OT - FTP Freeware?

Page 2 of 2
That's just a Microsoft "feature" in their software... Linux Rules..

There is a perfectly good _command-line_ FTP client bundled with all the recent versions of MS-Windows.
just open a MS-DOS (aka "command") window, and type FTP at the dos prompt
If you need an FTP _server_, ws_ftp is worth considering.
Robert Bonomi wrote:

You can get more information about the Windows ftp client invocation by entering "ftp -h" (w/o quotes) at the command prompt.
Once the ftp client is running you can use the standard "help" ftp command to display the list of commands supported.
--
Morris Dovey
West Des Moines, Iowa USA
On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 20:43:30 -0600, Morris Dovey wrote:

The commandline ftp client shipped with Windows is based on BSD, at least mine is:
$ strings /mnt/dos/WINNT/system32/FTP.EXE | grep Regents
@(#) Copyright (c) 1983 The Regents of the University of California.

You might find the manpage for FreeBSD ftp useful, although the one shipped with Windows is probably archaic and probably doesn't support all the commands mentioned in the manpage:
http://tinyurl.com/26bj6
--

Frank

http://www.freebsd.org /

One of the recently announced security fixes for MSIE turns off the ability to send the ID and password as part of the URL.
In any case, many operating systems, including recent versions of MS Windows, include command line FTP that serves for most casual usage.
Bob Haar wrote:

PLEASE don't spread misinformation. This patch turns off URL username/password ONLY for HTTP and HTTPS, not anything else.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview /? url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS04-004.asp

For the computer nerd, yes. For the typical woodworker, anything command line sucks.
--
gabriel

Bill, I said it before, and I'll say it again, That thing is awesome!
Rob
--

******PLEASE NOTE OUR NEW EMAIL ADDRESS******

snipped-for-privacy@telus.net
Leech FTP is still available as a free download. Its no longer being developed or supported, though, but works great...
http://tinyurl.com/2gh9x

Bill Rittner wrote:

LOL, sorry about inciting this "my free FTP client is better than your free FTP client" discussion. All I meant to say is that you don't have to spend money if you don't want to. WS FTP costs about $60, so it may or may not be worth it to you depending on how good a fit the program is and how much transferring you do. At least now you have more info.
--
gabriel

Don't know about ws_ftp, but smartftp is free for personal use. You can get it at smartftp.com
Lance