OT - Extreme Makeover Home Edition?

He can't afford ~$300 a month?

Reply to
TBM

As if there is some comparison.

Reply to
todd

I have never even heard of the show outside of here. I watch very little TV but I know what you mean about distorting the public view. There are way to many people that believe that TV represents reality.

Reply to
CW

Sure, I agree with that. Every house built has an open, similar concept. There's always a plasma TV above a fireplace, all the appliances are bought at Sears, everything (in the house anyway) is almost exactly the same except for some personal trimmings. Even the walkway up to the front door is similar as is the facade of the front of every house. It's a cookie cutter installation. Nothing wrong with that I guess only after you've seen the show a few times, it gets boring real quick. Only thing different to see is the reaction of the family during the last ten minutes when they arrive home to see what has been done.

Reply to
Upscale

We don't know that. The old house may have had a low rate mortgage with 20 years paid and a $100 payment. While I'd gladly pay the 4k taxes with no mortgage, but, if you are disabled and have minimal income, it could be difficult. Not to mention doubling of heating or AC, more labor to clean it, etc.

Considering the house he has, the assessment is probably correct and he has no gripe, but we just don't know.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

... as opposed to the person who *does* have a mortgage. Plus plenty of tax and utility costs.

Just because taxes may be rolled into a mortgage payment through an escrow account doesn't mean the homeowner is not paying taxes. (I'm sure that wasn't your point, it's just amazing how many people actually have that viewpoint).

Mark & Juanita

Just like a big income tax refund is something to brag about.

Reply to
Ba r r y

Well, it's not like these people are chosen at random by flipping through the phone book. They are (or should be) fully aware of the parameters before putting their name in for consideration to be on the show. I suppose if it's too much of a burden, they could always sell and use the proceeds to buy a house they can afford.

todd

Reply to
todd

Have you noticed how many people in "dire straights" with no money to repair their little shack, show up on the program with the latest $150.00 hairdos, jewellery, $50.00 manicures and the latest fashion ready to go on their "vacation" while they get a new house built for nothing. Some looked genuine in their need, others look like they are taking the show producers on a scam to get a new house.

EXT

A friend of mine donated RVs to this show through his RV business... supposed to air Mother's Day. The show gave him t-shirts, photos of his family with Ty, autographed photo of the whole crew, etc. I'm curious to see how it comes out on the air!

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

IIRC, there is some sort of a lease deal. The show owns the house and leases it to the new "owners", thus avoiding the tax. I don't know the details, only that is was in the newspaper some time ago.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I'm willing to bet that this "lease arrangement" is also designed to prevent a family who has just been given a new house from immediately selling it off for the money.

Reply to
Upscale

In some cases, they have gone through the neighborhood and distributed needed goods to the neighbors. I would imagine the neighbors get some sort of compensation for the show ruining their lives for a week or more with construction noise 24x7 and the huge crowds.

I liked the show a little better when they were actually remodeling the houses and not creating huge mansions.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

The families should realize when they apply for the show that their property value will go up and thus the taxes will go up. I guess in some cases the family did not nominate themselves. In probably 50% of the cases, the family gets a large check that should cover the taxes for a number of years.

A bigger concern could be the income taxes on the new house. Wouldn't the states and the IRS consider the added value of the new house as income and send the family a large tax bill?

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

Maybe the taxes and utility bills do up, but they probably aren't as high as the former mortgage and taxes combined unless someone had a pretty inexpensive house.

They could tone down the ceiling heights in the houses they build. A 20 foot ceiling is going to cost an arm and a leg to heat/cool.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

Yes, but it makes for good TV

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Knowing the IauRaS, that's probably taxable too.

Reply to
Swingman

Not so with this one local family. They really were pinched with the extra tax bill. Also, any "winnings" they get from the producers of the show, they will have declare as income. Even if the money came as rent - which is what they do to avoid the big problem - all the work they do could be considered income, but signing a rental agreement, that allows for the renter to remodel, allows the family to get that without a tax penalty.

Also, taxes are "forever". Meaning, if they got a check for $100,000, that would only cover taxes for about 10 or 12 years, at best on a million dollar house here in Calif.

MJ Wallace

Reply to
MJ

Brian: