OT: Hand/Twist "Garden Tiller"

Page 2 of 3
RE: Subject
It's Round-Up time if you ever expect to win the war.
Lew
On 4/14/2015 5:07 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

I don't find Roundup working well anymore. I think the weeds have become resistant to it. The farmers are having major problems with it.
--
Jeff

Lew Hodgett wrote:

I went to the web site. The version designed for Poison-ivy and brush (and tough vines) sounded right, except it said it wasn't supposed to be used around flower (or vegetable) gardens--they recommended the regular version of Round-Up for that instead. There are actually a lot of pretty spring flowers/bulbs among the mess (my wife keeps reminding me), so this is sort of a delicate operation. Sacrifices may need to be made... Thanks Lew. -Bill

That is why I would brush it on. Or - I have several sizes of containers with the bottom cut out. I have modified several gallon bleach jugs. I put one down over the weed/plant I want dead and spray down into the container with a course spray from a trigger spray bottle from Home Depot.
If wanted plants would touch the sprayed one - leave the guard around it until the Roundup has dried. I learned this the hard way. It seems many desirable plants are much more susceptible to Roundup than the weeds we were killing...
Jerry O.
I live in Texas and here the weeds kill stuff. Kill or be killed.
So the variation in strength is by the volume bottle and by the amount diluted in the sprayer. Yes - I have two sprayers. A plastic one for Roundup and a ceramic steel one for other sprays.
There is a city strength and a strong strength industrial grade.
Martin
On 4/14/2015 5:20 PM, Bill wrote:

Martin Eastburn wrote:

Martin, That's a good idea. I'll be mixing my own, from concentrate, so I'll keep "the recipe" in mind! Good idea! In other news, I'm not the proud owner of a spading fork. I started to write forking hoe instead and I sensed that something seemed dirty about it. I'll have to be more careful in conversation...

Bill wrote:

Oops typo: that's "I'm NOW the

I have a long stone driveway and use stronger than normal in the stone and edges to fend off the aggressive weeds. Weeds and grasses tend to dislodge stone.
I drive over it, but the grass takes the pressure and keeps on growing.
I use lighter strengths in and around gardens. I use a cardboard shield when spraying around the stone boarders of the various beds.
Briar is a tough nasty vine that lives deep underground. Roundup is one that will be absorbed by growing structure and take it below into the knobs of material from which it comes. Thorns are hard on it.
Natural Ratan has to be just cut by hand. The spongy bark keeps the spray from inner workings of the vine.
We keep the wild grape but cut it back if it gets to much. We had one shot at growing grapes but the weather was to harsh. Maybe in a year or two if it stays wet.
My fancy sprayer is saved for fruit spraying and oils and such. Something that is used to eat.
Martin
On 4/14/2015 10:27 PM, Bill wrote:

I have found unless you spray the flower on bulbs they do not die.
"Bill" wrote:

------------------------------------------------------- Strictly a toy.
You need the tool my dad had and last used 60+ years ago.
Think of a 4 tine pitch fork with a D handle.
Now think of the tines as being about 3/4"-7/8" wide and 1/8" thick. That's describes that beast from memory.
As a teenager, I grew to hate that tool, but it worked.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Around here they are called spading forks or garden fork. They work very well.
http://www.homedepot.com/b/Outdoors-Garden-Center-Garden-Tools-Gardening-Tools-Garden-Forks/N-5yc1vZc5ri
--
 GW Ross

 I'm the world's foremost authority on
G. Ross wrote:

When you say they work very well, are you saying that it will break up the soil to easily release the roots? The related "4-tine digging fork" appears to be more solid (at admittedly close to twice the price). Surely more leverage too. My knees and back thank you!
G. Ross wrote:

--------------------------------------------- That's the beast. Was in a True Value hd'we this after noon and they had a private label one for $32.99. ------------------------------------------------- "Bill" wrote:

------------------------------------------------------ Lew Hodgett wrote:
It's a total PITA job.
You will have your hands full no matter how you mechanically attack the job.
Your knees and back will really thank you if you use Round-Up.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

I'm leaving to to get this right now. I will probably use Round-Up too. I believe every word you wrote! --Bill
http://www.menards.com/main/outdoors/garden-landscaping-tools/gardening-tools/yardworks-d-handle-spading-fork-with-4-tines/p-1812163-c-13241.htm
G. Ross wrote:

If anyone, like me, has never used this tool before, the guy in this video gives a good demo at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v
fECzuihYE
In reading product reviews, I'm encountering alot of them that are cheaply made. That's criticism of something other than the tool itself!
Bill
On 4/14/2015 4:45 PM, G. Ross wrote:

I have one of those for my...uh...garden. Good for digging up sweet potatoes.
G. Ross wrote:

I'm please to report that I am very pleased with the performance of the spading fork. I think I have just 2 or maybe 3 more sessions to finish the job. Then I'll use some Round-Up (particularly where it is impossible to dig--think "stacked chucks of concrete"). Thank you for your generous assistance! That is my best find since "Durhams' Water Putty"!
If I could go back and time and give my dad a spading fork, he would have loved it--and he would have gotten a great deal of use out of it! Without a little knowledge, you don't know what he or she is missing! It would be great for "worming" too!
I had a hunch the "Hound-Dog Stand Up Garden Tiller" wasn't going to live up to it's sales pitch... I guess, from the other thread, that some people here would call the people who buy one "idiots", but I think that is a little harsh.
Bill
On 4/14/2015 4:25 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

I know what you are talking about but it is not a pitch fork. A pitch fork is the tool that is on the photo of Ma And Paw Kettle. Typically has 3 or more tines and small in diameter, light weight, for "Pitching" hay. https://www.google.com/search?q=maw+and+paw+kettle&rlz 1CHUE_enUS575US575&espv=2&biw36&bihx3&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=TnouVemDLJHqoATo3YCIBg&ved AgQ_AUoAw#imgdii=AsbcBpeLU3QbPM%3A%3BAsbcBpeLU3QbPM%3A%3BO-cBnDb5wJ3NHM%3A&imgrc=AsbcBpeLU3QbPM%253A%3BqZaYWztrPhk1vM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.thedailysheeple.com%252Fwp-content%252Fuploads%252F2014%252F09%252Fglobal-ID-ma-and-pa-kettle.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.thedailysheeple.com%252Fdhs-wants-to-tag-us-before-they-bag-us-the-enhanced-drivers-license_092014%252Fglobal-id-ma-and-pa-kettle%3B200%3B238

Potato fork
Spade-(i)n-fork. About the size of a D handle shovel but has 4 or 5 tines that are flat or diamond shaped. It is used to dig potatoes and other crops - used to turn and break up soil.
Martin