OT - Government Inspired Fuel Cans + PIA

Page 2 of 3
On Jan 21, 8:38am, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:
nza.aioe.org:

Put them in the same category of folks who develop the hard plastic product packaging. Doom them to an afterlife of having to use their brainchilds on a continuous basis..........forever!
No scissors or knives for the plastic packagers. No hose or funnels for the gas can geniuses.
On 21 Jan 2010 14:38:26 GMT, the infamous Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> scrawled the following:

They need to have experience putting gas from their device into a HOT mower, seconds after it ran out of gas. <evil grinne>
--
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.

They solve that with a sticker that says to let the mower cool before refuling. If you notice *every* piece of gas-powered equipment has that warning any more.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Tim Douglass wrote: ...

I can't recall when they didn't have that -- certainly the 60s-vintage Deere 112 tractor has it...so I don't think it has anything whatever to do w/ the new cans.
On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 08:51:16 -0500, the infamous Keith Nuttle

That would yield a whole lot better-thought-out tools for us, wouldn't it? <sigh>

My favorite gas can nozzle will shoot liquid gasoline out the air vent about 6' when it's overfilled. And if it's filled when cold, it will leak over a cup's worth as it warms up from the same reason, overfilling. (Who here has never accidentally overfilled a can?) Why weren't the bloody things recalled? They're downright dangerous.
--
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.
(Jerry - OHIO) scrawled the following:

Better everything. What clown designed the Mercury Sable such that the steering wheel and dash had to be pulled just to change the light bulbs for the instruments?

And several versions of 70's Chevrolet that required a hole in the fender well or loosened motor mount to change a couple of spark plugs or heater blower.
For that matter, the new Saturn Sky sports car requires a fender panel removal to replace the stock battery.
We learn, don't we.
RonB

Sheeesh! Can you at least get jumper cables on it?

LDosser wrote:

virtually any necent vehicle has access points for charging/jumping that are _not_ the battery terminals.

As the n is a fair piece from the d and r, which one did you mean? :)
LDosser wrote:

errr, r... :)
Initially wrote "new" and changed it...didn't see the typo (obviously)

Have not seen such an animal, but our newest is a 1998.

Hmmm.... No such thing on either my 2000 or 2004.
But both of them are very easy to get to the battery.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
RonB wrote:

1970 Pontiac LeMans -- same thing for the heater blower. The real kick in the teeth was the fact that the heater blower used a cheap brass bushing instead of needle bearings, so it was going to fail within the car's lifetime.

Rob Leatham

Way back when, circa 1970, an acquaintance had a Fiat that was a maintenance *nightmare*. Used to joke that you had to pull transmission, just to adjust the rear-view mirror.
novalidaddress@di\/ersify.com wrote:

"Jerry - OHIO" wrote

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 09:40:40 -0500, the infamous "Lee Michaels"

Ah, wonderful contextual humor there, Lee. Two points.
--
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.

So that's why they all switched to the Blitz manufactured cans. The ones I've gotten have all had a plastic extension that came with the can, but in most cases it's useless.
A lot of the various fuel fills seem to encourage spilling gas, and some of encourage spilling it on the person filling the tank! The new push lock devices don't help, especially when filling 10 gallon tanks with a 5 gallon can. (Oh, and a word of caution: They don't handle being upside down very well.)
Puckdropper

The thing that caught my attention was the subject line "Government Inspired."
I think it was "inspired" by citizens who were concerned with they reported accidents involving gas and other flammable materials over the years.
Private Industry brought us the Pinto Crematoriums that immolated the occupants in a rear-end crash as the impact froze the doors closed, broke the gas tank and flooded the passenger area with fuel as a consequence of several design failures that Ford decided were cheaper to settle on a case by case basis than to recall the existing cheap Pintos that were so prone to the particular failure and horrific consequences.
While we are on the subject, a small gloat. I had an old Gerry Can with a rusted flex spout and saw the new version at a hardware store in NC - for $50!
I took the company name off the new can and called the company to ask if I could buy "just the spout."
Three days later, I had one on my doorstep - no charge!
It pays to ask.