OT: From one vet to another

Very funny, Larry. It was a poke at chickenhawk Cheney/Rummy's media blackout of returning veteran's caskets - that pissed me off.

Actually, have never blacked out, it's a control thing. I partake on occasion, but I don't drink _that_ much - it's not a lifestyle or anything. Always had to worry about getting home in one piece, and what people will do to you if you pass out in public.

Congratulations.

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Everybody's a freaking comedian today. It was a reference to media blackouts by the previous admin. As for Obama, likely publicity but at least a modicum of respect for those losses.

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

And to you and all the rest who served. USN 55-59, USNR SeaBees 63-73

Norm

Reply to
Nahmie

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 09:26:43 -0600, the infamous Swingman scrawled the following:

And that fact is one of the problems with our military, oui?

-- You know, in about 40 years, we'll have literally thousands of OLD LADIES running around with TATTOOS, and Rap Music will be the Golden Oldies. Now that's SCARY! --Maxine

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 23:40:46 +0800, the infamous "diggerop" scrawled the following:

Yes, things could be worse. You could be speaking Strine. Oh, wait a minute...

-- You know, in about 40 years, we'll have literally thousands of OLD LADIES running around with TATTOOS, and Rap Music will be the Golden Oldies. Now that's SCARY! --Maxine

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Certainly seems to be the case. Particularly when you get the kind of nonsense we heard this week where one of them was lamenting that the greatest tragedy that could come out of the Ft Hood massacre would be for the Army to "lose its diversity". Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? Over.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

... and the Aussies have been one of the stalwarts in the war on terror. One of your own artists tributes to your troops:

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Mark & Juanita wrote in news:vMqdnU0vD5FTQWHXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@supernews.com:

Ayaan Hirsi Ali, a woman of Somai descent who became a Dutch member of parliament

wrote a book with the title "Infidel" that is at times a bit tedious, but generally very enlightening, especially about the conflicts that second generation immigrants from poor islamic countries experience.

Get the book from your library!

Hasan fits in this category perfectly. Someone, somehow should have caught this, but didn't. Neither was Timothy McVeigh caught in time, so this type of asocial behavior is a real problem, especially with the easy availability of weapons etc in the US.

Just my opinion, YMMV!!!

Reply to
Han

I knew there was something I liked about you :-)

USN Seabees 1967-71 RVN Class of '69 RNMCB-21 for a couple of years in the late 70's to see if I still liked it.

Joe aka 10x

Reply to
10x

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 21:13:02 -0700, the infamous Mark & Juanita scrawled the following:

Yeah, WTF,O? I think that the Demonrats all _want_ America to fail. My neighbor thinks that a certain guy in D.C. is an Arab sleeper, and the more I see of him, the more I'm tending to believe her. Why did he avoid Ft. Hood? (The last of a vast, growing line of questions.)

-- You know, in about 40 years, we'll have literally thousands of OLD LADIES running around with TATTOOS, and Rap Music will be the Golden Oldies. Now that's SCARY! --Maxine

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Let's drop the "easy availability of weapons in the US" aspect of this that the state-run media, Mayor Daley, and other gun grabbers have been trying here.

In this case, the guy was on a friggin' Army base. You don't think he could have wrangled access to weapons on base if he couldn't have gotten them off-base? McVeigh didn't use weapons other than readily available diesel and agricultural fertilizer. The anti-gun crowd is just exploiting this and it merely helps divert attention from the real problems here of PC in the military.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Mark & Juanita wrote in news:xtGdnVGNCbPYpmPXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@supernews.com:

But apparently it wasn't an military gun or guns he used but a gun of rather great capabilities (magazine contents) he procured in a place that didn't ask many questions.

I agree that if someone is off-kilter enough to want a massacre he would have found a way, but in this case it was too easy to get the weapon(s). So my argument IS germane.

Do you know why al those soldiers in the readiness center were unarmed?

Reply to
Han

Geez guys give it a rest! If not, just let me have another beer or two and can out piss both of you!

And, just to keep this a bit less OT than it already is, My dad was a WWII vet in the Regina Rifles, who were liberators of a good chunk of Holland, I was a peace time member of the Regina Rifles and my son is now a master corporal in the Royal Regina Rifles and is on active service.

Thanks to all vets where ever they served, 'cause anyone with a brain knows that freedom is not free.

Reply to
Doug Brown

"Doug Brown" wrote in news:AI6dnUV9U9sM9mLXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@posted.sasktel:

I grew up in Wageningen, where the Germans capitulated in 1945. My high school was on the General Foulkesweg (road). (The Canandian general in command for the surrender).

A few years ago, biking in the east of Holland paid homage to a monument of the Queens Own Rifles of Canada near Doesburg.

Reply to
Han

You're probably right but I wish it weren't so. There isn't any reason why an Army psychiatrist should be carrying arms on a stateside base, and the Army should keep them out of the hands of people to whom they are not officially issued.

Before McVeigh the worse peacetime American mass murderer used a couple of gallons of gasoline to kill about 80 people.

Or, as Archie Bunker once said, "would you feel any better if those people had their brains beat out by baseball bats instead?"

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

LOL! Never served in the Army or Marine Corps, eh?

It is their job to be "armed" and each member is "issued" a weapon appropriate to their job.

Historically an officer is issued a pistol, although in this case it appears that this terrorist used his own.

On a base, and although access to both is regulated, what is regulated more tightly than the weapons themselves (which must be practiced with and maintained on a regular basis), is "ammunition".

In combat zones, when everyone is armed with both weapons and ammunition, the rule of "an armed society is a polite society" is amazingly observable.

And it works because of two basic concepts: "training" and "discipline".

Terrorists are short on both ... as we just observed again at Ft Hood.

Reply to
Swingman

What weapon is appropriately issued to a psychiatrist doing his job on a stateside base?

When you consider the answer, you will also know why he used his own.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

I answered that question, but you conveniently left it out of your quotes ... as an Officer, TOE calls for him to be issued a pistol.

He used his own because he was a terrorist and cared naught for neither training nor discipline ... something else you snipped.

You didn't answer my question, but your initial statement made it obvious, you have not served.

Reply to
Swingman