OT: Global warming deniers debunked

Got to be bad getting a Fault named for you!

βœ–
On 9/5/2011 9:46 PM, HeyBub wrote:

Very good Bub. You left out a poignant quote.
"Scientists have found other indications of global cooling. For one thing there has been a noticeable expansion of the great belt of dry, high-altitude polar winds — the so-called circumpolar vortex—"
Perhaps Higgs can run this stuff through his grammar checker and see if it should have any effect on his mental illness...
--
Jack
Liberalism is a Mental Disorder
On 9/5/2011 10:31 AM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Eventually the transition will be back to Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall, repeat. :~)
Add pictures here
βœ–

That's the beauty of "Climate change". It covers 'em all. No matter what happens, raise taxes! Problem solved.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 9/5/2011 7:53 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

That is right, I not be satisfied until we stop trying to fix the minute problems that have little to no return. Samples of what went on thousands of years ago will never show a true picture and deductions from those samples will always only be speculative.

The difference here is that we actually know that smoking contributes to lung cancer cancer. Absolutely nothing has been proven by data from samples of prehistoric ice concerning climate change being caused by man.. Again it is all speculative.

Add pictures here
βœ–
On 9/5/2011 9:12 AM, Leon wrote:

Actually, that's pretty easy to prove beyond argument!
"Man" was either not yet in existence or, if he was, was he capable of burning fossil fuel to the extent necessary to cause the supposed AGW.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 9/3/2011 8:00 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

Every time you fart you effect the climate, just as a butterfly flapping it's wings...
What are you going to do about your farting?
--
Jack
Got Change: Inconvenient Truth =====> Convenient Lies!

Do you consider Science to be respectable? http://goo.gl/N2j1Q
http://goo.gl/o3cLt Icecap.us http://goo.gl/RPxcR CO2 Science http://goo.gl/FEM04 Heartlander http://goo.gl/ouglz Globalwarmingclassroom.info
-- The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 9/2/2011 7:29 PM, Han wrote: Snip

35 or so years we were headed for another ice age, now it is global warming... All this data that points to warming was pointing towards cooling off. It is a natural occurrence, not man made.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 9/2/2011 5:42 PM, Swingman wrote:

All I know is that them more we try to clean up the environment the more problems pop up. Hey they bought "this, lets see if we can sell this!
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Fri, 02 Sep 2011 17:42:00 -0500, Swingman wrote:

You're asking for a rational explanation of human behavior? Lotsa' luck Jack!
It's what happens with any issue that will cost somebody money.
A. Science comes out with some prediction that we need to do something about a problem.
B. A group determines the solution will cost them money and starts a propaganda campaign to prevent that.
C. Some political group believes the propaganda (or is paid to believe it) and start writing letters to the editor and fulminating on talk shows and in Congress (or the local equivalent).
D. Their political opponents immediately take the opposite position.
Usually, nobody on either side has taken time to determine if the original prediction was true or false or somewhere in between.

βœ–
Luigi Zanasi wrote:

This is where the AGW proponents go off the rails. It is of only academic interest exactly WHAT is causing the warming, there is NOTHING that can reasonably be done to mitigate it. Proposals to limit greenhouse gasses, use renewable resources, and the like will have a miniscule effect on GW while reducing civilization to a hunter-gatherer society. Or at least cause our Netflix subscriptions to increase again.
Brain power could be put to better use by suggesting ways to deal with the (possible) effects of global warming (pre-fab dikes around coastal cities, heat-resistant crops, more efficient air conditioning, etc.).
Unless, of course, the same people who promote the notion of AGW are also Luddites. For example, has ANY AGW proponent calculated how many trees need to be planted to act as sufficient carbon sinks, thereby offsetting the industrial age? How many, you say? None?
Well, there you are.
Add pictures here
βœ–
[snipectomy]

Excellent point.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Actually, the calculations have been done. There were some surprises. IIRC, the tropics were not as good a sink as had been assumed.
--
Best regards
Han

[...]
Boys, it isn't that complicated. The forces that want to cast doubt on the scientifically proven phenomenon of global warming are operating strictly on pragmatic (to them) financial motivation. People's health and lives, even those of their own family, don't count.
If the US govt and peoples of the world really try to stop global warming before the tipping point,** the Big Corporate Polluters and their behind-the-scenes financiers (like the Marshall Institute which I repeatedly cite) fear that they may suffer economic damage, and that their shareholders may desert them. So they make sophisticated and so far successful efforts to confuse the public, even smart people.
So our choice is pathetically simple: Do something now, or it will be too late.
If we do something, we may save ourselves.
If we keep listening to sophisticated, money-motivated propaganda, we may wake up from our dream too late.
A command economy like China, e.g. can act -- though they have ****ed up their environment perhaps beyond redemption.
But a democracy (really, now, a plutocracy), has a much harder row to hoe, given the overweening power of Big Money to confuse the voters. (and the lame executive supposed to be in charge!!!)
*** Some climate scientists warn that we may be past the tipping point.
I just don't see it's that complicated. We the people do have the power to influence events. Depends whether we can stop kidding ourselves.
HB
Add pictures here
βœ–

As if there are not also powerful forces making loads of money off of alleged solutions to global warming. Everyone from Al Gore to the industries getting subsidized to produce energy solutions that don't emit CO2, to companies supposedly planting trees in some forest in some third world country. You want us to believe that replacing all the world's coal power plants, all the world's cars, heat generation eqpt, etc doesn't equal big $$$$?

Let's look at some other govt efforts where just like with global warming, govt claims to have science on their side. In 1978 George McGovern's Senate committee put out a report saying that the science was irrefutable. Saturated fat was bad and killing us all. We were to start replacing regular fat with transfat, which was safe and good for you. Within a few years the govt had dietary guidelines that said stop eating meat, replace butter with margarine made with transfat. They created a food pyramid that relied heavily on carbs. We were supposed to eat bread and pasta.
On;y thing wrong with that was that it was, well wrong. Now we realize transfats are one of the worst things you could eat. A diet high in carbs' and loaded with transfats has created an epidemic in obesity, heart disease, and diabetes. Now, govt is in turn banning transfats and warning about carbs. And so it goes.

Simple question. Since the world is in direct and immediate danger, are you in favor of immediately building as many new nuclear power plants as possible? Yes or no.

They are acting. They are reaping the rewards of all the world's business that is coming their way to get around the stiff environmental regulations in other countries.

See the above question.

It is that complicated as HeyBub has pointed out. The cost of going full out on eliminating CO2 emissions is enormous. It will cost trillions of dollars and trillions of lives. Lives, you ask? How so? The engine that has lifted man out of poverty is economic growth. Every time you reduce economic growth by putting more burdens on it makes it that much tougher everywhere around the world. Just ask the additional people who are starving in Africa right now because the cost of grain has been tripled worldwide by the govt diversion of grain for green energy.
In other worrds, if you're going to go all out on this because we're all going to die from global warming you better be right. And given govts track record, some of us are just a bit skeptical.
Add pictures here
βœ–

At the time there were certainly dissenting voices. Maybe the margarine industry was behind it <grin>. However, it is undoubtedly true that saturated fats are bad for you. I'd rather look at the transfat as a result of the laws of unintended consequences.
--
Best regards
Han

Yes. With sufficient regulation and better safety features than the 1950's plants.
--
Best regards
Han

And they will be proven wrong on many levels. The huge dams already caused earthquakes. They'll silt up, etc, etc.
I think the only thing that saves China is their population control.
--
Best regards
Han

causation are you?