OT: From one vet to another

Page 1 of 2
Happy Veteran's Day.
Vietnam - 67 - 68
MJ
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Yes Happy Veteran's Day to all who served! It is greatly appreciated!
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Back atacha!
RVN - 69 - 70
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Classified 4H, Home 72-75. Missed it by || much. Many thanks to all of you who have served and now serve. We love ya.
If life were fair, you'd be allowed to cap a liberal every Veteran's Day.
---------------------------------------------------- Thesaurus: Ancient reptile with excellent vocabulary ===================================================

I'm a liberal (fiscally conservative) who thanks Allied WWII soldiers every day for their efforts. I have the greatest admiration for those who serve and those who served. However, I heartily disapprove of gung-ho generals and politicians, especially the ones who deceive the public.
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

As a former Army officer with that coveted "combat command" so necessary for advancement, I can tell you with _absolute_ certainty that anyone who attains the rank of General IS a politician.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

I believe you. In defense of said individual, it may be necessary for a leader to convince "his" people that his way is best, and that they better do it /NOW!/.
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

Haven't been in the military, eh?
A military "leaders" orders are obeyed, no "convincing" necessary.
Article 90 UCMJ.
Nonetheless, a certain degree of trust in the "leader" makes it work a damn sight more effectively. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

No. Didn't seem my favorite occupation. In fact, the choice in 1969 between compulsory military service in Holland and the chance for PhD training in Boston was easy to make, and spouse agreed. Still does. And we're still liberal, only a tad less than then. Moreover, we're now US citizens.

That's them rules, I believe.

Ahhh! Now the lights went on! I agree!
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

I was drafted in my senior year of college (I'd spent too much time globe trotting and 'aged out' of my 2S deferment), or, considering the absolute certainty of my eventual destination, I would most likely have passed myself. <g>

The politics of advancement in the US military above the rank of full Colonel is brutal to the point that cunning and political skill are much more important than leadership ... a deplorable subversion of the entirety of the concepts of "spirit and honor" that go before.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

And that fact is one of the problems with our military, oui?
-- You know, in about 40 years, we'll have literally thousands of OLD LADIES running around with TATTOOS, and Rap Music will be the Golden Oldies. Now that's SCARY! --Maxine
Larry Jaques wrote:

Certainly seems to be the case. Particularly when you get the kind of nonsense we heard this week where one of them was lamenting that the greatest tragedy that could come out of the Ft Hood massacre would be for the Army to "lose its diversity". Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? Over.

Rob Leatham

Ayaan Hirsi Ali, a woman of Somai descent who became a Dutch member of parliament (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayaan_Hirsi_Ali) wrote a book with the title "Infidel" that is at times a bit tedious, but generally very enlightening, especially about the conflicts that second generation immigrants from poor islamic countries experience.
Get the book from your library!
Hasan fits in this category perfectly. Someone, somehow should have caught this, but didn't. Neither was Timothy McVeigh caught in time, so this type of asocial behavior is a real problem, especially with the easy availability of weapons etc in the US.
Just my opinion, YMMV!!!
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

... snip

Let's drop the "easy availability of weapons in the US" aspect of this that the state-run media, Mayor Daley, and other gun grabbers have been trying here.
In this case, the guy was on a friggin' Army base. You don't think he could have wrangled access to weapons on base if he couldn't have gotten them off-base? McVeigh didn't use weapons other than readily available diesel and agricultural fertilizer. The anti-gun crowd is just exploiting this and it merely helps divert attention from the real problems here of PC in the military.

Rob Leatham

But apparently it wasn't an military gun or guns he used but a gun of rather great capabilities (magazine contents) he procured in a place that didn't ask many questions.
I agree that if someone is off-kilter enough to want a massacre he would have found a way, but in this case it was too easy to get the weapon(s). So my argument IS germane.
Do you know why al those soldiers in the readiness center were unarmed?
--
Best regards
Han

Geez guys give it a rest! If not, just let me have another beer or two and can out piss both of you!
And, just to keep this a bit less OT than it already is, My dad was a WWII vet in the Regina Rifles, who were liberators of a good chunk of Holland, I was a peace time member of the Regina Rifles and my son is now a master corporal in the Royal Regina Rifles and is on active service.
Thanks to all vets where ever they served, 'cause anyone with a brain knows that freedom is not free.

I grew up in Wageningen, where the Germans capitulated in 1945. My high school was on the General Foulkesweg (road). (The Canandian general in command for the surrender).
A few years ago, biking in the east of Holland paid homage to a monument of the Queens Own Rifles of Canada near Doesburg.
--
Best regards
Han

You're probably right but I wish it weren't so. There isn't any reason why an Army psychiatrist should be carrying arms on a stateside base, and the Army should keep them out of the hands of people to whom they are not officially issued.

Before McVeigh the worse peacetime American mass murderer used a couple of gallons of gasoline to kill about 80 people.
Or, as Archie Bunker once said, "would you feel any better if those people had their brains beat out by baseball bats instead?"
--
FF

Fred the Red Shirt wrote:

LOL! Never served in the Army or Marine Corps, eh?
It is their job to be "armed" and each member is "issued" a weapon appropriate to their job.
Historically an officer is issued a pistol, although in this case it appears that this terrorist used his own.
On a base, and although access to both is regulated, what is regulated more tightly than the weapons themselves (which must be practiced with and maintained on a regular basis), is "ammunition".
In combat zones, when everyone is armed with both weapons and ammunition, the rule of "an armed society is a polite society" is amazingly observable.
And it works because of two basic concepts: "training" and "discipline".
Terrorists are short on both ... as we just observed again at Ft Hood.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

What weapon is appropriately issued to a psychiatrist doing his job on a stateside base?
When you consider the answer, you will also know why he used his own.
--
FF