OT: German police fired 85 bullets in 2011

Page 1 of 2
Der Spiegel (The Mirror) is a fairly influential German newspaper, and it reported here the number of cartridges fired by German police in 2011: http://www.spiegel.de/panorama/justiz/polizei-schoss-2011-seltener-im - dienst-a-832037.html http://preview.tinyurl.com/7kf3vpy The original url translates to (among others) "police shot 2011 fewer times on duty". The summary said: <quote> Polizisten schieen seltener im Dienst
Die Nutzung von Schusswaffen im Dienst ist bei der Polizei in Deutschland leicht zurckgegangen: Im vergangenen Jahr schossen Beamte 36-mal auf Personen. Sechs Menschen starben, 15 wurden verletzt. </quote><translation of sorts> Officers shoot fewr times on duty
The use of firearms on duty by police in Germany was a bit reduced: In the last year Officers shot 36 times on people. Six people died, 15 were injured. </translation>
Germany has a bit over 80 million people. Seems to me that either the police in Germany has little to do with violent crime, or they stay in their preceinct offices and don't venture out.
--
Best regards
Han

That's nothing ! The cops here in Portland can shoot that many at one suspect . ( of course only about a half dozen will actually hit him )

Do I really have to spell it out? Somehow it at least /seems/ that German society is a lot safer than many US places (these days). Question is what makes it so??
Of course, one shouldn't generalize etc, etc.
--
Best regards
Han
On 5/15/2012 1:14 PM, Han wrote:

docility of the general populous?
"chaniarts" wrote in message

docility of the general populous? =====================================================Yep.
On 5/15/2012 3:14 PM, Han wrote:

Germany probably has a smaller mix of questionable people.
Ship our trouble makers over there and see how they deal with the problem.

Can we start with the leftover katrina victims still in tejas?
On 5/15/2012 4:40 PM, ChairMan wrote:

No kidding! If they do well with that installment we can move on to to other undesirables. ;~)
ChairMan wrote:

Here's a first-hand report from Houston.
1. After Katrina, the number of violent criminals increased dramatically. 2. Fortunately, they killed each other off with great alacrity as they tried to sort out gang boundaries. 3. Those that didn't get killed, came face to face with Texas justice. I had more than one Houston cop tell me a common refrain was "Whatcha mean I can't be moseyin' thru my 'hood with a malt and a toke? I could back home!" Those with that attitude are now in the Grey Bar Hotel.
It's not all bad. Katrina broke the legacy of dependency. Imagine those Katria displaced persons who were relocated to, oh, Billings, Montana or Salt Lake City. A common refrain seemed to be: "Youz mean all I gots to do all day is stand behind dis counter and make Slurpies? And I gets PAID for it? Damn, that be cool!"

Which begs the question. What is there about US society that produces this excess of trouble makers?
On 5/16/2012 5:46 AM, Dave wrote:

Liberals that want to blame the parents instead of the child. Lack of appropriate punishment for the crime. Kids being taught that every one is equal and entitled to the same things even if they don't work. Government breeding poverty by welfare programs that do not require certain people to work.

This "liberal" would hope that some time soon every child may get the same opportunities to excel, and that there will be parents, teachers, friends and acquaintances who all will encourage each child to fully exploit his/her potential. Then all can be rewarded as to their efforts, be they plumber, carpenter, professor or president.
There is enough blame to go around in the current system of dumping children onto the "system". Parents, teachers, politicians especially can be assigned blame as you see fit ...
--
Best regards
Han
On 5/16/2012 9:08 AM, Han wrote:

.
I have go to say while it does not seem that every child in the US has an equal opportunity, a majority of them have a better opportunity than say 80% of the rest of the kids in the world.
So I say give the kids "equal opportunity" but no special privileges for a particular race.

That may be true when comparing US kids to zimbabwean kids. Unfortunately, the baseline from which US kids in a poor ghetto-like neighborhood/city start out is different compared to what kids from rich suburban towns experience (or can experience - there is a lot of neglect of varying sorts there too). Our US school systems do fall down on the job unless kids and/or parents and/or teachers exert special efforts, and too few anywhere care.
--
Best regards
Han

"Leon" wrote:

------------------------------------- Talk about total bull shit.
Lew
On 5/16/2012 12:13 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

How is that Kool-Aid tasting Lew?

Liberals (do/should) not blame the parents, at least not always. Bringing up kids is not an easy task, for anyone. My better half did most of the work, but I believe we have instilled work and other ethics in our kids and grandkids. Everyone does start out equal, but due to their own limitations or circumstances within or beyond their control, they do not end up equal. While your perception of "welfare" may be colored by your experiences, education and welfare and p[overty are separate things. They do affect each other, of course.
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

MOST of the things directly responsible ARE controllable by the individual. Staying in school, not getting pregnant, saying "No" to a dope dealer, and other temptations contribute mightily to membership in the underclass.
Conversely, there are things that encourage a proper life view: parents who read for recreation, caring for an animal, and more.

Agree with this 100%. Reminds me of one time when I was over at my parents house helping my father out with some heavy rocks in the garden. I was 21 at the time.
He stops and looks at me and then says. "You turned out all right". I hadn't realized that all those years of bringing me up, he had his doubts.
I was a little bastard when I was a kid and then into my teenage years. I guess I couldn't blame him for feeling that way. I'm sure it partially explains why I never had any kids. Karma would have stuck it to me for sure.
On 5/16/2012 5:46 AM, Dave wrote:

Wretched excess ...
--
www.eWoodShop.com