OT: Global warming deniers debunked

Page 5 of 13
On 9/4/2011 8:06 AM, Han wrote:

Plain and simple, CO2 has always been around, will always be around and just because we have determined and or improved ways to find and measure that which has always existed does not mean that there is more of it around. A similar example, hurricanes. We now very often almost reach the end of the alphabet naming the storms, 50 years ago you seldom heard named storms getting much past the first few letters of the alphabet. Does that mean that there are more storms, hell no! It means that we now have weather satellites that find storms that we never would have seen before. Plus it used to be that a storm was not named until it became an actual hurricane. Now if a rain storm has winds similar to what you would find along the coast on a windy day it gets named. You gotta justify all that invested money, finding more which we never saw before and lowering the qualification for naming a storm makes the technology and equipment easier to swallow. Does it save property and or more lives, NO. I probably caused more deaths from panic.

Unfortunately it's not that simple. It's clearly not an issue of suddenly discovering a way to measure CO2 in the atmosphere. For example, there are layers of ice hundreds of feet thick, built up over hundreds of thousands of year in the arctic. Those ice layers contain trapped air bubbles. By drilling out ice cores, taking them to a lab and measuring the air components, we know how the CO2 concentration has varied over that time period.

This would suggest that is incorrect too:
http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/hurrarchive.asp
From 2000 through 2009 there were 74 hurricanes. From 1950 through 1959 there were 69 hurricanes
I agree that if you go back far enough, that less would be noticed or catgorized, but you have to go back a lot longer than 50 years.

Not true either. AFAIK, no ordinary rain storm gets named. It must be a tropical storm, ie have a large low pressure center and sustained winds of at least 39MPH.

I guess you'd prefer the days of old, when no one knew a hurricane or tropical storm was about to hit until it was too late to do anything.
On 9/4/2011 10:58 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote: Snip

Unfortunately it is not that simple, taking a core sample from a selected spot does not reflect the situation in the trillions of other places. I shows what happen at the spot. It would be silly to assume that those samples would reflect how the whole world was then.

Your counts above pretty much qualify my statement, there are no more storms today than there were 50-60 years ago. More storms are named today than there used to be.

Tongue in cheek but most named storms are never a threat to anyone. Today storms are being named faster than most people can keep up.

No, I prefer the old days when you had a warning about a serious threat, not to be constantly bombarded with scarey scenarios this year because the predictions for named storms is going to be exceptionally high and no storm actually hits the main land. There were more death from the evacuation from Rita in 2005 than from the storm itself. I distinctly recall Dr Neil Frank/ the weather forcaster at one of the Houston TV stations in so many words indicating that Rita was going to be a Cat 5 storm and would directly hit Houston and the results were going to be devastating. The storm missed, but the results of the evacuation from the panic was devastating.
Dr. Neil Frank shortly there after left the station after many years. Sensationalism along with quotas that needed to be filled were totally responsible for the tragedy that occurred.

Using Florida for example, almost every year I hear about mass evacuations. And, that leads me to ask. How necessary are these evacuations? (in your opinion) Or, is it just the close monitoring of every step of these storms that inflames hysteria? ~ Details that just were not available thirty years ago.
Perhaps in other years, damage and deaths were not so broadcast? Maybe all the rest of us who were not experiencing those storms just assumed nothing was happening?
And finally I have to wonder, what kind of existence is it when one has to board up their home and flee to safety almost every year? (At least that's how it sounds to me) If this scenario is real, then why do so many people live there and move there every year? What kind of life is that?
Makes me feel a little sheltered in my Toronto, Canada abode where in all of the forty five plus years I've lived here, there has not been one natural disaster, at least none that I'd classify as so. The closest we get to natural disasters is when the garbage union or the Toronto Transit Commission goes on strike. Perhaps, the one year the mayor called the army out to shovel snow qualifies as a disaster. :)
On 9/4/2011 12:21 PM, Dave wrote:

I think it is the sensationalism by one station trying to "out do" the next with a lot of BS. I believe we are gathering more information about a normal yearly occurrence that has been going on for thousands of years and the unqualified are summing up that information in a way that hopefully will win them a journalistic prize. Add in the scientists/experts that need to prove something in order to keep the money coming in to fund their research.
I believe this is happening in all aspects of weather and climate research.
Evacuation is important if you live in a low lying area where tidal surge is a threat. Running from the wind is like running from the flu virus.

As far back as I can remember, early 60's I do recall reports from damage and deaths but not so much from the storms that were missed/ never seen, and or were never going to be a threat. Today storms are named and tracked long before we know which continent they might impact. Do we really need to know about "every" disturbance coming off the African continent that might turn into a hurricane and might have some impact on us 21 days out? I say fill us in 7 days out.

There again the media and the weather experts are responsible for the hysteria. Most people that live in the hurricane areas that have been through these storms do not board up and do not leave.

Every area has its issues ;~)

No data would ever satisfy your criteria. Not even if we had the earth fully instrumented over 1 mil years in those trillions of locations. You'd still come up with, "But....."
It's not as if those core ice samples are the only data. We do have fossil and other evidence from countless places on the planet. They show several cycles of warming and cooling occuring around the whole planet in complete conformity with the ice core samples which show the arctic warming/cooling and the accompanying CO2 concentrations.
Almost everyone, even most of the man-made global warming skeptics agree that these cycles of CO2 have occured and are related to global warming. It would be pretty far-fetched for the CO2 concentration at the arctic to be ocurring in perfect synch with global warming cycles over 600,000 years and for it to be some isolated local phenomenom.
If your not willing to accept that association, you might as well deny that smoking is linked to lung cancer.

In article <44281c07-9fa5-4a74-b047-6a61f9c89ad6

Related to temperature cycles.
Current "global warming" seems to be related to the "rising" portion of the long term temperature cycle. We're living near the point where it transitions from "rising" to "falling".

<snip>

Notice that we've also transitioned from "Global Warming" to "Global Climate Change".

Not exactly. It's just "climate change". Results from studies by the anti global warming think thanks such as the Marshall Institute showed "climate change"" to be less threatening to the sheeple than the original term which had been the scientific term for 30-40 years. The sheep media then obediently picked up the new term, and the sheeple followed.
HB
HB

No, the anti-industrialists (anti-Western Civ) have simply hedged their bets. No matter what happens, "see!".
Higgs Boson wrote:

Sounds like Newspeak. The mantra thirty or forty years ago was "Global Cooling." "Another ice age is imminent! We're all gonna die!" and so forth.

But was that "mantra" you are citing a popular ""sky is falling"" thing, or was it solid science, backed by 99-44/100 of serious scientists, like global warming? Let's not mislead by comparing apples & oranges.
HB
Higgs Boson wrote:

Science
Time Magazine - Monday, June 24, 1974 [within your 30-40 year time frame]
"...when meteorologists take an average of temperatures around the globe they find that the atmosphere has been growing gradually cooler for the past three decades. The trend shows no indication of reversing.
"...the weather aberrations they are studying may be the harbinger of another ice age.
"Since the 1940s the mean global temperature has dropped about 2.7 F. Although that figure is at best an estimate, it is supported by other convincing data. When Climatologist George J. Kukla of Columbia University's Lamont-Doherty Geological Observatory and his wife Helena analyzed satellite weather data for the Northern Hemisphere, they found that the area of the ice and snow cover had suddenly increased by 12% in 1971 and the increase has persisted ever since. Areas of Baffin Island in the Canadian Arctic, for example, were once totally free of any snow in summer; now they are covered year round."
And more...
Read more: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,944914,00.html#ixzz1X8HOSAu7

Blame Jesus then ...
On 9/6/2011 2:40 AM, Bob Martin wrote:

There is no blame, It is his to do as he wishes.
On 9/6/2011 2:40 AM, Bob Martin wrote:

Bullshit! It's Bush's fault!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 9/6/2011 10:08 AM, Swingman wrote:

Doesn't anyone believe in Titan or Apollo?
Bush may have been a liberal, but he was no sun god!
--
Jack
On 9/6/2011 9:08 AM, Swingman wrote:

ROTFLMAO
On 9/6/2011 7:08 AM, Swingman wrote:

It has been determined that is what caused the recent east coast earthquake.