OT: Fix for pesky cheapo aglets

Page 1 of 4
I don't know about you, but I think it's awful how some things are definitely NOT better in this global market. One thing that has deteriorated in the name of profit is aglets. They used to be made of durable metal, and almost invariably outlasted the laces they were crimped on to. Now, however, they are almost universally cheap plastic, and fall apart before the shoelaces are barely worn.
While this is not a problem for boots with hooks, my boots require that I pull the laces through the eyelets every time I don or doff them, wearing out the aglets in short order. But, I have discovered a cure! I got some heat-shrink tubing and cut pieces just a bit longer than the aglets, and shrank them up tight over the aglets, creating a much more durable, and replaceable, aglet than the originals.

kinds of repairs. I never thought of aglet repair. And they come in bright colors too. So you won't have problems seeing them.
And I do have aglet problems. Between two kittens and a puppy, the only shoes around here with aglets left were locked up in a closet during their younger days. We had this one monster kitty who used to untie my shoelaces every time I sat down. It got to be downright dangerous around it. It got to such a monster, we got rid of her. Replaced it with a kitten from a neighborhood cat and he was fine. By the time he arrived, all the aglets were gone!
"Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote:

Never heard that word in my life, and I haven't lived a sheltered life. Must be Northern terminology?
--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)

Swingman wrote:

Which word? Kitten? Puppy?
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Hey! Don't throw your lack of knowledge on us. Apparently, its origin comes from an old French word~ European French, not even Quebec French.
On 3/21/2013 7:18 AM, Dave wrote:

Can you add something, other than your bibliobibuli Google barf above, to the query about whether "aglet" is mostly regional in use?
<That's right, go ahead and Google that other word while you're at it>
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Google barfed or not, you didn't know it so that automatically means it's Northern Terminology?
Maybe I should just attribute your dispensing attitude to one born of Texas drawl.

Having lived every other place than the North, and not having heard the term anywhere else, it was a legitimate question totally unworthy of your unnecessary, out of left field snideness.

And to what do we attribute your original "dispensing of attitude" with the uncalled for:

Might want to try getting your panties untwisted and starting the day over ... and not for the first time.
--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)

Riiiiight! You haven't lived in Canada so if there's something you don't know, that presupposes that it's of Canadian origin.
Sometimes Karl, you're so full of shit it's stifling.

Yup. Don't have to start anything over, I'm just fine.
On Thu, 21 Mar 2013 10:02:25 -0400, Dave wrote:

basilisk
On 3/21/2013 9:10 AM, basilisk wrote:

ROTHF No kidding. Parts of Texas are actually in the North!
"Leon" wrote:

Texas is like that stuff you put on the sod.
Parts of it are everywhere<G>.
Lew
On 3/21/2013 9:02 AM, Dave wrote:

Canada?? LOL
Hell, Bubba ... around here "North" could mean Dallas ... WTF is it with this "Canada" shit?
> Sometimes Karl, you're so full of shit it's stifling.
Well, it arguably took a considerable pile of shit from you to unilaterally introduce "Canada" into the discussion, eh?

Your above certainly doesn't sound like it ...
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Considering that Canada frequently is called the Great White North, AND considering that you just stated that you've lived everywhere else, the assumption that you were talking about Canada is not a big stretch at all.
As I stated and very much amplified with every reply you come up with ~ You're full of shit. Keep digging, you're only covering yourself with more of it.
On 3/21/2013 9:42 AM, Dave wrote:

You, who just admitted above to making "assumptions", and proving the old saying in doing so, now calling someone else full of shit?
Go figure ...
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Well, I'm at fault in one respect. I made the mistake in not realizing that in your mind, the USA is the centre of the universe. Why would I think that "North" was *anywhere* outside of the USA?
What the hell was I thinking? Why would I even consider that the topics and users of this newgroup might span many, many countries?
Well, it won't happen again. When YOU are posting, unless you state otherwise, I will KNOW that you are talking about the USA and in particular, your own little section of the great USA.
On 3/21/2013 10:28 AM, Dave wrote:

Again, Dave ... it is _provably_ you, and ONLY you, who (foolishly and without provacation) introduced nationality into this discussion ... live with it.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

And why shouldn't I? I gave you my reason for doing so ~ a very valid reason as far as I'm concerned. Obviously, my reasons aren't valid as far as you're concerned. That's *you're* problem, not mine.
This *IS* a multinational newsgroup no matter how you preface it. Live with it.
On 3/21/2013 10:39 AM, Dave wrote:

Once you start with assumptions, you gotta keep on justifying it with more.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Actually, the problem was caused by you and your inability to specify what northern area you were talking about.
You talked about something that was vague and expect everyone else to automatically know what you were referring too. You live in an amplified scale or arrogance.