OT gfi outlet

How high should I install a GIFT outlet on a outside wall? It'll be all water tight, 99.9% it wouldn't get wet at all. I haven't found anything in the NEC books or on the net yet. Did I miss something?
TIA
no rule. Just keep from getting submerged.
On Wed, 5 Sep 2007 20:32:24 -0400, "noreaster" <noreaster1athotmaildotcom> wrote:

"noreaster" <noreaster1athotmaildotcom> wrote in

Most the outdoor outlets I've seen have been between 1 - 2 feet high. If you put it too high, you'll just waste extension cord. Too low, and you'll hit it when mowing or weed wacking. I think I'd go for 2 feet, myself.
Puckdropper

Thanx, that's what I'll do place it at 2 feet high.

noreaster wrote:

I'd also want it to be high enough that the kid mowing the lawn won't bang the mower into it.

--John
Kind of hard to mow concrete on the porch, unless that's possible now. :-)

"noreaster" <noreaster1athotmaildotcom> wrote in

You obviously haven't seen our driveway! It's mainly asphalt, but there's grass growing in it.
Puckdropper

So, does that you mean you have grasphalt?????

"noreaster" <noreaster1athotmaildotcom> wrote in

Only in a few places. ;-) Gotta go to the other side of the driveway to mow anyway, might as well get a few extra cutting feet out of the blades, right?
Puckdropper

"noreaster" <noreaster1athotmaildotcom> wrote in message

Then make sure you don't plant shrubs that grow THREE foot high in front of it....

Hey! That's a great idea if you like Christmas lights. :-)
Puckdropper

I used to have the outlet much higher for that but not easy reach for "normal" usage when needed.

On 6 Sep, 05:38, "noreaster" <noreaster1athotmaildotcom> wrote:

Just a word of caution...
I have a GFCI mounted horizontally in one of the exterior boxes so that the cover opens from the bottom. It's about 12" up from my deck. When I open the cover, I can't see the outlets, so it's either fumble around until I get the plug in or get down on my knees to see what I'm doing. Getting down is still pretty easy...it's getting back up that takes a little longer these days. ;-)
Just make sure that however/wherever you mount it, it's convenient to use.
Its high enough so I wont have to get on my knees. It'll be horizontally, since I know how all my outlets are installed, it wont be a problem plugging in. I figured since I'm doing away with one door with narrow windows on either side with two doublehung windows I should have an outlet out front.

"noreaster" <noreaster1athotmaildotcom> wrote in message

Did you look at the instructions that came with it? Wire it in just like any other outlet, just make sure to wire the feed to the Line, and the load to the Load.
There is a ton of stuff on the net showing how to do it. Google is your friend.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
"noreaster" <noreaster1athotmaildotcom> wrote in message

Oops - I'm sorry - I mis-read this post.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Thats ok, it happens. I can do indoor wiring no problem. I redid the whole house, it had ceramic posts and tubes. I got lucky over the front half above the 2nd floor, there was enough room for me to crawl around above the ceiling but below the roof and got most of it done that way.