OT - FTP Freeware?

Is there a freeware download of ws_ftp?

-- Bill Rittner R & B ENTERPRISES Manchester, CT

snipped-for-privacy@cox.net

"Don't take this life too seriously.......nobody gets out alive" (Unknown)

Remove "no" to reply

Reply to
Bill Rittner

Can't imagine why you are posting here, but I use FTP-Works. It was free and works fine.

Reply to
Toller

check out

for downloads

Reply to
FMB

Bill,

You can download the "LE" version from their site. You can only qualify to use it for free, IIRC, if you are a student, use if for personal purposes only, and a couple other things I can't remember. What you do with that information is your own bidness :)

If you want a truly freeware ftp client, try SmartFTP (smartftp.com). The interface is a little different, but once you get used to it it seems to work well.

Good luck, Rob

Reply to
Rob Walters

Reply to
Michael Baglio

Its now educational only. Personal use is not included.

Reply to
Bob Davis

Bill- I don't know about ws_ftp, but I've been using FTP Commander for years and it's been pretty much bullet proof, holds a good sized list of FTP sites, and allows server-side file manipulation.

DL at tucows, or your favorite freeware source.

/vic disclaimer: not affiliated with program or sources... etc.

Reply to
Victor Radin

What is ws_ftp?

Aside from that question, I get a LOT of freeware from Nonags.com

Reply to
Leon

I stand corrected. Been a while since I have installed WS_FTP...

Thanks, Rob

Reply to
Rob Walters

If the name doesn't tell you anything, you don't need it.

Reply to
gabriel

They have changed their license agreement to where its only free for educational use, not personal use. The download link you referenced does not say anything about it, but when you download it and try to install it, you are immediately taken to a registration site before installation. The licensing terms on the site clearly say educational use only.

Bob

"Michael Baglio @nc.rr.com>" >

Reply to
Bob Davis

Thanks to all who replied. Your help is greatly appreciated. I went to the company site and downloaded a 30 day trial of ws_ftp. It is a very easy application to use and I have posted some pics of an antique workbench I am cleanning for use. Here are the pics.

Rittner R & B ENTERPRISES Manchester, CT

snipped-for-privacy@cox.net

"Don't take this life too seriously.......nobody gets out alive" (Unknown)

Reply to
Bill Rittner

One note: If what you want to do is do FTP transfers (upload and download) with an FTP server that requires a login, you can use the Internet Explorer. Enter your URL like this:

ftp://:@

So like this:

ftp://gabriel: snipped-for-privacy@ftp.somewhere.com

There are other reasons to buy an actual FTP client like ws_ftp, such as: Needing a non-passive FTP connection (IE can only do passive), or needing to run custom FTP commands, or havnig an FTP server that IE does not understand, etc...

Just wanted to give you a heads up in case authentication was your reason for getting a different FTP client.

Reply to
gabriel

using IE for an ftp client will get you banned from a lot of boards. it pounsd the servers something bad....

Reply to
Bridger

Boards? What boards? Message boards?

Anyway, with the servers we run here, IE clients do send more chatter back and forth, but nowhere near enough to be a problem. We are talking very, very few extra bytes.

For what it's worth, an organization that bans users for their choice of client software just plain sucks at many levels. If the extra chatter from IE breaks a server, then there's a big problem with the organization.

I brought it up because I have dealt with it before, it works, and most people don't realize that it's pretty easy to use IE as a non-anomous FTP client.

Reply to
gabriel

Any web browser that supports the Uniform Resource Locator (URL) RFC 1738 will support non-anonymous FTP access. The RFC describes URL's for the following services, in addition to http[s] (hypertext transfer protocol):

ftp - file transfer protocol (RFC 959) gopher - gopher protocol (early type of search engine) (RFC 1436) mailto - SMTP (RFC 821) news - Usenet News nntp - Usenet News using NNTP (RFC 977) telnet - Telnet (RFC 854) wais - Wide area information service (RFC 1625)

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Reply to
Mark Hopkins

Leech FTP is still available as a free download. Its no longer being developed or supported, though, but works great...

Reply to
skimhoff

There is a perfectly good _command-line_ FTP client bundled with all the recent versions of MS-Windows.

just open a MS-DOS (aka "command") window, and type FTP at the dos prompt

If you need an FTP _server_, ws_ftp is worth considering.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

You can get more information about the Windows ftp client invocation by entering "ftp -h" (w/o quotes) at the command prompt.

Once the ftp client is running you can use the standard "help" ftp command to display the list of commands supported.

Reply to
Morris Dovey