OT - Free show tonight: Great Perseiids Meteor Shower

Expected to begin between 9pm and 10pm your local time. Watch to the northeast - show is courtesy of Comet Swift-Tuttle.

You can find more information at

Morris Dovey DeSoto Solar DeSoto, Iowa USA

Morris Dovey

Will a telescope add anything to the enjoyment? I have a 9.25" SC I might break out tonight.

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

Too small a field of view. Find a dark spot in the country, lie back and watch the show.

Should be about 100 per hour.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Do you think NASA could send someone over to get rid of all these low lying clouds that moved today?

Tip for the day, if you're studying to be an astronomer - don't move to the PNW.

Reply to
Eigenvector

Can't send NASA, but we'll take any you can find and can push this way. I'd gladly give up the meteor shower for a rain shower...100+F for two weeks solid w/ nothing in sight to move the stinkin' high is a little much even for us... :(

--

Reply to
dpb

Or Detroit. Between the 'normal' light pollution, the planes landing at DTW and the low clouds, the sky is still blue.

Bill

Reply to
BillinDetroit

For my space-cadet friends:

is a BIG image. It is enhanced, assembled, etc. But the result is breath taking.

enjoy!

Robatoy

Blue? They don't coke at the Rouge any more?

Four-year old nephew to his mother. "How come aunt Susan has more stars than we do?" And they're from Canton.

Come to think of it, might be more light there than in those burned-over areas around downtown....

Reply to
George

I went out in a perfectly clear sky, 30 miles from the city, on Saturday night; saw one meteorite in 30 minutes.

Tried again Sunday. Saw nothing in about 10 minutes, and it clouded over. However it was interesting to watch how the clouds developed.

A couple years ago I saw 2 or 3 a minute. This year was defective.

Reply to
Toller

at

> Enjoy!

night. If I recall, I saw about 30 meteors some quite spectacular.

Reply to
rile42

Paddled the canoe out into the middle of the lake, then just laid back for a couple of hours after midnight. Quite a show!

Reply to
Russ

It was here, too. We had thunderstorms and the light show was considerably closer to the ground. We had rain and hail this morning and they're predicting more storms tonight.

Perhaps next year...

Morris Dovey

at

>>> Enjoy!

You might have seen even more if you would have rolled over and looked up...

Sorry, weird morning and couldn't resist..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis