-- Mark
Hello there,

That is quite funny.
Thanks,
David.
Thanks Mark, that was a great laugh!

#ebayphotohosting
All I can say is U F R !
On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 20:39:01 -0400, "Bruce Adams"

---------------------------------------------------------- * Michelangelo would have made ** Website Programming * better time with a roller. ** http://diversify.com ----------------------------------------------------------
Bruce Adams wrote:

News servers are dropping posts, even between two of them, so I'm glad I caught the URL in some of the replies.
I laughed my ass off. SWMBO and I are pretty happily married, but if we ever do get divorced, her stupid Barbie dolls are history.
Why the hell does anyone pay $50-100 for a toy that can never, ever be taken out of the box? Why can't our little girl *play* with these damn things?
It's really screwed up. When I met Renee, we both agreed how stupid the whole Barbie phenomenon was. We used to have a good time making fun of Barbie, and of Barbie collectors.
Then she changed the rules. Her mother started collecting them, and got *her* started collecting them. She has all these messed up dolls (heads and arms, mostly) from when she was a kid, and she's trying to make up for that by perfectly preserving these new ones in a hermetically sealed box. She got all wistful for her girlhood and stuff or something.
Thing is, it was the same deal with all my Star Wars stuff. I could sell it for a lot of money if I had never played with it, but I played with it hard, and I used it up. So what? I'm not trying to compensate for that by buying new Star Wars stuff and keeping it hermetically sealed.
I did actually buy some Star Wars stuff. I went through a little bit of that wistful yearing for simpler times myself, but the difference is that when he was old enough to take an interest, I gave it all to my son. To *play* with. Even a vintage X-Wing in like-new condition. What the hell, they're TOYS!!
The best "beanie baby" in the world is a little brown dog-shaped thing named Sugar. My daughter carries it around all the time. That's worth more than any of those stupid little untouchable collectibles.
On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 09:08:56 -0400, Silvan

While some people certainly do go overboard with it, adult collectors of toys and memorabilia are very particular about their purchase and are willing to put money into quality items.
My wife, quite a few years ago, worked in a toy store and picked up a lot of discontinued toys, still in original box, out of the bargain bin for about $1 each. Go forward a couple years and we sold those toys on eBay for over $1000 each, just because nobody had thought they might be worth anything in the future. I wish we had known and bought up a lot more toys, we'd be rich today.
Brian Henderson wrote:

All true, but OTOH everybody knows that stuff might have value some day, so the chances that anything ever will are much diminished. Anything new, I mean. That ship has sailed already, and if you didn't stick your stuff in the closet 20 years ago, all you can do is sigh.
Everybody I know stashes everything they buy in the closet in case it's worth $1,000 some day. Maybe I'm the smart one. Maybe 20 years from now the prime thing to buy will be toys that have actually been touched by the hands of a child. :)
On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 02:29:55 -0500, Silvan

That's not necessarily true. Even new toys can go for ridiculous amounts. Remember the Tickle Me Elmos? There have been a couple examples in the last couple years where toys that were produced in low numbers went for ridiculous amounts of money while they were still in production.
Further, there will always be people who want to relive their youth and will be looking for toys that they had when they were younger. Even with today's higher production numbers and more people collecting, in 20 years, who knows what will still exist? There are Star Wars action figures that are ridiculously expensive today, even the ones that were only released a few years ago, simply because the supply cannot keep up with the demand.
On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 04:46:15 GMT, Brian Henderson

OK, here's a gloat. As a kid ('70s), I bought a Muffin the Mule puppet at a school Bring & Buy sale for about 20p, thinking that one day someone would pay decent money for it.
Couple of months back, I eBayed it for nearly 500
On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 00:46:12 +0000, Andy Dingley

Not bad, 29.8% annual rate of return on your investment, compared to a 7.5% average annual inflation rate in the UK from 1973 to 2002. 20.7% real annual return on your investment. Not bad at all. :-)
Luigi Replace "no" with "yk" twice in reply address for real email address
No more SWMBO for him! At least he's got tools. 8->
Thanks much! Jon Veeneman