OT: German police fired 85 bullets in 2011

Polizisten schießen seltener im Dienst

Die Nutzung von Schusswaffen im Dienst ist bei der Polizei in Deutschland leicht zurückgegangen: Im vergangenen Jahr schossen Beamte 36-mal auf Personen. Sechs Menschen starben, 15 wurden verletzt.

Officers shoot fewr times on duty

The use of firearms on duty by police in Germany was a bit reduced: In the last year Officers shot 36 times on people. Six people died, 15 were injured.

Germany has a bit over 80 million people. Seems to me that either the police in Germany has little to do with violent crime, or they stay in their preceinct offices and don't venture out.

Reply to
Han

That's nothing ! The cops here in Portland can shoot that many at one suspect . ( of course only about a half dozen will actually hit him )

Reply to
Clay

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:24120$4fb2b0f1$4b75eb81$ snipped-for-privacy@ALLTEL.NET:

Do I really have to spell it out? Somehow it at least /seems/ that German society is a lot safer than many US places (these days). Question is what makes it so??

Of course, one shouldn't generalize etc, etc.

Reply to
Han

docility of the general populous?

Reply to
chaniarts

Germany probably has a smaller mix of questionable people.

Ship our trouble makers over there and see how they deal with the problem.

Reply to
Leon

Can we start with the leftover katrina victims still in tejas?

Reply to
ChairMan

No kidding! If they do well with that installment we can move on to to other undesirables. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Digging into the crevices of my mind to pull things out from my past.... Leaving out all the academic lingo.... cross-national non-war violence rates are mostly tied to the median age of the population and the proportion of males to females.... police shootings are tied to violence levels so police shootings are also tied to median age and gender ratio.

A real simple comparison of U.S. vs Germany rates for example:

Gender ratio (males/females) Median Age Total Ages 15-64 US 44.30 .97 1.00 Germany 36.80 .97 1.04

Which suggests that median age is the primary influence here... older people do less violence. Thanks go to my former associate Glenn Deane,

for his study on cross-national homicide statistics.

generally, non-war violence/homicide has little to nothing to do with gun availability as weapons substitution comes into play. Whether it's knives, bats, weapons of opportunity, or feet, things other than guns can kill depending upon how the force is applied. Having more handguns in circulation compared to rifles and shotguns, and better medical care helps the homicide rates too... less lethal wounds coupled with better care.

Getting back on topic... I'll take a gun stock made of a nicely figured piece of hand rubbed oiled walnut over a "black gun" any day! ;~)

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

IIRC, there are special semi-military police forces to deal with violent situations. But I'm not sure about that.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Here's a first-hand report from Houston.

  1. After Katrina, the number of violent criminals increased dramatically.
  2. Fortunately, they killed each other off with great alacrity as they tried to sort out gang boundaries.
  3. Those that didn't get killed, came face to face with Texas justice. I had more than one Houston cop tell me a common refrain was "Whatcha mean I can't be moseyin' thru my 'hood with a malt and a toke? I could back home!" Those with that attitude are now in the Grey Bar Hotel.

It's not all bad. Katrina broke the legacy of dependency. Imagine those Katria displaced persons who were relocated to, oh, Billings, Montana or Salt Lake City. A common refrain seemed to be: "Youz mean all I gots to do all day is stand behind dis counter and make Slurpies? And I gets PAID for it? Damn, that be cool!"

Reply to
HeyBub

docility of the general populous? ====================================================== Yep.

Reply to
CW

On Tue, 15 May 2012 15:55:31 -0500, Leon

Which begs the question. What is there about US society that produces this excess of trouble makers?

Reply to
Dave

Liberals that want to blame the parents instead of the child. Lack of appropriate punishment for the crime. Kids being taught that every one is equal and entitled to the same things even if they don't work. Government breeding poverty by welfare programs that do not require certain people to work.

Reply to
Leon

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

This "liberal" would hope that some time soon every child may get the same opportunities to excel, and that there will be parents, teachers, friends and acquaintances who all will encourage each child to fully exploit his/her potential. Then all can be rewarded as to their efforts, be they plumber, carpenter, professor or president.

There is enough blame to go around in the current system of dumping children onto the "system". Parents, teachers, politicians especially can be assigned blame as you see fit ...

Reply to
Han

Wretched excess ...

Reply to
Swingman

"Le>

------------------------------------- Talk about total bull shit.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

.

I have go to say while it does not seem that every child in the US has an equal opportunity, a majority of them have a better opportunity than say 80% of the rest of the kids in the world.

So I say give the kids "equal opportunity" but no special privileges for a particular race.

Reply to
Leon

How is that Kool-Aid tasting Lew?

Reply to
Leon

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

That may be true when comparing US kids to zimbabwean kids. Unfortunately, the baseline from which US kids in a poor ghetto-like neighborhood/city start out is different compared to what kids from rich suburban towns experience (or can experience - there is a lot of neglect of varying sorts there too). Our US school systems do fall down on the job unless kids and/or parents and/or teachers exert special efforts, and too few anywhere care.

Reply to
Han

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Liberals (do/should) not blame the parents, at least not always. Bringing up kids is not an easy task, for anyone. My better half did most of the work, but I believe we have instilled work and other ethics in our kids and grandkids. Everyone does start out equal, but due to their own limitations or circumstances within or beyond their control, they do not end up equal. While your perception of "welfare" may be colored by your experiences, education and welfare and p[overty are separate things. They do affect each other, of course.

Reply to
Han