OT: Happy Queen Victoria Day all you Canuckistani Wreckers and Farkers.

A client of mine gave me a couple of pounds of venison, the vandalia onions the Shriners bring in every year are ready for pick up and I have to feed some friends. Oh darn it all!
So happy Vickkie Day !!

My Vike day was May 5, when my sister Victoria had her birthday. You know that May 5 is a holiday in Holland ...
Now busy preparing for Memorial Day down here in Jersey when we celebrate 2 birthdays in the family that fall close together.
--
Best regards
Han

Stinko de Mayo?
Dave in Houston

Glad you asked. May 5 is the celebration of the surrender of the Germans in Holland at the end of WWII. A Canadian general, Foulkes, accepted the surrender in the town I grew up in, Wageningen.
--
Best regards
Han

Reading your post reminded me of my time in The Netherlands. I suspect that properly pronouncing Wageningen is about like trying to pronounce Scheveningen, which I was never able to do to much Dutch friends' satisfaction.
We (my wife, 2 kids and I) lived for 3 1/2 years in Nootdorp ("Nut Village" to most wreckers) about 5 clicks from Delft. The milkman also delivered Grolsch beer, something that endeared him to me. My friends in ND still send me 2 bottles of Genever each year, one Jonge, one Oude. I learned early - never drink Genever and Pils with a Dutchman while playing chess for 2 Guilders a game. It gets expensive. That I learned in the bar at the Grand Hotel Krasnapolski in Amsterdam.
A fabulous people, a facinating country, great beer, good food (The Dirty Nelly in Delft and Nieuwe Herring) for example). Both my kids left ND chattering away in Dutch, which they learned on the streets. They both are still reasonably fluent, morer so than I.
What more could one ask.
All the best Han and please excuse any mis-spellings. I haven't used Dutch in 20 years.
Dag.
Tom
"Han" wrote:

----------------------------------------- When it come to suds from the land of wooden shoes, I'll take "Little Greenies", AKA: Heineken.
Light or dark, they both work for me.
Lew

To me, as a former Quebecker, the Dutch greenie is "gros gin", AKA DeKuyper, AKA Genever.
And no, you don't make G&Ts out of it. It is used in the sovereign traditional qubcois remedy for a bad cold - mix a generous portion of Genever with lemon, honey, hot water & cinnamon (or was it nutmeg).
Bonne fte Dollard. or is it Bonne fte de la reine. ;-)
Luigi

To me, as a former Quebecker, the Dutch greenie is "gros gin", AKA DeKuyper, AKA Genever. ------------------------------------------------------------------- There was a time when I was not allowed to travel in Quebec lest I be captured by Parti Quebecois ... Around 1982.

Elaborate please? This interests me a great deal on many levels.
On Mon, 24 May 2010 10:13:37 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

There was a period in Quebec when the Parti Quebecois was "vigourously" pursuing separation from the rest of Canada. Blowing up mailboxes, abducting and killing folks who disagreed (e.g. Rene Levesque if I remember correctly).
I was born and raised in Montreal, though both my parents were US citizens. I am a graduate of Lachine High School and spoke French (OK, French Canadian) on the street and English at home. My father, a diplomat, had to remove the CD (Corps Diplomatique) plates from the car for fear of being abducted. He had RCMP protection around the house for a time as our next door neighbour was the Colonel Commanding the Royal 22nd Regiment (the Van Doos). I was at Ga Tech during this period but things were a bit tense back home. I'm glad things calmed down.
Regards.
Tom

I remember going for a job interview trying to make few sheckles for school. The guy asked me if the offered wage was adequate and my reply was "what can I expect for war-time help?" (This was during the time of LaPorte's kidnapping and Prime Minister Trudeau proclaiming The War Measures Act.) The guy had NO sense of ha-ha.
It showed some balls for the PM to do that. I kind of grew fond of that obnoxious fuck, even though he was quite pink. (Nixon's tapes mentioned his disdain for Trudeau "what an asshole!")
On Mon, 24 May 2010 12:03:30 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

You are quite correct, it was Pierre Laporte, Vice Premier and Minster of Labour for the Province of Quebec, who was abducted and killed by the FLQ (Front de libration du Qubec) in 1970. It was a bad time.
On 5/24/10 3:18 PM, Tom B wrote:

Don't forget James Cross.
--
Froz...

Yes. TomB said it. Bad times indeed. The FLQ did take heed when Trudeau said: "Watch me."
On Mon, 24 May 2010 12:03:30 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

I was born in Montreal and lived there for my first 12 years, but luckily for our family, my father was able too see what was coming. He was doing well as an aeronautical engineer for Wright Aeronautical and Pratt and Whitney, but even so, started going to school nights and eventually got his accreditation as a school teacher in Math, History and World Politics. We moved to Toronto in 1966 and managed to escape what was coming in Quebec. He often commented that Rene Levesque drove us out of Quebec.

I remember going for a job interview trying to make few sheckles for school. The guy asked me if the offered wage was adequate and my reply was "what can I expect for war-time help?" (This was during the time of LaPorte's kidnapping and Prime Minister Trudeau proclaiming The War Measures Act.) The guy had NO sense of ha-ha. -------------------------------------------------------------------------- 'Crats never do. The guy who told me my restrictions were for "life and beyond" did not take kindly to my burst of laughter and question: "What are you going to do, send somebody after me?"

Elaborate please? This interests me a great deal on many levels.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------- I was doing contract work for NSA, CIA, and DIA at the time. The PQ had an extremist wing and the US Government had a Paranoid Wing. I haven't done anything of interest that way since 1994, but have restrictions for "life and beyond".

You can't do that when playing chess with a Dane or a Portuguese either!