OT FIRST RUN WOODWORKS

Page 5 of 6
On Fri, 2 May 2008 06:23:13 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

Gotta witness!
Tom Watson tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet www.home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1
Add pictures here
✖
Frank Boettcher wrote:

She's pretty, but her head seems way too big for her body.
Add pictures here
✖

No Mike... don't go there. It's bait Mike - leave it alone...
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

what
Soooooo.. are you saying that when Julia Childs slid a roast in the oven, and took it out 45 seconds later....it COULD have been shenanigans/video/time-lapse kinda trickery? Is that why my 20-second souffles were always very runny?
The runny soufflé problem is because you aren't using a nitro injection system on your appliances... the secret to TV cooking is high heat.... or at least that's the impression Julia's torch scenes left on me. ;~)
John
Add pictures here
✖

Always possible. That's why I didn't tee off on him to begin with. I know even >> I << have been misunderstood at times! You betcha!

Damnit, I was trying to let that go. when I saw that haircut and dye job, he reminded me of this older lady I do a lot of routine maintenance for at her house.
She is in her mid 70s, and dyes here hair such a dark brown it is almost black. I think she believes she has fooled everyone about her real color, but it looks like she has a piece of black carpet draped on her head. Their hair styles and colors are strikingly similar...
LMAO!
Shame on you Karl!
Robert
Add pictures here
✖

Hell, men who still have that much hair at 55 just piss me off in general.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
✖
I believe you have the type of attitude towards others the world really needs to try and bring back. I know my woodworking is still on a novice level, but a kind word from someone more accomplished sure encourages me to continue. That kind word with helpful hints as the say is "priceless".
--
Mike
Watch for the bounce.

It ain't just woodworking. Kind words are in a great shortage in this day and age. There was a time when courtesy and polite conversation was considered an art form.
Kind words are healing. Kind words are helpful and incouraging. Mean and nasty isn't helpful or inspirational.
Add pictures here
✖
"Lee Michaels" wrote:

Remember what you were supposed to learn at your mother's knee?
"If you can't say something nice, don't say anything ay all".
Lew
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 17:37:49 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"

This could turn the entire planet into a mime show.
Tom Watson tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet www.home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1
Add pictures here
✖

And a mime is a terrible thing to waste.
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 11:00:21 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

Mime is money!
✖

They're anti-personelle (sp?) devices put in place by various armies at times of war. Walking in a mime field is always considered a bad thing, and often results in death.
Puckdropper
--
Oops.

Add pictures here
✖
"Puckdropper" wrote in message

Yabbut, ONLY as long as you _say_ something about it!!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

If you hear any sound, it's too late ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

haha ~
Tom wins!
Add pictures here
✖

Amen, brother. Some of those harmless little old retirees didn't deserve that treatment. They were the ones that seem to take it the hardest.
And they are so far off Marks' radar, I didn't understand why he couldn't have shown just a bit more decorum, if not consideration.
Robert
Add pictures here
✖

Tact, brother... TACT.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:
<snip>

David Marks sells plans for a number of the projects on his shows. I'd assume that all of his designs are copyrighted.
David Marks runs his own private and group woodworking classes along with teaching classes at select Woodcraft store.
I'm surprised Woodcraft allowed the person to bring the table in for fear of a law suit.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

[big snip]
It makes me sad to hear this story. Although I can't count him among those on my Christmas card list, I have met him and it is impossible for me to connect the experience I had with the one you described. Have to be two different people. I'm not arguing that it happened, it just doesn't jibe with mine.
Just for background, a bunch of locals (Central Florida) who are co-conspirators on some of the woodworking fora, were having a picnic get together three or four years ago and it happened to be on a day that Woodcraft had Marks in for some sessions. One of the locals got the bright idea to invite him to join us after the day's sessions were over, and he accepted (actually I think it was Victoria who accepted, but it doesn't matter, they both showed up).
It was just as if he'd been one of the forum regulars, himself. There wasn't a bit of pretense or arrogance. Just a regular guy. I'll bet he stayed there four or five hours. Naturally, he was the most experienced and professional guy there, not to mention celebrated, but we all talked, shared stories, asked him about the show, he passed around some pieces he had brought, but all in exactly the same way we all (well, most) would sit around a fire if we wreckers got together.
As you say, he could have had a bad day, but even at that, it seems so all out of proportion to the guy I sat and talked with all those hours. And one of the other guys and I made a Krenov style plane that afternoon before he arrived which we presented to him after dinner. It had no finish on it, but it was a nice chunk of wood and the iron was made out of an edger blade, but he acted as if Krenov himself had made it for him.
You weren't clear on whether you were actually there or not, but there is one other possibility (if you weren't) and that's that somehow someone got their nose out of joint, and that the real story isn't exactly the way it was told to you. Of course if you were there, I accept that it's an accurate rendition, if not even more puzzling.
Well, I still like the David Marks I met. I probably wouldn't have cared much for the one you described. It's too bad that stories like this get told (true or not). It only takes one aberrant encounter to seriously tarnish an image.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
✖