OT: Google Groups Question

Thought I'd ask here since many of you use Google... With this new version, in the topic list it will list how many messages there are and how many are "new"? Anybody know what is considered "new" by google? It doesn't look like it's tracking what I've read, as I can read all the messages in a topic and it will still say the same for the # of new messages.
From the Google Groups Help system.
---------- I read a post but it's still labelled 'New.' Why?
The 'New' tag identifies posts that appeared since you last logged in. The 'New' tag will disappear when you begin a new session, so the next time you visit, you should see a different set of new posts. If you stay logged in, the tags will be refreshed several times each day. ----------