OT gfi outlet

How high should I install a GIFT outlet on a outside wall? It'll be all water tight, 99.9% it wouldn't get wet at all. I haven't found anything in the NEC books or on the net yet. Did I miss something?

TIA

Reply to
noreaster

alan

"noreaster" wrote in news:ROqdneAh6cRr1ELbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

Most the outdoor outlets I've seen have been between 1 - 2 feet high. If you put it too high, you'll just waste extension cord. Too low, and you'll hit it when mowing or weed wacking. I think I'd go for 2 feet, myself.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Thanx, that's what I'll do place it at 2 feet high.

Reply to
noreaster

I'd also want it to be high enough that the kid mowing the lawn won't bang the mower into it.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Then make sure you don't plant shrubs that grow THREE foot high in front of it....

Reply to
George

quoted text -

Just a word of caution...

I have a GFCI mounted horizontally in one of the exterior boxes so that the cover opens from the bottom. It's about 12" up from my deck. When I open the cover, I can't see the outlets, so it's either fumble around until I get the plug in or get down on my knees to see what I'm doing. Getting down is still pretty easy...it's getting back up that takes a little longer these days. ;-)

Just make sure that however/wherever you mount it, it's convenient to use.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

"George" wrote in news:uLSDi.38351$ snipped-for-privacy@newsreading01.news.tds.net:

Hey! That's a great idea if you like Christmas lights. :-)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Kind of hard to mow concrete on the porch, unless that's possible now. :-)

Reply to
noreaster

I used to have the outlet much higher for that but not easy reach for "normal" usage when needed.

Reply to
noreaster

Its high enough so I wont have to get on my knees. It'll be horizontally, since I know how all my outlets are installed, it wont be a problem plugging in. I figured since I'm doing away with one door with narrow windows on either side with two doublehung windows I should have an outlet out front.

Reply to
noreaster

Did you look at the instructions that came with it? Wire it in just like any other outlet, just make sure to wire the feed to the Line, and the load to the Load.

There is a ton of stuff on the net showing how to do it. Google is your friend.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Oops - I'm sorry - I mis-read this post.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Thats ok, it happens. I can do indoor wiring no problem. I redid the whole house, it had ceramic posts and tubes. I got lucky over the front half above the 2nd floor, there was enough room for me to crawl around above the ceiling but below the roof and got most of it done that way.

Reply to
noreaster

"noreaster" wrote in news:RMSdnapTmoMJFX3bnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

You obviously haven't seen our driveway! It's mainly asphalt, but there's grass growing in it.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

So, does that you mean you have grasphalt?????

Reply to
noreaster

"noreaster" wrote in news:Na- dnUAknJ8WZn_bnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

Only in a few places. ;-) Gotta go to the other side of the driveway to mow anyway, might as well get a few extra cutting feet out of the blades, right?

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper