OT: Google failed me

It is raining here and I had no inside project so have been killing time Googling things.

One of them was a great restaurant in Santa Barbara at the El Encanto Hotel in the early 70s. I was in SB taking photo classes for a couple of weeks at Brooks Institute which was just across the street from the (then) somewhat worse for wear hotel; however, the house restaurant - Cafe Madrid - was wonderful...a very extensive menu, not cheap but not really expensive either and wonderful food; at least I thought so but I was just about the only customer. Does anyone remember it and/or know what happened to it?

As long as I'm on memory lane, here are some other places I miss...

Cafe Bohemia, Chicago. Great roast duck

London Chop House, Detroit. Best calves liver I've ever had.

Jack's, San Francisco. Good everything and waiters that really knew their business.

Musso & Franks, Hollywood (may still be there). Chain restaurants, eat your hearts out!

Ciro's, Honolulu. Always had vichyssoise, always served complimentary antipasto

Reply to
dadiOH

dadiOH wrote the following:

Sorry DadiOH, none of the foods you mentioned has any interest for me. No Duck, no Liver, no cold soup.

Reply to
willshak

I can go for steak. The only fish I eat is tuna (in the can) and flounder. None of those giant insects that live on the bottom of the ocean either (crab, lobster, shrimp).

Reply to
willshak

---------------------------- " ...tuna (in the can)" = cat food.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

They have/had steak too. Probably fish too :)

Reply to
dadiOH

I'd rather have catfood...

Reply to
Robatoy

Tuna..as in sushi...wellllll then..

Reply to
Robatoy

the Mac".

I thought maybe Thing from the Adam's Family would show up.

-C-

Reply to
Country

Ah... a small tin of red salmon, when I feel a little undernourished.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

According to my Google search - the El Encanto in SB is closed for renovations. No mention of a Cafe Madrid. Perhaps it closed soon after you stayed there.

MJ

Reply to
MJ

I prefer bonito ("chunk light tuna", less mercury) to albacore and red salmon to bonito.

But I'd -much- rather eat fresh Steelhead or Yellowtail.

-- If the only prayer you ever say in your whole life is "thank you," that would suffice. -- Meister Eckhart

Reply to
Larry Jaques

No, but I spent six months working in Goleta and the Santa Barbara area has to have more good restaurants per capita than anywhere else in the US.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

BTW, what's Musso? Anything like Beans?

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

-------------------------- At the refinery?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Nit-picking. that's "Addams" with two "d"s. From Charles Addams, who drew the original cartoons -- printed in the New Yorker, among other places.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Sonatech.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

I can see I don't hang out with a bunch of gourmets :)

Reply to
dadiOH

A guy. Ditto Frank.

Reply to