OT: Going OT - Blame in on the Canadians

Page 1 of 3
Sorry for going OT. I have been locked away down in my basement shop these past days and I couldn't resist.
It seems that the USDA is indicating that infected cow came from Canada. This past August, the US was blaming Canada for the massive Power Outage, and 2 years ago after 9/11 the US was blaming Canada for allowing terrorist to slip in to the US. Is this a new trend for the Land of Political Correctness? Blame it on the Canadians? What else shall we blame them for?
I guess I can blame Canada for my OT posting. ;)
Happy New Year Rich
RKON notes:

Political correctness?
Charlie Self
Yeah. Next they'll be saying Canadians crucified Christ instead of the Porto Ricans.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (John) wrote in message

The Canadians crucified Puerto Ricans??!!! Those cads!
But, just to make sure things are clear:

Yet to be proven. There is a discrepancy in the age of the cow, which indicates that the cow may not have come from Canada. They are conducting DNA testing now.
Also, there are indications that the one infected cow that was found in Canada earlier this year, came from Montana.

Later to be found that it actually started in a power plant in Ohio.

Later found to be false. But even if they did enter the US through Canada, those border crossings are guarded by American customs agents.

Seems to be, but that's alright. We've been blaming you Yanks for everything for years ;)
...Mike (Born to be Canadian!)
The flu outbreak will probably be blamed on Canadians and anything that hasn't happened yet.
DM

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 10:57:54 -0800, Daniel Martin wrote:

Not to worry - Howard Dean says Mad Cow is Bush's fault. I'm sure he feels the same about the flu and all those unhappened events. Canada is off the hook :-)
-Doug
On 30 Dec 2003 10:57:54 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Daniel Martin) wrote:

the flu is definitely canada's fault.

Hey, I still haven't forgiven them for shooting down Buddy Holly's airplane.
Dick Durbin
One thing's for sure. It wouldn't be so cold here in winter in the northern US if Canada wasn't so close. They send all that damn cold air down here.

Remove the 'remove' in my address to e:mail me.
Lessee. There's oil in Canada. If we can prestigitate some WMDs, we could invade. Hmmmm.     mahalo,     jo4hn
RKON wrote: [snip] Blame it on the Canadians? What else shall we blame them for?

Look, We WANT you to invade us. So we can be refugees and be able to move down to the warmer parts. ;-)

On 30 Dec 2003 14:50:07 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca (Bri) wrote:

Please come and invade (or whatever term you like) and when you don't find them please feel free to leave billions of dollars in aid. I know you won't find the WMD because you don't know what you are looking for. In our case the WMD are our politicians. Gave everyone who pays taxes a cheque for $155 just weeks before the last election. Now have to cut many government programs, especially health care and education. Their next "trick" it to decrease taxes by 10% on Jan 1 2004. Yes we can really afford this as well. Politician want a 39% (YES 39%) wage hike after the next election. So PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE come and get our WMD. Thank you in advance, Ken in NS

Spot on, Ken. Ideologies are the real WMD. Greed, Envy and hatred have destroyed more than any weapons.
Unfortunately, politicians prey on the greed, envy and hatred of their constituents.
We have met the enemy, and he is us. - Walt Kelley
(Bri) wrote: In our case the WMD are our politicians. Gave everyone who pays

snipped-for-privacy@usenet.ca wrote: [snip]>

Awraaaiight! Seems like we have an invite. How do we finance this invasion? Hmmm. Seems like we gotta borrow the money. OK all you Canuckistanis, buy US War Bonds!     mahalo,     patton
Oh and the word should be something like prestidigitate.
says...

In general, tax cuts tend to stimulate economies, especially those that have been beset by high taxes. Might actually be a good move. Also takes away from the government the ability to "redistribute" the fruits of others' labor. Sounds like a good plan.

OTOH, overpaying politicians is a bad idea

However, you can't cut taxes if you have a government in debt; you can only defer taxes. The current fad of tax deferrals is basically stealing from our kids. It will come back to haunt us.
Mike
On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 08:05:14 +0000, Michael Daly wrote:

Not to mention all those trust funds in lock boxes and those nasty savings bonds. Those will all be paid off with government "profits", and you know how the government makes a profit.
-Doug
In article <_wQIb.195391$2We1.143828
says...

You make the assumption that this is a zero-sum game. i.e. if you stop taking a dollar in taxes from someone, that dollar disappears from the treasury never to be seen again. The truth is, that by cutting taxes, you wind up stimulating the economy (again, assuming an over-taxed economy -- and Canada certainly falls into that category), such that more revenue starts getting generated in the economy and the government tax revenues actually rise. There is sufficient evidence to support this assertion; it worked in the early '60s when the Kennedy tax cuts cut the confiscatory tax rates imposed during the Roosevelt administration, it worked with the Reagan tax cuts, in which tax revenue grew significantly following the tax cuts as the economy grew.

Not at all.

Tax revenue rises, but so does the debt. The net is negative. If the increased revenue covered government expenses _and_ reduced the debt, there might be something to it, but as it stands, it's all a right-wing fiction to take money out of future generations and put it in the pockets of current taxpayers - predominantly the rich and upper middle class.
It's like getting a massive mortgage, borrowing to make all your purchases and then quitting your job to take a lower paying one with a shorter working week. Everything looks fine as long as you make your interest payments. When you die, someone inherits your debts. No sensible, moral person would live like that, but all western governments do.
Mike