS, so I can blow it out when I need to.
Thanks for the informative response.
-Zz
*snip*

*snip*
Many of the online retailers still have older boards. They're usually quite inexpensive, between $20-100.
Two that are worth checking out are NewEgg (www.newegg.com) and Computer Geeks (www.geeks.com). I've dealt with both multiple times, and am usually satisfied.
Puckdropper

I have had good experiences with Newegg, except for a computer case that had a dead powersupply. It took some time, but it got all straightened out. I have and will use them whenever there is a good deal I can use.
--
Best regards
Han
I have had good experiences with Newegg, except for a computer case that had a dead powersupply. It took some time, but it got all straightened out. I have and will use them whenever there is a good deal I can use.
--
Best regards
Han
email address is invalid

Mine was partly a shipping problem. The case was probably either not packaged well enough, or thrown around too much, and arrived in a state that it would really close well. What exactly was wrong with the power supply, I don't know, but it didn't work.
I've ordered many times without any problems from Newegg.
--
Best regards
Han

I was gonna order from newegg, once, but backed off. I forget why, but reading their website reveals they charge a restocking fee on too many returns. Hey, you ship me crap and I got pay a fee? Screw that.
nb

I can see a restocking fee if I just change my mind and want to return something for no particular reason (and if their return policy was clear when I purchased). There is such a thing as the returnaholic customer and I figure stores can have policies to discourage that behavior provided they make those policies clear. But demanding someone pay return shipping on a *defective* product is way over the line IMO.
Zz Yzx wrote:

The mobo manual doesn't list the beep codes?
First thing I'd do is go into the BIOS and make sure the hard drive is being recognized. If so, maybe do a "repair" install of XP from the install CD. You won't lose any of your stuff.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

You'd think so, but no. And I can't find them on teh net.

Open the cover and make sure ALL cards & RAM are seated in their sockets. Disconnect ALL attachments (printer/USB) except video, mouse, keyboard. Try a different mouse, keyboard combo.
Any dust inside - suck it out.
Have you added any new hardware, software?
CYA Steve

If you can get to safe mode,
To keep the puter from rebooting constantly,
Start to Settings
Control Panel
System
Startup and Recovery
In the System failure area
uncheck Automatically Restart.
As to what is wrong a change of battery would not be a bad idea as to start. Check all the connections to the MB.
I had a bad memory stick drive me nuts. It rebooted over and over and messed up the hard drive to the point of no return, good luck.
Mark
On 8/19/2010 10:02 AM, Zz Yzx wrote:

You mentioned RAID--if there's a RAID controller on board go into the BIOS setup and make sure that the RAID controller is turned on.
Also, 6 years old, see if there's a coin battery on the motherboard--if so try replacing it--it might have died resulting in the machine forgetting its setup--you'll have to redo the setup if that's the problem, and if you didn't write down the original settings then you may have to do some trial and error.
On 8/19/10 12:47 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

some have their own battery. Check both, depending on the controller you have.
--
Froz...