OT grill gloat

Page 1 of 2
The only thing it has to do with woodworking is burning wood to make food taste good, but I have to share this one anyway.
I was at Wally-World looking at garden stuff with SWMBO. I was standing in front of a stack of grills, not looking at them, when the garden department manager called out to me "Hey, I just marked those down to $30!"
I started looking, thinking. Maybe... I have a grill, it has been faithful, and I have put a dozen whole cows through that thing over the years I've owned it. It's ugly, but it has done the job for what must be a decade now.
I was scratching my beard, still pondering on it. The grill in question was nicer than mine, and $30 was a good deal. I was about to grab it, but hadn't yet made a move in that direction, when she came back and said "OK, here, I have to get rid of these things. See that over there? That's the last one, and I can let you have that one for $30 too if you'll just save me from having to find some place to put it.
It was originally $98, marked down to $50, and I got it for $30. It's HUGE. It weighs close to a hundred pounds. It has all kinds of glinkleflutzits and blinfths the likes of which I've never seen on a charcoal grill. It's not quite big enough to roast a whole hog, but it's good for anything short of that.
Damn shame it's supposed to snow tonight. Damn shame. I can't wait to fire this thing up, slap some meat on it, crack open a cold one... Ahhhhhh.
Now all I need is for the corn on the cob to come in. I guess I'll be waiting awhile on that score, unless I cheat and buy some at the store.
Very nice score! Believe me, you can grill in the snow, if you want to. SWMBO will stare at you kinda funny the first time you do it (DAMHIKT), at least until the soup's on. NOthing like a taste of summer, esp. in the wintertime. Bigger risk for you is once she knows you can do grill in bad weather, "let's order pizza" could become "why don't you just fire up the grill tonight, you can use my umbrella."
Enjoy the grill!
Silvan wrote:

SWMBO will stare at you funny? Mine pushes me out the door ... rain, snow, sleet, hail or dark of night, if it can be grilled, she wants it grilled.

What was your address again?
Guess you'll have to take up woodturning so you can make lots of charcol. :-)
Silvan wrote:

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek
Will wrote:

Not a problem. Woodturning isn't good for much other than making interestingly shaped but otherwise useless bits of wood. I got a million of'em. (Not good for *much*, I said. Yeah, there are a few actual practical applications for the technology, but mostly it's just fun making silly string.)

What???? You got a gloat and now you're going to wus out because of a little snow? Real men grill year round. . Now I'm going to have to teach you how to make your own charcoal. All you need is a steel drum with a lid. Some things are done better with charcoal over the wood itself.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

wrote in message

Now I'm going to have to do up some sausages on the grill tonight...
Thanks, guys! Good idea!
Patriarch
Patriarch wrote:

Even if they aren't "Brats", assume you will be marinating in beer, unless of course, it is Italian, then we have other methods.<G>
Lew

They usta be Italian. But they are now a warm memory. :-)
Patriarch wrote:

Next time you grill those puppies, try parboiling them first/
Put sausage and bout 1/4" water in a covered cast iron skillet for about 10 minutes, then finish on grill.
Then of course if you are true to Dago cooking, you have some sauted onions and peppers along with some great hoagie buns to properly adorn that Italian sausage.
BTW, glad you enjoyed it.
Lew

That's how it was done, minus the onions. My wife's father was Italian, from Queens.
His mother took it as a challenge to teach my mother-in-law 'how to cook for Tony.' Some skills get passed on.
Patriarch
Speaking of grills, yesterday I was at the real hardware store, and they had on for sale, a "texas" charcoal grill. That sucker was 4' diameter, and was "only" 999.00. Big, but I'd only need the whole thing a couple times a year.
And I grill year round here in WI. I'm on my 3rd or 4th propane grill in about 10 years or so, and have about 4 20# bottles of propane on standby. :)
John

You're going too cheap on your propane grills if they only are lasting 3 years on average.
My parents got a cheap Charbroil or similiar that lasted 4 or 5 years before it rusted apart. They bought a $400 Ducane with lifetime warranty and they've had it at least 10 years with no problems and no warranty replacements.
Brian Elfert
writes:

I'm on my third tablesaw in 7 years. It's not because I wore them out.
Patriarch
Patriarch wrote:

That's not fair, guys. I can't eat Italian sausages anymore. They taste so good going down, but they tear my stomach all to hell, and they don't taste so good for the next three days. :(
Some certain spice. No idea what it is. Probably the stuff they put in there so you don't taste the asshole. :)

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Just got back from a very nice vacation in Oz and NZ to find about 5 feet of snow. Had to hire a serious skip loader to dig into the driveway. I can't even SEE my barbeque! LOML is right: the weather won't get better until we throw Bush into a volcano.     mahalo, (and ;-) )     jo4hn
<snip>

I thought the protocol specified a virgin?
Glad to hear you enjoyed your trip.
Patriarch
On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 15:38:28 -0700, Silvan wrote

That is the lamest excuse I ever heard!
Get cracking!
(you suck!)
Bruce wrote:

OK, how about "Damn shame I have to leave in a couple hours, and I won't get to use it tonight?" That was the whole story, or I probably would have fired it up already.
I'm going to fire it up tomorrow. The snow will melt off the top. :)
Down side. Now I need to buy a bigger freezer. :)
And Larry, it's a charcoal grill. More fuss, more muss, but three times the taste IMHO.