OT: Have we become that stupid ..

Could be worse: try "American Hot Rod". The Teutels are organizational *geniuses* compared to that megalomaniac Coddington. The funniest bit is how he is genuinely *surprised* when his best people leave to work for his competition.
Lee

That is funny. Usually don't watch this but I saw a couple recent episodes. You are right. He is crazy, obsessive, etc. He had a guy design some wheels for Chip Foose. And felt like this guy was some kinda ultimate scumbag for doing so. How incredibly short sighted.
He should just take a cut and encourage his guys to do more outside work. Bring in some more money.
As it is, he trained a guy who became very good at his craft. Then he kicked him out. He will go back to doing this with a lot of other people. If he treated his people better, they would stay around longer.
Now this guy who got kicked out has a super resume. He can just give his new boss a tape of how he got fired from American Hot Rod. He is obviously qualified.
Besides, the guy makes unimaginative copies of very old design hot rods. Nothing inspirational or original.
On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 15:31:48 -0400, "Lee Michaels"
[re: Boyd Coddington]

Well, you gotta admit that Impala motorcycle in the latest sequence was original. Butt-ugliest piece of metal on the planet, but original.
Lee

...and not the brains nor the sense to realise that this is a woodworking conference like it says in the title.
"Guess who" wrote in message

wrote:
with
And who the hell held a gun to your head and forced you into reading, and particpating in, a thread clearly marked "OT" from the get go?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/29/05
Swingman wrote:

This kind of discussion is a lot like shop life. Last week, a friend was in my shop doing some turning--he's better than I am. I was sharpening some tools--I'm better than he is. We talked about the two things we were doing, then went on to talk about our families (bitch, bitch, bitch) and the "new" car he recently picked up, a '72 Dodge Demon he's restoring. I think we also covered a parts store he used to run and a couple other items, but we didn't get back to talking woodworking until the woodworking was done.
"Charlie Self" wrote in message

Yep ... it can be a pleasure discussing various topics with like minded folks. You just have to keep reminding yourself that even the new shop kitten, purr as she does most of the time, will reach out and bite when you step on her toes.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/29/05

You know that's a crock. Plenty of participants have wood in their blood. It is the only prerequisite. We all need a hug sometime...
Swingman wrote:

G'day all, I can only begin to imagine what it is like for those people caught in the storm. No matter how many brain cells each of them have, my heart goes out to each and everyone of them.(With the exception of the looters who can all rot in hell). To any who read this and have relatives or friends in the area, I wish you a happy outcome. A link that just about sums it up regarding reporters and others. http://www.illwillpress.com/kat.html Thoughts are with you all John

Once again, Foamy the Squirrel says what needs to be said.
Thanks for the link.
djb

I've often suspected that the local bozos here in H-town can't wait to do a spot from the Galveston seawall, standing in front of a wind machine while a colleague sprays water from a hose on them. The local NBC affiliate in particular. It's always tonight's "BIG STORY."
--
"New Wave" Dave In Houston

Eggsactly... AND if it is such a big story or crucial news why do we have to wait sometimes till the next day to get this life saving or valuable information? Give it to us NOW.
i've been reading this post but whats funny is how did people survive for so many centuries.... well just heard from my girlfriend is going up by a dollar by midnight tonight thats almost 4.00 a gallon good luck everybody
badaztek wrote:

??????
Uh, 'girlfriend' might not be quite the right word to use here...
--

FF

$3 per gallon is about 80 cents per litre UK price is about $1.60 (90p) per litre so you have quite a way to go yet!
Bob Martin wrote:

Right now, price spikes are putting gas in some areas of Atlanta at European levels--six bucks a gallon.
Point being, though, that the retention of gas hog vehicles and keeping them filled even though prices have increased by over 100% in not much over a year (with most of that increase very recent, though), is not in the best interests of anyone that I know (I obvioiusly don't know Dick Cheney and his oilman buddies). Gas will rise here, and the refiners and distributors will pocket the extra cash, or pass it on to lobbyists to hand to legislators and other politicians, while you and most other Europeans at least see it going as tax money meant for the public good (one can then argue about just what is the public good, and whether or not any is provided, but that's the intent, while here it is simply price gouging to further fill some already lavishly porked out pockets).
Too, it's not so much the price increase, but the speed of the increase, that is causing the problems.
Add to that our "just in time" system of truck based delivery of damned near everything from everywhere, and some of the problems come into focus, or closer to focus. I don't know what system Europe uses for delivery of goods over long distances, but here, with 3000 miles from east to west, and a bit more than half that from north to south, diesel delivers. And diesel fuel has risen apace. Which means that large transportation surcharges are going to be added to just about everything we buy, whether a head of lettuce, or a pair of pants or a 40' extension ladder or the brush and gallon of paint you carry up that ladder.
As someone said, the Fed is going to have some problems with all of this, because the economy can easily tank after this debacle, in the face of rising costs, but if they're not careful with interest rates and monetary supply, inflation could reach 1980 levels in a rush...maybe two weeks.
I had predicted three buck a gallon gasoline by Christmas, figuring that could give the Ali Baba and the rest of the oil thieves (far more than 40, though)a nice present. I was told I was nuts, that it would hang just above $2. Ayup. I didn't predict any disaster on this scale--who could? But my guess is that by this time next year, the U.S. will be lucky to see regular unleaded gasoline at under five bucks a gallon. Once the oil thieves get to a price level, it NEVER drops back for more than a few weeks.
And I hope I'm wrong.
[...]

The very same. Every piece of shit is transported just in time to where someone thinks there is a need for it to be handled once, then it's transported back to the other end of Europe to be packaged, and back again to be sold. Obviously transportation is much too cheap.

You would think that we learned nothing from the Enron scam when they sold energy to California. They bought and sold energy back and forth between non existing companies to jack the price up. Now we have probably 8 major oil companies that have merged into 4 and have shut down 1/2 of their refining capacity. Essentially eliminating 1/2 of the competition. On top of that they use the media as a gauge as to how far they can raise the prices. The mere suggestion from the media of prices going up and the oil companies follow the news lead "immediately". If the media would report the news and not speculate what may happen perhaps the fuel prices would go down. Has any one really seen a shortage? The oil companies have created the so called shortage by cutting production.
Leon wrote: ...

Data?
Which proverbial "they" is that?

As has been noted ad nauseum, oil and gasoline contract prices are set on the world commodities markets, the largest of which is the NYMEX (NY Mercantile).
There is limited production and refining flexibility on the up side primarily owing to the limitations in ability to site new facilities for primarily environmental and other activist causes over the last 20 years...
US new exploration is down for similar reasons combined w/ the fact that until the pretty recent upswing low prices made more expensive sites uneconomic in small part.
"Leon" wrote in message

top
the
Absolutely ... despite protestations from the industry and government, the .25/gallon jump we saw in one afternoon day before yesterday has 'gouging' written all over it.
The bullshit about justifying the increase due to having to pay more for replacement is just that. Any increased cost in replacement is passed on the consumer, post delivery, but the 20,000 gallons in the storage tanks under those stations on Tuesday morning made for one hell of a profit after sale that evening.
Not to mention one factor no one ever brings up ... refinery raw stock is commodity traded and, as such, much of what is being refined is bought on long term contract at a much lower cost than the current price per barrel.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/29/05