OT Health Care

Page 1 of 4
I'm just curious about the health care systems in Canada & Great Britain. They are currently running TV ads here in the States saying that Canadians and Brits are refused certain health care or have months and even years of delays before they receive treatments for some illnesses.
I for one, as an American, believe the is total BS put out by the Insurance Companies and the Pharmaceutical Companies of the U.S.
I would like to hear from some of the Canadian and British readers of the sawdust wreck about what it is really like you you respective countries when it comes to health care.
Cooniedawg
On 5/13/2009 9:31 AM Cooniedog spake thus:

Good questions. I suggest renting a copy of Michael Moore's "Sicko" for a good comparative look at health-care systems across the world.

David Nebenzahl wrote:

I suggest that if you rent it you do so for a good example of propaganda.
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Geithner on his Income Taxes.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

So please treat us to a short analysis of where, exactly, Moore is wrong about the badness of the U.S. health-care system as compared to other countries. I look forward to this.

David Nebenzahl wrote:

profit docudrama and claim its FACT! Moore is a buffoon!
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

I see you've chosen the Hannity/Limbaugh, et al, method of assertion by bellowing--"it's true because I SAY IT IS and you're just a liberal idiot".
Thanks for playing.

David Nebenzahl wrote:

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Is this another argument brewing? Can I play? Mike Marlow says he won't play with me anymore so I need a new fight. :)
Just to keep this argument on woodworking, let's all carve toothpicks and start poking each other. Hey Mike, you can play too if you promise not to poke me too hard.
:)
David Nebenzahl wrote:

title is correct) very proudly made an announcement that the waiting list for coronary bypass surgery was down to ONLY 400 patients.

And last year in the UK they got the waiting Time for care of Critical Cancer patients down to Six Months.
On Thu, 14 May 2009 09:08:40 +0000, LD wrote:

Cite please.

My bad. They got it down to Sixty Two Days. Of course, with some cancers you're dead in 62 days.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/7894641.stm
On 5/14/2009 1:31 PM LD spake thus:

Slightly misleading. First of all, we were talking about England, I thought, and this refers to Scotland.
In any case, it isn't a "62-day waiting period": the article says "The target, set in 2000, requires that 95% of patients begin treatment within 62 days of being urgently referred." This means, I'm assuming, that there is a *maximum* allowable time of 62 days until the patient is treated. Presumably, those with more urgent cancers may be treated sooner.

*UK* What part of *UK* is Scotland?

Or MAY NOT.
And, lest you trot into malformed uninformed notions ...
1. My sister lives in England. 2. I have 2 cousins living in England. 3. I have 2 cousins living in Scotland. 4. I have nieces and nephews living in England. 5. I have second cousins all over the UK. 6. I communicate with these people. 7. Their biggest gripe is the NHS. 8. My sister and her family lived in the US for five years. 9. I was Born in the UK. 10. I spent six months in a National Health Hospital.
LD wrote:

Likewise ... married to a British subject at the time, I spent 18 months under NHS.
My oldest daughter is a British subject and lives in Sheffield with SIL and two small children, both of whom have been ill lately. She is NOT happy with the care her children are receiving under NHS (and "Collaborative GP", whatever the hell that is) and wondering why the hell we would want to follow suit.
Her continuing caution, having lived under both (US/UK) systems: "Do not change your health care system to one like ours, you will be sorry!"
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Precisely my sister's words! But you don't need the relatives or first hand experience, just look at the BBC news. Every day there is something about the NHS failing or struggling. Yesterday it was police in Wales complaining that they are doing far too many 'ambulance' runs in squad cars and they think it is just a matter of time before somebody dies on them.
http://news.bbc.co.uk /
Here's one from today:
[Long wait for mental health help
Some people seeking mental health services in Scotland are kept waiting for more than a year, the public spending watchdog has revealed.
Audit Scotland said there was a lack of information on national waiting times.
But "very long waits" in some areas may reflect a wider trend, its Overview of Mental Health Services report concluded.
It found waits of between 58 and 77 weeks for psychological therapies in two areas covered by NHS Highland.
In Tayside, 40% of older people referred to psychology services were waiting longer than 18 weeks. ]
And they say the wait has "improved".
LD wrote:

If you've got a type of cancer that's going to kill you in less than 62 days most likely any treatment you'd received during that time wouldn't help.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Really?
Nova wrote:

What if you've got the kind of cancer that kills you in 63 days but you have to wait 62 days to start treatment?