OT Health Care

Don't know who told you this, but it's common knowledge that the Canadian medical industry fights tooth and nail to have all paid for medical treatment done here in Canada.

There may be some exception to the rule in effect here, but it's notoriously difficult to get Canadian authorized medical treatments out of country. It makes sense too, since the Canadian medical industry profits are zero with such treatments. Not that it never happens, just that it' very uncommon. I believe the closest one might come to such a service is if it's considered a dire medical necessity and covered under travel insurance.

Reply to
Upscale

That's possible and it might be my lack of province knowledge showing. :) All I remember seeing on the news were rivers flooding to historical highs and they were out west somewhere.

Reply to
Upscale

I agree with that assessment. And, it might possibly be that if those newer systems have any faults in them, they haven't been in operation long enough to show. The British and Canadian systems have been in operation for a long time. While they've remained pretty static in their operation, their populations have changed over time and the existing systems haven't exactly kept pace.

Reply to
Upscale

Likewise ... married to a British subject at the time, I spent 18 months under NHS.

My oldest daughter is a British subject and lives in Sheffield with SIL and two small children, both of whom have been ill lately. She is NOT happy with the care her children are receiving under NHS (and "Collaborative GP", whatever the hell that is) and wondering why the hell we would want to follow suit.

Her continuing caution, having lived under both (US/UK) systems: "Do not change your health care system to one like ours, you will be sorry!"

Reply to
Swingman

" procedure for the time they are in LA. The Canadian health care

Rusty did write this lol more careful editing please

Reply to
Rusty

Precisely my sister's words! But you don't need the relatives or first hand experience, just look at the BBC news. Every day there is something about the NHS failing or struggling. Yesterday it was police in Wales complaining that they are doing far too many 'ambulance' runs in squad cars and they think it is just a matter of time before somebody dies on them.

's one from today:

[Long wait for mental health help

Some people seeking mental health services in Scotland are kept waiting for more than a year, the public spending watchdog has revealed.

Audit Scotland said there was a lack of information on national waiting times.

But "very long waits" in some areas may reflect a wider trend, its Overview of Mental Health Services report concluded.

It found waits of between 58 and 77 weeks for psychological therapies in two areas covered by NHS Highland.

In Tayside, 40% of older people referred to psychology services were waiting longer than 18 weeks. ]

And they say the wait has "improved".

Reply to
LD

Really?

Reply to
LD

What if you've got the kind of cancer that kills you in 63 days but you have to wait 62 days to start treatment?

Reply to
HeyBub

It is hard to stay out of this discussion. Opinions and facts get all mixed up when people outside of Canada offer their opinions of OUR system. :-) (Unlike MY opinion on their politics..LOL.. at least I do my homework.)

Angela is deeply entrenched in the healthcare system as her profession. Her involvement deals with all facets, from emergency admissions (heart & stroke) to MRI bookings and rehab. It could be that our city is small ( about 70,000) but she has access to that MRI 24/7. Seldom a wait more than minutes.... usually waiting for stand-by staff to get there. At least in Heart & Stroke, there ain't no time to wait. Ever. Healthcare at its best.

You want a replacement knee? Not so much. You want to see an orthopaedic surgeon because your thumb feels icky? You wait a loooong time.

You remove half your face on the asphalt after a motorcycle accident? You're on the table in minutes. I think they have their priorities figured out pretty well.

If I had it MY way, the 2-pack-a-day lung-cancer patient would be at the end of the line; if he/she doesn't give a shit about their health, why should anybody else?

Reply to
Robatoy

Then they have 1 day to cure you. No problem. Obama can do anything.

Reply to
krw

Not really many, breast cancer survival is one of the very few health indicators where the US is near the top. In almost all other health indicators you may want to pick, Canadian outcomes are better, as are other countries=92. The US is at the bottom of rich countries when it comes to life expectancy and infant mortality. Some third world countries like Cuba and Costa Rica do almost as well as the US.

If you want to see actual data on a number of indicators, you can go to the World Health Organization=92s web site where they have data on most countries and look at how the US compares to other countries.

figures for the =93CONCORD=94 study show that the US had the second best breast cancer survival rate in the world in the late 80s-early

90s and Canada was number 3, but they were pretty close. However, blacks in the US had considerably lower survival rates. What some people don't like to point out is that the No. 1 country in terms of breast cancer survival rates is that pesky commie island to the south of Florida. Yup, Cuba.

For a news story, see:

a copy of the original =93CONCORD=94 study
more recent study comparing Ontario & California in the late 90s early 21st Century, high and middle income Americans seems to be below Canada, although not statistically significant. However, lower income Americans had much lower survival rates. You can see this paper at:

$FILE/AnnEpidemiol2009.pdfSo as long as they=92re not black and/or poor, American women with breast cancers live about the same time as Canadian women.

Luigi

Reply to
luigirecnorm

Not really many, breast cancer survival is one of the very few health indicators where the US is near the top. In almost all other health indicators you may want to pick, Canadian outcomes are better, as are other countries?. The US is at the bottom of rich countries when it comes to life expectancy and infant mortality. Some third world countries like Cuba and Costa Rica do almost as well as the US. ===========================================================

Including the Insured in the US?

Reply to
LD

Be careful with statistics like those--some countries count an infant that dies within an hour of birth as a stillbirth for example, that doesn't count against either life expectancy or infant mortality, while the US counts such deaths as infant mortality.

Reply to
J. Clarke

You are quite correct in pointing out that we have to be careful with the source of statistics. In this case, the WHO has fairly strict definitions about what they mean and how countries should collect and measure them. See:

the details on all the indicators.

In the case of infant mortality, the definition is quite clear:

So if countries follow the WHO guidelines, then the definition is the same as in the US.

Reply to
luigirecnorm

Be careful with attribution ...

Reply to
LD

Health care improvement in Cuba was the number one project of Castro during the cold war and was subsidized by the USSR. Under Castro Cuba's medical system became world class. Since the demise of the USSR, and the loss of it's funding, Cuba still has top notch medical care but it has become a two tier system of those wealthy enough to afford treatment and those that are not.

Reply to
Nova

Here's a ranking chart:

of the discrepancy depends on how you count. When a VERY premature baby is born in the US, enormous efforts are undertake to keep it alive. Tragically, many of these efforts fail and the resulting death is counted as "infant mortality."

In some countries, the one-kilo baby is discarded and tabulated as "stillbirth."

Another point is this, the US is an extremely diverse country. Very many races, educational and income levels, ethnic communities, varied languages, differing traditions and associations, disparities in incomes, weather, and support facilities. A problem of enormous impact in one community (say gang-warfare in black ghettos) affects the average for the entire country.

If you take the health-care statistics for a homogeneous country - like Germany or Haiti - and obtain the statistics for a similar ethnic/income/education group in the U.S., I predict the results will favor the U.S.

Reply to
HeyBub