OT: He didn't 'Beat It' this time.

Michael Jackson dead. Helluva talent Helluva freak.

Reply to
Robatoy

Not my kind of entertainment.

Living the life he lived, can understand why his lifestyle can only be described weird.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

He was proof that America is great!

Where else could a poor black boy grow up to be a rich white man and marry Elvis Presley's daughter?

Reply to
HeyBub

after so much plastic surgery, maybe he can be recycled ...

Reply to
Matt

Sexual molesting children is not "weird", it is evil...

Reply to
Tim Daneliuk

What is the difference between a shopping bag and Michael jackson? One is plastic and dangerous to children, the other is used to carry groceries.

Reply to
Robatoy

I didn't think he was mine either, until I caught one of his videos while I was waiting for a diagnostic to complete on a computer I was fixing at a video store.

If you've never seen a Micheal Jackson video you should. Great fun. Gets old fairly quickly though. It's like he was _made_ for that medium.

Yep.

Reply to
J. Clarke

He was acquitted, no?

-- Doug

Reply to
Douglas Johnson

So was OJ ...

Reply to
Swingman

I'm too young to really have an informed opinion, but others have been saying that he practically *defined* that medium in the early 80s.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

"Tim Daneliuk" wrote

One comment I heard was that his gretest musical accomplishment was buying the beatle's song library.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

;)

Reply to
Tim Daneliuk

Yeah, that can be a problem--his videos were smooth and slick in their day, but I can see where they might look a little dated and rough now.

I ignored him for most of his career, thought of him as just "the kid in the Jackson 5". I kind of liked "Thriller" on the radio, in part because of the Vincent Price voiceover, but not enough to buy it. But then I saw the video. Like, wow.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Indeed. In some European countries, IMMSMC, Switzerland being one, they not only have a Found Not Guilty finding but also one that say Found Innocent. MJ and OJ were not likely to be blessed with a Found Innocent finding. In OJ's case the civil suit kind of shows that.

Reply to
Robatoy

His greatest non-musical accomplishment was to make HUGE sums of money and die $500,000,000 in debt. Bank of America alone loaned him $200,000,000.

Seems strange (to me) that an individual could get himself 1/2 a Billion dollars in debt. The town (not the school district) I live in could run for years on that amount...

Reply to
Jack Stein

I heard he was going to be re-cycled into Lego bricks so that chidren could play with him instead of the other way round!

Reply to
Stuart

Which seems to work out to exactly the same thing.

Scotland has a "Not Guilty" and "Not Proven." There is a nuance in the=20 sensibility but legally they mean "Not Guilty."

Reply to
phorbin

Amadeus suffered from severe manic depression. In his manic periods he gave us an amazing quantity of amazing music. But he did a lot of crazy things that make much of what's done today look pretty tame.

Gaugan - dead beat dad who skipped the country and hung out with "half naked" (not sure which half was naked) polynesian girls.

Lautrec - addicted to absinthe and hung out in bars and bordellos. Died of syphillis.

Van Gough - started out borderline insane then probably ingested some of the recently introduced Cadmium Yellow he used so much. Think cutting off your ear and sending it to a woman you lusted after would take up a day of two on Fox News?

Oscar Wilde - hardly a role model for "proper people".

Beardsley - an opium user and a perv.

Poppa Hemingway - drunk, beligerant drunk who blew his brains out with a shot gun. Nice thing to leave your family to deal with huh?

Picasso? Not likely to be elected Father of The Year, or Husband of the Year either.

Salvador Dali - clearly what would be called A Nut Case.

Sinatra? Not exactly a Pillar of the Community - barring the community of Las Vegas, and maybe Jersey.

The list is endless.

But judge the Art for what it is - and judge the Artist and his/her personal life separately.

Micheal Jackson revived the music industry and put the New Medium - music videos into the culture - like it or not. He had a significant impact on popular music and culture

- and saved the Gloves Industry - "single handedly" ; )

Reply to
charlieb

Neither was his charity bandied about, but if you dig around a little bit, you find it.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Nicely done, charlie.