OT FIRST RUN WOODWORKS

In what way?

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Amen, brother. Some of those harmless little old retirees didn't deserve that treatment. They were the ones that seem to take it the hardest.

And they are so far off Marks' radar, I didn't understand why he couldn't have shown just a bit more decorum, if not consideration.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

And no matter how much better that someone is, it doesn't mean he doesn't have something to learn from you either.

In our guild, you can pick any two random people and be pretty much guaranteed that each has something to teach the other.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

The "want to touch and be touched" by the celebrity phenomenon. Talked of treating the visit as the second coming...just the observation of how people (especially groups) can act in such circumstances.

Reply to
dpb

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: ...

That's what I was thinking -- they were trying to get something out of the visit that was unintended and resulted in unintended consequences (probably) on both sides...

--

Reply to
dpb

That is a sign of folks that are "on the path" to me, realizing that no matter where you are in your skill sets, there is more to the whole picture than can be learned.. There is no end, only more road. That would be a guild I would love to join.

Not always but from time to time I still learn from helpers hire to do something, guys that haven't been doing this for more than a couple of years. You never know.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Amen, brother!

I am not professional woodworker nor have ever been although have done a lot over the years from rough framing to furniture and have used it as means for enhancing income or as second business (altho that's been a long time ago now) and was "good enough" to at least make that work.

My career was as engineer and I worked with and supervised enough who were (or, more generally wanted to be) good enough to be treated as something special. Unilaterally, we did without or they learned (sometimes in painful ways) to treat their colleagues as they would expect.

I didn't intend to condone boorish behavior in my earlier remarks; I was simply wondering if perhaps the recipients didn't bring some of their misery upon themselves by being somewhat boorish in their own treatment of a (albeit paid) guest?

--

Reply to
dpb

Possibly.

But let me be more blunt, at the risk of offending some here. What I saw was a group of older retirees (not recent) that had gathered to see someone they admired and respected. Older guys that have taken up woodworking at the last part of their lives. I see them as harmless older guys some talented, some not so much so, but all doing something rather than to sit and rust out. The folks that were there to see him were meek, and felt it was an honor to see him.

So I'll take your side on this for a minute.

They should not have been so gullible as to think that Marks was anyone other than a manufactured personality that won a contest (watch Swing's video) to get a show. They were stupid to think he was anything like the character in his show, but in reality only a self serving snob that was there making an appearance due to contractual obligation he could not evade.

And too, shame on them for expecting him to be polite and considerate, or at least keep shut. As pointed out in this thread, that seems to be a lot to ask of many these days, and he may not be able to deliver. As my sister the Human Resources expert says, "it may be beyond his current skill set".

The WC folks were not pleased, though. The owner's rep told me that they expected Marks to be there as an ambassador for woodworking, have a little fun, and to shake a few hands an kiss a few babies. Marks cost them business and teaching income. He was paid to do a job, and he didn't do it. Worse, in the end it went the opposite way it was supposed to go.

Still, my comments were on his behavior, not the man. I hope he was just having a bad day.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Probably the one endeavor where it is easy to measure the ability of the participants is commissioned sales.

There is only ONE objective, "Go to the Bank".

Commission statements reveal the pecking order in a hurry.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I didn't see the boorish behavior, and don't think he took their attitude that way. The attitude from him seemed to be that he hadn't seen anything there to impress him, so it was a waste of time.

And in truth, I may be a little sensitive to this kind of behavior. I absolutely f**cking hate snobs, snobbery, and anything that goes with it. Most snobs are like a one note samba, they do one thing well, and that's it. Their whole claim to fame is one thing in their life...

Had I been part of that club, he would have indeed seen boorish behavior if he had fired off on one of my amigos that was too shy to speak up. I can be short tempered, really profane, and extremely confrontational with that type of guy or gal. However, it wasn't my place as I wasn't there except as a guest. I don't belong to the woodworking club, and in the end, sometimes folks get treated as badly as they will allow themselves to be treated.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

"The Guild of New Hampshire Woodworkers is an association of professionals and amateurs bound by a common interest in woodworking. Through regular meetings, lectures, demonstrations, a video library of those demonstrations, juried exhibits, a newsletter ( The Old Saw ) and other activities, the Guild strives to bring together the diverse interests of the New Hampshire woodworking community."

If you're not in the area, though, the only real benefit is the Old Saw magazine - and you can download old issues for free anyway.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Hard to say...ideally it would have gone as you and WC expected. I have no idea as you say about the man behind the image. If the mingling, etc., was an expected part of his appearance and he bungled it; no excuse. Whether he should have been polite and muddled thru even if it wasn't, no argument. I just wondered if perhaps there might have been at least some blame to share; but maybe not...

--

Reply to
dpb

Mime is money!

**
**

B A R R Y

I've been involved in several pursuits that fit that definition exactly.

Woodworking is obvious.

Then there's music and flying. You can never know it all...

**
**

B A R R Y

"Frank Boettcher" wrote

The truly talented/artistic are often difficult at the best of times, regardless of the business they're in.

Add in a bad day "on the road" and it could have just been "one of those days", regretted by all. We all have them.

However, and strictly my opinion you understand, men who dye their hair at

55, and are artists to boot, well ...

... you fill in the blanks. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

?. If he were paid, as I assume he was, that is exactly the expectation that he should have.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Well, I considered it, however, procrastination has resulted in an ever declining need since it has become much harder to gather up something to dye. :)

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Always possible. That's why I didn't tee off on him to begin with. I know even >> I However, and strictly my opinion you understand, men who dye their hair at

Damnit, I was trying to let that go. when I saw that haircut and dye job, he reminded me of this older lady I do a lot of routine maintenance for at her house.

She is in her mid 70s, and dyes here hair such a dark brown it is almost black. I think she believes she has fooled everyone about her real color, but it looks like she has a piece of black carpet draped on her head. Their hair styles and colors are strikingly similar...

LMAO!

Shame on you Karl!

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Tact, brother... TACT.

Reply to
Robatoy

Frank Boettcher wrote: ...

Depends on what he was paid _for_. If it was to be seen and give a demo/talk, that's one thing. If it was for that and he's mobbed w/ some crowd, expected to judge some show, etc., ..., that's something else again.

--

Reply to
dpb