OT. Free Shipping Lee Valley

Page 1 of 4
March 18, 2011 to March 28, 2011
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

That's decidedly on-topic in my book. JP
On 3/18/11 6:12 PM, Jay Pique wrote:

Yeah, I just don't get that.
--

-MIKE-

If you spend $40 or more.

It's pretty tough to spend that much money at Lee Valley. I mean, all their products are so cheap, one would have to buy fifteen to twenty tools to meet their criteria.
On 3/19/11 1:59 AM, Upscale wrote:

Nice.
--

-MIKE-

"Leon" wrote in message

So that's a carpenter's pencil, one of those tweezers for removing splinters, and a reprint of an 1895 book of Canadian lumberjack songs (in French).
I like Lee Valley a lot, but their prices sometimes sting a bit.
DGDevin wrote:

It's interesting (to me at least) how they are offering a discount while not "cheapening their brand". They want you to get accustomed to those high prices! ; )
Brother, can you spare a dime--oops, I mean enough for a shoulder plane... I think I'll need 35 rolls of dimes. You'll probably be reading articles about the planes I've made in ww mags before that happens! : ) I actually ran across a **wooden** router plane (up for action) the other day. Maybe I'll make one of those while I'm at it! Too much fun!
Bill

Cheapening their brand could well cheapen their other outstanding product. That product is service. I'd estimate that out of all their products I've bought, I've returned 10-15% of their products for a full, unquestioned refund. Whether it's the product's unsuitablity or just my change of heart, I've never had any type of argument or hint of refusal to return something. Be it three weeks or three months, it's all the same. That type of customer service costs money and time, a type of service many other companies toss by the wayside. Id much rather pay the expense of that type of service and received immediate, unquestioned response than benefit from the occasional 'cheapening' of their brand.
Upscale wrote:

Everyone seems to rant and bitch about the box stores and their crappy service and then jump all over Lee Valley for their high prices. Make up your minds folks, I don't mind Lee Valley prices for the same reasons above, especially for the personalized service.
--
PV

If you can't fix it with a hammer.......you have an electrical problem

On 3/19/11 12:03 PM, PV wrote:

--
Froz...

PV wrote:

FWIW, I wasn't making a political statement as much as I was sharing an observation about their marketing strategy (I don't think of them as a non-profit). A business person would probably say they don't want to "cheapen their brand". I don't feel a moral obligation to help them maintain their prices--it's not like they are in business to do me a favor. At this point, I have to stretch my arms a great deal to reach their supply curve. The "market" will help decide their prices and everyone here is part of that market.
BTW, this is not a Lee Valley thing for me. I try to be aware of the ways that all companies, with the potential to hit my pocketbook, advertise to me. A more sophisticated version of the game involves getting investment advise from CNBC. If you listen to what they say, you have to think about their possible motives for having said it. If you listen too attentively you will get burned! Caveat emptor! : ) Lee Valley--"buy, buy, buy!" (are they even listed?)
Bill
"PV" wrote in message

All I said was their prices sting a bit, but I've been shopping there for years so apparently I can bear the pain. I finally bit the bullet and threw out my old LV catalogs--didn't want to, but they were taking up too much shelf space.
Where I draw the line is on items like books which I can find elsewhere for significantly less. I understand that a Veritas tool that took time and money to develop and is superior to many other brands is going to cost more. I just don't see any need to pay twenty bucks for a fifteen dollar book as that kills the free shipping pretty fast.
"PV" wrote:

There are those that woud bitch even if they got hung with a new rope.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

LOL...good one
--
PV

If you can't fix it with a hammer.......you have an electrical problem

Upscale wrote:

Not me. I buy my cars used from auto dealerships, and that mean "As-Is, Where-Is", without even a warrantee of fitness for any purpose. I'd rather buy products from Lee Valley or Lie Nielson on similar terms, and avoid the costs associated with being an "expensive customer" to service. Unfortunately, expensive customers (and I have known some) raise the prices for everyone.
Bill
I just bought a LV low angle Jack Plane and 2 blades. I already had a jack, but I needed a high angle for some tough figure. The low angle Jack fit the bill, since I can easily change blades... One of them came in dinged. I didn't feel like sharpening the O2 that far in... the ding was extensive. So I sent it back for an exchange. Its 2 weeks already, so I sent an email yesterday and they said it shipped Thursday. Good service. No shipping cost for the replacement. That's good service. Most companies you pay the cost to ship it back. That sucks big time, since it is costing you to cover their mistake or lack of QC.
I will be ordering some things next week from LV... Good company, good service. But like others, you pick and choose what you are willing to pay for.
On 3/20/2011 5:36 AM, Bill wrote:

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 13:43:03 -0400, tiredofspam <nospam.nospam.com> wrote:

Two weeks doesn't sound all that impressive. Impressive is next, or even two-day cross-shipment, at their expense. ...or perhaps let you keep the damaged blade and ship another.
Warranty repairs on my laptops have been three-day turn around (ship Tuesday, back Friday), paid by them. Two weeks? That sounds like they used a rebate company. ;-)

I am going to start off with the fact that I like Lee Valley. I do however agree that 2 weeks turn around is not good service especially when the service to begin with, receiving a dinged tool, is a wash even if you get the replacement next day. Good service is making sure your customer does not have to call you back about a damaged part.
"Leon" wrote in message

Way back when I worked for a company with a mail order division the policy was the replacement shipped when the returned item was received and found to be a legitimate return. Sad to say, but the company had learned the hard way that there are just enough unscrupulous customers who wouldn't return the supposedly defective item, or would return something that had clearly been damaged by their hand, that it was unwise to ship a replacement on trust. I recall other tricks, like returning an item actually purchased from another supplier, or removing a desired accessory and shipping back everything else, or in effect renting various tools to try them out and returning them on some feeble excuse (the same guy doing it over and over). It's the old story of the bad apples making it less pleasant for everyone else.