OT: Fix for pesky cheapo aglets

Page 3 of 4
On 3/21/13 1:09 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

East suburbs... some in, most out of Cuyahoga. Geauga mostly, some time in Summit and Portage counties. I went to ten schools before graduating high school. :-)

Crap Lew, now you got me craving. There's only ONE real Jewish deli in all of Nashville and I don't think they've ever served them.
--

-MIKE-

On 3/21/2013 2:31 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Is there a Polish place, they may have them as well.
--
Froz...

"FrozenNorth" wrote:

---------------------------------------------------------------- Pierogi are what is known as: Pollak soul food.
Lew
"-MIKE-" wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------- Don't feel like the Lone Ranger.
Here in SoCal, almost impossible to find real deli rye bread.
They are truly clueless when you ask for rye bread "with seeds".
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

At least you can get pastrami. I wish Junior's would open a branch in central Florida. They would have the bread, btw.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On Thu, 21 Mar 2013 07:53:45 -0500, Swingman wrote:

It can't be common southern usage, I had never heard it either, always referred to it as the hickey on the end of a shoestring.
basilisk
Swingman wrote:

It's only regional in those areas where most know what it means. In areas where most do not know what it means, it is foreign.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 3/21/2013 5:13 PM, willshak wrote:

Really? No kidding?
<Watch those brilliant displays of logic there, Bill. Had to adjust the contrast on my monitor for that one>
:)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

I also have occasional problems with aiglets. I'm a rightpondian and have always known them as such. My dictionaries (both US and UK) do not show the word aglet. They both show aiglet, or aiguillette. Middle French meaning the METAL tag at the end of a shoelace or other lace.
I'd not thought of heatshrink tube. I've always used a short piece of suitable metal tube crimped to the end of lace.
Just my 2P's worth. Nick.
On 3/21/2013 9:31 AM, Nick wrote:

I know "aiguillette" as a small needle, but would never had made the connection between that and a farking shoelace? :)
My bet is that without Google, there would be a lot more without a clue in that regard if they would only be honest enough to admit it.
Most of us, who have more important things to do, leave the discussion of shoelaces to little girls, shoe merchants, and ribbon clerks. <g>
Live and learn ... and be honest enough to admit that you do.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 3/21/2013 9:53 AM, Swingman wrote:

WTF is'a "ribbon clerk" LOL
On 3/21/2013 11:17 AM, Leon wrote:

An old poker playing term from my wasted youth ... derogatory, for someone who continually and only bets small amounts.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 3/21/2013 11:22 AM, Swingman wrote:

And here I was thinking maybe a person that adds foo foo stuff to accessorize women's dresses at the point of sale. :~O
On 3/20/2013 9:26 PM, scritch wrote:

I tried that years ago with Rockport shoe laces, the ends always prematurely failed. The problem with the heat shrink tubing is that it did not hold up as well as the original aglets.
FWIW, I have found that the aglets on every pair of replacement shoe laces hold up well as long as they are not Rockport brand.
On 3/21/2013 6:48 AM, Leon wrote:

But the heat-shrink is replaceable!
On 3/21/2013 6:55 PM, scritch wrote:

Yes it is, and in my experience it not only is replaceable but has to be replaced more often than the originals. Basically, I choose to spend the $2 for a better pair of laces that break before the aglet does.
It was a cool idea but I felt it was too much trouble to continue that cycle. YMMV

The heat shrink snags a bit when pulling the lace back out of the eyelet during boot removal and eventually pulls off.
This works: Slide a short (1/2") length of heat shrink a few inches down the lace. Work some black silicone sealer into the last 3/4" of the lace fabric. Slide the heat shrink to cover the end and shrink it down. Let the silicone set up and trim the lace end to angle.
Eventually the heat shrink will come off, but now you have a flexible rubbery end that does not snag or fray and will last the life of the lace.
On 3/21/2013 10:17 PM, Larry Kraus wrote:

;~) Now on to solve other worldly problems.
"Larry Kraus" wrote in message wrote:

The heat shrink snags a bit when pulling the lace back out of the eyelet during boot removal and eventually pulls off.
This works: Slide a short (1/2") length of heat shrink a few inches down the lace. Work some black silicone sealer into the last 3/4" of the lace fabric. Slide the heat shrink to cover the end and shrink it down. Let the silicone set up and trim the lace end to angle.
Eventually the heat shrink will come off, but now you have a flexible rubbery end that does not snag or fray and will last the life of the lace.
On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 19:26:11 -0700, scritch wrote:

As you say this isn't a problem with hooks...
I like to buy boots with hooks, wear them a few wekks to get them adjusted, tie the strings with a square knot and clip the excess. They never come untied.
basilisk