OT - Extreme Makeover Home Edition?

Page 1 of 3

I don't know if you think the same way I do about this reality show?
I work for an architect firm and even the best designer here will take several days before making up his mind and finalize a project as simple as a bathroom remodel. Now we're talking of redesigning a complete house (and not a small one) for a client the designer(s) don't even know in the first place. Just the construction alone of a 300K$ is nearly impossible in a week even if you staff it with 10 000 workers. You reach a point where the number of worker becomes a nuisance and slows down the entire project. Plaster, paint, varnishes and all those products need time to dry too.
I think this TV show lies to the public at least on one aspect: they have work prepared already before showing up at the door of the lucky family. The design and the construction dwgs are already made minus maybe a few details, the prefab house has been ordered already and ready to ship, etc.
What do you guys believe?
Cyberben
snipped-for-privacy@videotron.ca wrote:

1.) It's a TV show.
2.) There's no Easter Bunny.
"2.) There's no Easter Bunny. "
Wha???? <sniff!>

EXACTLY!!! Along with a ton of others. Trading Spouses, Survivor, the list goes on! It's a TV show. But wait, what about Star Trek, or.........
<<Along with a ton of others. Trading Spouses, Survivor, the list goes on! It's a TV show. But wait, what about Star Trek, or......... >>
I can't vouch for the others but clearly, Star Trek is real. How else can you explain how we've been assimilated by the Borg?
Lee

_________________________________
Lee Gordon wrote:

ROAR.. and there are several different species.. HD, L, R..

C D Patterson
snipped-for-privacy@videotron.ca writes:

Anyone would have to be crazy to think they don't have 95% of the project preplanned before they start. You don't get a building permit and line up a contractor and 100s of workers overnight.
I'm sure they interview relatives and friends to find out what the families like beforehand. I'm also certain they have the blueprints drawn beforehand. Thay would have to for permitting and such.
They used to do silly things like claim they have no house and then the next day a prefab house shows up from Canada. No way anyone builds a prefab house overnight, let alone ship it from Canada. I noticed they quit doing this silly stuff.
It is still an interesting TV show. They really ought to do a show that shows how they go from picking a family all the way to the door knock and everything in between that happens before the week of building.
Brian Elfert
Obviously, I don't beleive a single minute that all that bluff is possible. I'm in the business and I just know too well it's impossible.
There are only 2 things that piss me off with this show:
1. It gives a "tangible proof" to the uneducated public that all this crap is possible so you quickly get requests from your customers to hurry up because "they can do it on TV". They want you to design and draw the working dwgs of their dream house in 24 hours.
2. The second biggest problem is when SWMBO watches the show and gives me that disgusted look and says: "Gheeeez, they can build and furnish a house in one week and it takes you months to complete a small piece of furniture".
Cyberben
I have never even heard of the show outside of here. I watch very little TV but I know what you mean about distorting the public view. There are way to many people that believe that TV represents reality.

On 5 May 2006 11:28:07 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@videotron.ca wrote:

Sure, it ain't no extreme makeover, but it didn't take a week either:
"If speed were all that mattered, how fast could you build a home? Some years ago, the Building Industry Association of San Diego County sponsored a competition among builders to answer that question. The home had three bedrooms, two bathrooms, and was made from standard materials.
The fastest time: 2 hours and 45 minutes. How do you build a house in less than 3 hours? By forgetting everything you thought you knew about building a house. The winning team used 700 people divided into subgroups of carpenters, plumbers, electricians, and other tradespeople. For weeks, the teams practiced to find ways to accelerate the process. During the competition, the winners managed to complete the rough plumbing in 8 minutes and set the main roof in just over 9 minutes.
It was fun -- and the experience also generated useful insights. Which is why Professor Tom Malone, of MIT's Sloan School of Management, shows a video of the competition to his students and executive audiences. "I use it to illustrate the power of speed," Malone says. "Not just as a way of satisfying customers but of inventing whole new industries. It helps people free up their minds to think about how to build organizations for the 21st century."
Bill : >
On Fri, 05 May 2006 16:26:02 -0400, carver(remove) snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net wrote:

I wonder how long it really takes Toll Bros. to prefab a luxury home in the factory?
Last year, when they occasionally ran an adjunct program called "Extreme Makeover Home Edition. How'd They Do That?" I thought we were going to get a little more insight into what goes on in the pre-planning stages of the show. That show did focus a bit more on the construction than on the sob story of the family, and we did see some behind-the-scenes stuff like the fact that scenes such as the one where the design team shows up at the front door with the bullhorn often have to be re-shot, but they never really got away from the myth that all of the magic just materializes on day one. They also have not done anything to dispell the myth that so many of the great things that happen on the show are a result of Ty Pennington picking up his cell phone and placing a call to "a friend." One somewhat surprising thing I got from that show, however, is that it would appear that Ty really does take a major role in the design and construction of his "secret project" room.
Unfortunately, "How'd They Do That?" is about as close as we're likely to get to seeing what goes on behind the scenes. Anything more revealing than that (i.e. how many months in advance the preliminary work begins, how they apply for and receive a building permit in a small town without the word getting out, how they arrange for a guy to take a week of vacation without his boss spilling the beans, etc.) would be a little like pulling away the curtain and revealing the true nature of the Wizard of Oz.
Lee

_________________________________
<snip>

I can only imagine that they sign their life away when they "apply" to have their home made over, because having gotten most of the way through a major home addition, my biggest question is how they get a building permit without the city talking to the actual owner.
todd

First thing they should do is shove that bullhorn up Ty's ass. Damn, he can be annoying.
I'm sure many of us would be interested is the actual planning, seeing the Gantt chart that was hanging in one of the trailers, etc. My guess is the basic construction is a variation of existing plans that the company has built many times in the past so they know the steps to be taken. Materials are probably pre-cut and/or pre-fabed when possible. That would allow for practice runs as that model is built 20 times in a development someplace to check the feasibility of having three plumbers in the bathroom at the same time.
Last week the Hartford Courant had an article about the cop in Kansas that got a new house. A year later, it is still "as seen on TV" but he is appealing the $4000 property tax bill. These people end up with no mortgage, but plenty of tax and utility costs.

He can't afford ~$300 a month?

As if there is some comparison.

We don't know that. The old house may have had a low rate mortgage with 20 years paid and a $100 payment. While I'd gladly pay the 4k taxes with no mortgage, but, if you are disabled and have minimal income, it could be difficult. Not to mention doubling of heating or AC, more labor to clean it, etc.
Considering the house he has, the assessment is probably correct and he has no gripe, but we just don't know.

Well, it's not like these people are chosen at random by flipping through the phone book. They are (or should be) fully aware of the parameters before putting their name in for consideration to be on the show. I suppose if it's too much of a burden, they could always sell and use the proceeds to buy a house they can afford.
todd

... as opposed to the person who *does* have a mortgage. Plus plenty of tax and utility costs.
Just because taxes may be rolled into a mortgage payment through an escrow account doesn't mean the homeowner is not paying taxes. (I'm sure that wasn't your point, it's just amazing how many people actually have that viewpoint).
On Sat, 06 May 2006 09:36:41 -0700, Mark & Juanita

Just like a big income tax refund is something to brag about. <G>