OT: GPS

Page 1 of 2
SWMBO purchased a GPS for her car last week. We took a trip over the weekend.
I now have two women to argue with about the route when I travel.
Frank
"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message

ROTFL ... Leon's Tundra is equipped thusly. Her name is "Hilda". We used her on recent trip with our wife's to AR to, among other things, scout out and bring back some walnut. I've gotta admit, Hilda has a somewhat dry humor and is an excellent companion/accessory when everyone else is sleeping, but she and I differed often drastically on the best way to get from Texas to Arkansas.
... "recalculating, recalculating, recalcu....."
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

"Drive ninety-seven miles and make a legal u-turn . . . "
Dave in Houston

Turn left on Pissonit.

Heyyyy, I have an idea!! GPS for NASCAR!!
"turn left" "turn left" "turn left" "turn left" "turn left" "turn left" "turn left" "turn left" "turn left" "turn left" "turn left" "turn left"
"Leon" wrote

Ah yes ... good old "Bissonnet"! A hoot, where Hilda puts her accents. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

Speaking of accents, wife managed to fool around and convert the thing to British English and metric and couldn't figure out how to get it back. So all the way home "in 1.7 kilometers shift left, then turn left", by a very formal British female.
I kind of liked her better.
Frank

What brand GPS do you have Frank? I can change the accents also but it does not affect the units of measure.

The advantage I've found is I can call 'someone' a bitch and neither my wife nor GPS knows who I'm taking about. <eg>
--

"Anybody can have more birthdays; but it takes
balls to get old!"
Swingman wrote:

I'm rather fond of turning right when it says turn left and its inevitable plea to "make a legal U turn".....recently on a road trip, while going over a high snow covered two lane Mt. pass it told me to turn right, in fact it insisted and then of course repeatedly told me to make a legal U turn...there was no side road just hills, valleys and 6-10 ft of snow piled on the shoulders. In print on the screen it also identified the 50-100 mile road as a trail.....Your Hilda has inspired a needed name for the gizmo....possibly Wrong way Wanda. Rod
Rod & Betty Jo wrote:

"Frank Boettcher" wrote:

Sit tight, GPS has invaded the farm.
Drive around the field in the P/U, lock in the coordinates, then load data into puter on board tractor.
You now have auto pilot control for the tractor while planting or harvesting the crop.
Lew

Our ranchers (lessees) have had them installed on their workhorse John Deere tractors. I don't know what the payback period will turn out to be but they expect them to pay for themselves in fertilizer and chemical NOT used due to duplicating and/or overlapping. And, it's not as new as you would think. When GPS for ag use first came on the scene a few years back I read that with comprehensive soil testing and GPS mapping a farmer can program his equipment to put varying amounts of [say] fertilizer in different parts of the same field(s).
Dave in Houston
Dave in Houston wrote:

I have an uncle who's been doing that for a number of years in SC. He swears by it.
"Dave in Houston" wrote:

Add to that the average tractor fuel fill up can be $5K with $4+/gal for diesel, and the payback cycle gets even shorter.
Lew

Go figgur. Diesel is the cheap shit.
"Robatoy" wrote:

Only when no one wants it.
Lew

Go figgur. Diesel is the cheap shit.
It's not just the diesel. Most all that fertilizer and all those chemicals are petroleum based. About a month ago, Mr. K., aforementioned lessee, advised as how he'd bought a 1000 gallons of farm diesel (zero taxes) and paid $ 3.72/gal. They sometimes burn a 100 gallons a day for several days running and they're relatively small time. I'm sure it's up another 20 cents or so since.
Dave in Houston
"Dave in Houston" wrote:

During WWII, my dad delivered gasoline to farmers.
Gasoline was strictly rationed.
During planting or harvest, a farmer burned a lot of fuel, the rest of the year not much fuel was needed.
Years later, dad would tell me stories about how he played games with gas stamps to insure his customers got gasoline when they needed it.
Lew

That's a pretty narrow outlook, Lew. In addition to planting there's cultivating, weed spraying, fertilizing. Then there's combining and transportation of the yield to it's market. After which most farming methods I know of call for plowing the remaining stubble under. While those fields are laying fallow [our ranchers anyway] are cutting and then baling hay for cold season cattle feed. On our ranch they plant wheat in December and corn around the first of March. The wheat gets combined in May and the corn in July. In addition to the 380 +/- acres they till on our ranch they have several hundred of their own and a couple of hundred more they lease. Between planting they likely will turn the dirt at least once as a form of weed control and/or to make ready for the next planting. Rest of the year my ass, Lew. Stick to subjects you know something about.
Dave in Houston