OT - FTP Freeware?

Page 1 of 2
Is there a freeware download of ws_ftp?
-- Bill Rittner R & B ENTERPRISES Manchester, CT
snipped-for-privacy@cox.net
"Don't take this life too seriously.......nobody gets out alive" (Unknown)
Remove "no" to reply

Can't imagine why you are posting here, but I use FTP-Works. It was free and works fine.
check out www.tucows.com for downloads
--

FMB
(only one B in FMB)

Bill,
You can download the "LE" version from their site. You can only qualify to use it for free, IIRC, if you are a student, use if for personal purposes only, and a couple other things I can't remember. What you do with that information is your own bidness :)
If you want a truly freeware ftp client, try SmartFTP (smartftp.com). The interface is a little different, but once you get used to it it seems to work well.
Good luck, Rob
Its now educational only. Personal use is not included.

I stand corrected. Been a while since I have installed WS_FTP...
Thanks, Rob

thank god my daughter needed it for school! ;-) Greg

<http://download.com.com/3000-2160-10018456.html
They have changed their license agreement to where its only free for educational use, not personal use. The download link you referenced does not say anything about it, but when you download it and try to install it, you are immediately taken to a registration site before installation. The licensing terms on the site clearly say educational use only.
Bob
"Michael Baglio @nc.rr.com>" <mbaglio<NOSPAM> wrote in message

Bill- I don't know about ws_ftp, but I've been using FTP Commander for years and it's been pretty much bullet proof, holds a good sized list of FTP sites, and allows server-side file manipulation.
DL at tucows, or your favorite freeware source.
/vic disclaimer: not affiliated with program or sources... etc.
What is ws_ftp?
Aside from that question, I get a LOT of freeware from Nonags.com

Leon wrote:

If the name doesn't tell you anything, you don't need it.
--
gabriel

I suspect it is a big secret or you don't know either, but I have no problem myself transferring large files with DSL.
Leon wrote:

All right, I'll tell ya: FTP is File Transfer Protocol, which is simply a way of transferring files throught the TCP/IP protocol. You need an FTP server as well as a client to transfer files this way.
FTP is a protocol that runs on top of your internet connection, so on your DSL connection you would use an FTP client to upload and download files to a server.
Most people use FTP without knowing they are using it, as the web browser (at least most web browsers) seamlessly implement the FTP protocol without problems. Unless you look very carefully while downloading something, you will not realize that the transfer protocol is FTP.
Sorry for my smart-ass response. My point was that, unless you needed some of the extended features of the FTP protocol (or will transfer lots of files regularly), you probably do not need a separate FTP client. If you don't know what an FTP client is, then you probably don't need one.
Now WS FTP is one of many commercially-available FTP clients. WS FTP is widely seen as the best FTP client there is, but you nkow how everyone has their own opinion about such things. You can find WS FTP at ipswitch.com which is the manufacturer's web site.
--
gabriel

Thanks..
Thanks to all who replied. Your help is greatly appreciated. I went to the company site and downloaded a 30 day trial of ws_ftp. It is a very easy application to use and I have posted some pics of an antique workbench I am cleanning for use. Here are the pics.
http://members.cox.net/wcrittner/Bench%201.jpg
http://members.cox.net/wcrittner/Bench%202.jpg
http://members.cox.net/wcrittner/Bench%203.jpg
http://members.cox.net/wcrittner/Bench%204.jpg
-- Bill Rittner R & B ENTERPRISES Manchester, CT
snipped-for-privacy@cox.net
"Don't take this life too seriously.......nobody gets out alive" (Unknown)
Remove "no" to reply

One note: If what you want to do is do FTP transfers (upload and download) with an FTP server that requires a login, you can use the Internet Explorer. Enter your URL like this:
So like this:
ftp://gabriel: snipped-for-privacy@ftp.somewhere.com
There are other reasons to buy an actual FTP client like ws_ftp, such as: Needing a non-passive FTP connection (IE can only do passive), or needing to run custom FTP commands, or havnig an FTP server that IE does not understand, etc...
Just wanted to give you a heads up in case authentication was your reason for getting a different FTP client.
--
gabriel

using IE for an ftp client will get you banned from a lot of boards. it pounsd the servers something bad....
Bridger wrote:

Boards? What boards? Message boards?
Anyway, with the servers we run here, IE clients do send more chatter back and forth, but nowhere near enough to be a problem. We are talking very, very few extra bytes.
For what it's worth, an organization that bans users for their choice of client software just plain sucks at many levels. If the extra chatter from IE breaks a server, then there's a big problem with the organization.
I brought it up because I have dealt with it before, it works, and most people don't realize that it's pretty easy to use IE as a non-anomous FTP client.
--
gabriel

Any web browser that supports the Uniform Resource Locator (URL) RFC 1738 will support non-anonymous FTP access. The RFC describes URL's for the following services, in addition to http[s] (hypertext transfer protocol):
ftp - file transfer protocol (RFC 959) gopher - gopher protocol (early type of search engine) (RFC 1436) mailto - SMTP (RFC 821) news - Usenet News nntp - Usenet News using NNTP (RFC 977) telnet - Telnet (RFC 854) wais - Wide area information service (RFC 1625)
scott