OT: Even prettier than the Jaguar I posted recently.

I just love these things. When I grow up, I want one.

Robatoy

Robatoy wrote in news:a24b3d8a-cd5c-4095-b290- snipped-for-privacy@e21g2000yqe.googlegroups.com:

Do you want them to give you the ammunition that usually goes with it too? And what will you be doing then?

Hou het leuk hoor!!

Reply to
Han

krw

aircraft I wonder where the fuel is stored? Big engines, small plane. Is it spring yet up your way? WW

Reply to
WW

Robatoy wrote the following:

Not prettier, but ugly enough to be feared.

Replacement The A-10 is scheduled to be in service with the USAF until 2028 and possibly later, when it may be replaced by the F-35 Lightning II. ^ Critics have responded by saying that replacing the A-10 with the F-35 would be a "giant leap backwards" given the performance of the Warthog and the rising costs of the F-35 program. I agree.^

Reply to
willshak

According to a buddy the 4 tanks are in the fuselage between the cockpit and the engines. There's better protection there from enemy fire. Art

Reply to
Artemus

F-35 is a different kind of airplane. It won't replace the A-10 any more than the B-2 has replaced the B-52.

I suspect that the argument is that smart bombs render low and low obsolete.

Reply to
J. Clarke

The engines are large diameter because they're high-bypass turbofans intended for fuel efficiency at the low speeds at which the A-10 flies, not because they produce a huge amount of power.

Reply to
J. Clarke

the armament! What fun, fun toy a GAU-8/A gat would be to play with. Wanna go out plinking cans?

She's not supersonic, but 381knots is respectable, with a 300knot cruise and a 120 stall. Just right for cruising the countryside or overseeing the banana plantation, right?

-- It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctively native American criminal class except Congress. -- Mark Twain

Reply to
Larry Jaques

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0-- Mark Twain

It is all about armament and armour....... and loiter time. Plinking tanks....

Reply to
Robatoy

 -- Mark Twain

Two points if you let the magic smoke out of them. Two more if you light the sparklers inside.

-- It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctively native American criminal class except Congress. -- Mark Twain

Reply to
Larry Jaques

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0-- Mark Twain

Five bonus points if the poppety-boom lifts the turret off.

Reply to
Robatoy

They have nothing like the loiter time of a B52 and a B52 with a load of JDAMs is pretty good a plinking off tanks. ...and from a lot safer distance.

Reply to
krw

Wikipedia says the drum holds 1174 rounds, and that the canon fires at

3900 rounds per minute.

So that's ~20 secs of firing, then back to hte base for more bullets?

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

It's an airplane designed to shoot at ground targets. It doesn't sit there in a fixed position hammering away, it makes a pass, fires a burst when the target is in the sights, turns around, comes back, fires another burst. That's enough ammunition for 10-20 passes at the target.

Also remember that the gun is not the only armament. There are 11 hard points for up to 16,000 pounds of other ordnance. By the time all that's expended the pilot's had a long day in the saddle.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Right, but bursts are 1/3 of a second at a time. They can take out sixty groups of perps or sixty vehicles before returning to base.

-- The great thing about getting older is that you don't lose all the other ages you've been. -- Madeleine L'Engle

Reply to
Larry Jaques

If they let go of all the ammo from the cannon in one shot, the engines can choke on the gasses it produces causing a stall and crash. That has in fact happened.

Reply to
Robatoy

The output from those gats is absolutely devastating on the other end, too.

-- The great thing about getting older is that you don't lose all the other ages you've been. -- Madeleine L'Engle

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Bing Crosy, Bob Hope and Dorothy Lamour never did get to make Road To Basra.

Reply to
Robatoy

Are those 3 still alive? I'm not looking forward to Road To Kabul, Road To Karachi, Road To Palmyra, or Another Road To Tripoli, either.

-- Doubt 'til thou canst doubt no more...doubt is thought and thought is life. Systems which end doubt are devices for drugging thought. -- Albert Guerard

Reply to
Larry Jaques