OT: google maps

well I just heard on the radio that google maps is now showing historical pics of what areas looked like... you can put in a time period and it will show it in street view.

Now if they can only fix regular maps.

My home is now located in a different town according to them. This happened a few months ago. As I type my address in a directions it always tells me I am in the next town. If I just search on my own address and put in the full town , it still comes up with the other town name. Frustrating, I have reported the problem and nothing has been resolved.

I tried mapping another address and it tells me it doesn't exist. Hmmm. I know it exists, I was just at it. It offers me other addresses around it, but that one does not exist. I did a street view and saw the address as I moved back and forth.

I'm realizing that google has gone off the deep end. When using the search engine, I find them showing me commercial offerings first. I could not get to something I was looking up after going through 20 or so pages. I found it using another search engine. After finding the exact words in the page, I used it in google, and it still erred on the side of commercial offerings. I realize that their engine is geared to the most hits, but many of these hits were not even close.. and that's the problem, they are stretching it even though I have double quoted my search string.

This doesn't always happen, but it happens often enough, that I think google has run it's course for me. I was an early adopterwhen I discovered their simple splash page.. But now, I am often frustrated by it. They think you don't know what you are looking for and want to do it for you.

Are any of you finding yourself in the same mindset?

Reply to
woodchucker

Been bitching about it far longer than you. ;)

The "world wide web" as I knew it, and participated in, in the early nineties is now basically nothing more than an advertising medium.

Reply to
Swingman

Yep, when doing a Google search I keep getting their interpretation of what I want, based on who is paying for the advertising. I have had to enter my search times repeat ably, again and again to get what I want. Often I will put in quote marks to go after a specific phrase. And Google just ignores it.

Which is ironic because often I am going after very specific information. Nothing that Google throws up there has anything to do with what I am going after. But they paid their money so Google buries me in bullshit. rather than do the actual search.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I use this one quite a bit:

For technical stuff, wolfram alpha:

Swingman

In news:W6KdneiYEPeVYMrOnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net, woodchucker belched:

Google is evil. I loved it when it first started, but as you say the results now.....SUCK. I used to love the "search within results" feature, but they no longer use that. I use to be able to find my answer on the first page of results, but now, you're lucky to find it in 4-5 pages What I find most interesting is google maps on your phone, it wants all kind of access to contacts, profiles and such, but if you install Google Earth it just asks for GPS access. I try to avoid everything google as much as possibly can, I no longer trust them. Its all about money and data mining to them now YMMV

Reply to
ChairMan

duckduckgo is the one I used that found what I was looking for.

Once I had found the page I still could not get google to find it. So... we are on the same page.

I was not familiar with the others.

Reply to
woodchucker

While it won't eliminate the problem, I've found that clearing cookies (and Flash cookies) regularly does improve things.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Google Maps is a great example of how a product can get screwed up when the y don't leave well enough alone. The earlier versions were easy to use. T he current version has an embedded search box that obscures a significant p art of the map and I can't figure out how to hide it without losing it retu rning to my home location. Nutz.

Reply to
Gramps' shop

With a few rare exceptions, what happens when you put twenty something n*****ts in charge of anything.

Reply to
Swingman

The start of a new small town government?

Reply to
Leon

I always enjoyed how the top 'hits' would be something humorous, like searching for something like 'viral meningitis' and the top hit being Find viral meningitis on Ebay!

-BR

Brewster