OT - Government Inspired Fuel Cans + PIA

Page 1 of 3
Remember when fuel cans were simple? Pop the cap off the end, tip it and fuel went into your mower. I recently had to buy a couple of replacements. The ones with the push-lock device, short spout and lever actuated valve (WalMart specials).
What the hell are they good for? The spout is too short to reach most mower or auto gas ports, without attaching a hose. The lever is pretty much inoperable without an attached hose.
Longer spout?
Bitch bitch bitch.
Now I'll go back to building something.

http://www.toolboxtopics.com/Gen%20Industry/Why%20Use%20a%20Safety%20Can%20for%20Gasoline.htm

Yeah, I know. But if they had added 2" to the spout or provided the piece of hose and clamp (that now must be chased down), it would have worked much better.

Gawd you sound like my wife.
-DS

Guessing you don't own one of the PIA devices :^}
RonB wrote:

It's a flame arrester in case you try to pour gasoline on a bonfire. You can thank Dan Rather.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxGDd9RdBaA&feature=player_embedded

It's for the children.
On 1/20/2010 10:33 AM, RonB wrote:

Ran out of gas, in a parking lot after 10pm one night, had to walk three miles in the rain along a busy street with no sidewalk to an open gas station. That's the only type can they had ... three miles back, in the rain, only to have to perform surgery on the can, in the dark, for another 30 minutes, with a multi-tool (thank buddha I keep one in the truck), in the dark, in order to ultimately get about half of the contents into the truck's gas tank, in the dark ... the rest on the ground.
Bastards ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Man, if you think that those suck, try the other version out there (K-Mart and Lowes sell them) They only have a push lock which is basically a spout with a little lip or edge about 1/3 of the way down. The idea is you put the spout into the hole inside of your car's gas filler tube. The lip catches and then you press down. This releases the mechanism that allows the fuel to flow. When you let up a little it springs shut and stops the flow of gasoline. It works pretty poorly in a car, but just try it in a lawn mower (or much worse on a rocking boat) where there is no inside lip in the filler tube to catch the lip on the spout and you can't function them if you attach an extender hose. I MUCH prefer the ones that you describe with at least a lever to actuate the valve.
Dave Hall wrote:

Further, the damn nozzle goes so far into the tank and blocks so much of the filler on the lawn mower or pressure washer or snow blower or whatever that you can't tell how much gas you've put in until it overflows.
One wants to believe that there is a special place in Hell for the sort of government bureaucrats who come up with this crap.
I hacked the end of mine off and baught a tranny funnel .No more pissing around. Jerry
http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/1974RuppCentair
Jerry - OHIO wrote:

Isn't it a federal crime to defeat, tamper, or modify a mandated safety feature?

Nope. It's just illegal to sell it (or give it away), in the modified form
Logic being that you can expose yourself to the risk, but you're not allowed to epxose somebody else to it.
Robert Bonomi wrote:

So.... I can remove the seat belts from my car...?

roadway as it is illegal (most places) to drive without your seatbelt on. However, you could drive that car with the removed seatbelts all over your own back 40.
By the same token, should you remove the spill protection device from your fuel can, you better hope that you don't get caught spilling fuel into the public waterways or onto the ground.... But the removel itself is not a criminal behavior as I understand it.
Dave Hall

Sure, go ahead.

Yes, you can!! And you will -not- get in any trouble with 'the law' for the act of removing them.
*BUT*, as others have pointed out, it is illegal to _operate_ a vehicle "on the public roadways" without that equipment, _if_ it came with said equipment from the factory. Note also: it is -not- a _federal_ crime to so operate such a 'modified' vehicle, merely a violation of your *state* laws regarding operation of a motor vehicle. :)
On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 01:25:28 -0500, the infamous snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Jerry - OHIO) scrawled the following:

What, it wasn't happy just being a male funnel?
</rimshot>
--
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.
On 1/21/2010 8:33 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

that the standards apply for a month before the standards become official.
I wonder who owns the patients for these devices that are being required, or who the person that has the patient owns.
Keith Nuttle wrote:

Gore?

A month isn't long enough. A year would be better. A month can easily pass without the need to put gas in a mower or snow blower.
Puckdropper