OT: Furniture Making

Page 2 of 3
Beej-in-GA wrote:

Wow, how could I have missed this thread? I caught that one bit you've quoted above, and I was getting ready to fire up a reply to point out the same thing you did in the message I was already reading. :)
I agree with the OP that you either like post-Waters Floyd or you don't, but I don't. Never have been able to get into it at all.
I've been thinking about Floyd a lot ever since I heard the "new" song by some band named Korn. Every time I hear the DJ announce it that way, I want to call the radio station and remind them that Pink Floyd recorded more songs than Money, Wish You Were Here, and Comfortably Numb, including that "new" one those young upstarts are covering.
They at least did it justice though, and I heard an interview with one of the band dudes talking about how they had put it together to try to be respectful of the original, yet with a Korn-ish feel. I'd say they pulled it off pretty well. It's listenable, and I don't normally listen to Korn, or their style of music. Hell, I might even say Korn did that synthesis of mostly Another Brick in the Wall better than Faux Floyd does.
And my OWWR, I have a hybrid of the best of DSOTM with all of WYWH that stays in my shop CD player. I haven't switched discs in years.
You are right... Badness on my part there to forget Syd. I think that Syd partly made Waters the dark side of Floyd, and may have influenced his 'mood' on a lot of his later albums.
Paul

You could be right, Paul, but, if I recall correctly, wasn't it Gilmour who wrote "Shine On You Crazy Diamond"? This is supposed to be the bands homage (if you will) to Syd. At least that is the story I have always heard. If you will look at A Saucerful Of Secrets, you will see shared writing credit given to Gilmour on track 5 (The title track). Track 7 Jugband Blues is written by Syd. I may be wrong, but I think this the first time that David shows up with the band. Please don't misunderstand, I am not saying that the band improved or has better songs after any of the changes. I love all of Pink Floyd's music! That's why I am trying to collect the whole catalog. I find very calming sanding while listening to Echoes or Comfortably Numb. In fact, while making the wife's desk nameplate, I was listening to Umma Gumma and Atom Heart Mother. Kind of kooky, but there it is. 8-) Later, Beej
Yeah, Syd was pretty much all of Piper at the Gates & then Dave showed up starting on Saucerful of Secrets. (or maybe it was Obscured??) I can't remember which album it was, or possibly it could be the DVD of Roger Waters "In The Flesh", but Roger before or after Shine On mentions that it is for Syd. It is too bad about the split of Floyd & Waters. They had a great thing together, but as you alluded, there is really no bad Pink Floyd. Or Roger Waters for that matter. Of course there are a few billion people who would disagree, but what do they know eh? :-)
Paul
Larry Jaques wrote:

Ozzie Nelson band, summer tour 1936, with Harriet Hilliard. Sweet.     mahalo,     jo4hn
It was somewhere outside Barstow when John Thomas

Almost every green woodworker in the UK is an old hippie Of A Certain Age.
They've _all_ named their bloody axes "Eugene", and act surprised when someone else did it too.

Yes, Wish You Were Here is up there, and other than the obvious DSotM, I've been gettin back into "Obsured by clouds". Nothing after The Wall does a whole lot for me, though.
Dave Hinz

I have an old album of theirs called "Relics" that I bought in the cut-out bin about 30 years ago. It is basically their music before they went all electronic. Not a bad listen.
Dave Hall
Dave Hall wrote:

Never released on CD though, I don't think.

Hi Michael, Sorry, but you are mistaken on the Relics thing. Here's a link: (Amazon.com product link shortened)10046015/sr=1-20/ref=sr_1_20/102-6378091-9700909?v=glance&s=music Careful of word wrap.
Beej-in-GA wrote:

Well, that's cool. I guess it just never made its way to any local record stores.
Not that I visit record stores very often. I already have (almost) everything Floyd did, and what else is there? A bunch of weird looking kids with metal things sticking out of their faces, mostly. I'm too old for record stores.
(as I don my flame proof undies) Then again, if you have the vinyl album, why would you want the CD anyway....
5,4,3,2,1..... ignite..
Paul
I like Floyd when I am designing furniture, Dylan when I am assembling, Stones, The Band, Van Morrison when I am cleaning and organizing the shop and the radio when I am in a rush to meet deadlines. max

I'm a big Gilmour fan, and a so-so Waters fan, so I hear you. Syd was before my time.
patrick conroy wrote:

No you're not, I like 'em! <G>
I like Squizz and other heavy stuff on XM.
If I've got a CD in, it's often Godsmack, Rammstein (which scares my wife <G>), Korn, White Zombie, Papa Roach, Saliva, and Zac's BLS for new stuff, or Metallica, Accept (The original angry Germans!), Ozzy, Priest, Maiden, etc... for classics.
Other times, I'm in a Little Feat, Allman Bros., or even Zydeco mood...
I can't imagine working without music. Varying the tune to the tasks keeps the whole thing flowing.
Barry

Aren't they all? :)

Randy Rhoads... <sigh> Dammit, dammit, dammit.
patrick conroy wrote:

Tell me about it.
Zak can rip it, though!
Barry
patrick conroy wrote:

Yep. :-)
I'm more likely to have old rock (late 60's to early 70's) or some jazz (mostly guitar-oriented "fusion") on when I'm working. Plus some Texana/Americana stuff like James McMurtry, Townes Van Zandt, Robert Earl Keen, etc.
Chuck Vance (heavy metal makes me jumpy ... not a good thing when working with sharp tools)
Classical, opera etc. It is very peaceful that way. Very creative atmosphere...
patrick conroy wrote:

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek