OT: Epiphany

Page 2 of 2
Is that when you exclaimed "Poop!" and "Darn!" ?
SonomaProducts.com wrote:

Maybe it's time to tell my TR3 story. Suffice it to say I was the third passenger, sitting on the trunk with my legs down in the passenger seating area, when we hit the curb I was airborne, flipped and stuck the landing
9.0 !
Dave in Houston
Robatoy wrote:

on your feet because the battery acid has eaten through it's rack.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA
Robatoy wrote:

Well, to each their own I guess. I used to have a '56 Austin-Healy 100/6...I never again want to deal with side curtains, stow in the trunk tops or wire spoke wheels. I liked the electric overdrive though.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

transmission. After replacing the solenoid which engaged it twice, I just punched a hole in the hump and attached a piece of haywire with a loop on the end. It worked fine but was not the same as having a toggle switch.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA
dadiOH wrote:

The stow in the trunk top on my Corvette wasn't too bad, except for having to pull four bolts to remove it.

Like I'd want to have to live with Lucas electrics again! I learned my [very expensive] lesson when at the tender [and naive] age of 19 I bought a 5-year old '64 TR4A, complete with wire wheels and 65k miles or so. The very first day I discovered there were loose teeth floating around in the rear end. When one would catch in the ring and pinion it would lock up the rear end which would invite the right rear wire wheel to spin itself off the drum. I watched it go rolling through a shallow roadside ditch and jump the barbed wire fence. Probably rolled another hundred yards or so. I was able to put it back on the car and I did make it home w/o further incident. That was the first trip to the salvage yard and the seller agreed to cut and move the axle saddles to fit. The rear axle continued to "rock" some for the remainder of it's life with me. Down the road I managed to break the crank it that POS - right over the front main. It continued to run but sounded like a tank. Another trip to the salvage yard. IIRC the junkyard crank cost me $65 which seemed like a lot in 1970. That rebuild also required a salvaged block ("Gee, I've never seen a block warp like this.") and a J.C.Whitney catalogue. I also learned that the mid-main would bolt on either way you placed it but that the crank it would only spin if it was on the correct way. Who would have guessed? Before I unloaded it towards the end of 1971 I managed to burn it up, cracking the head in the process. The temp gauge had long since quit and when the thermostat gasket gave way . . . well, I WAS late for work that morning. When I pulled into the parking lot after five or six miles on I-10 at 70+ mph the blue smoke poured up through the transmission tunnel. All that was after the broken crankshaft rebuild. I learned the hard way what polarizing (?) the voltage regulator meant - it meant buying one twice. Took $150 for it but still owed the credit union several hundreds of dollars for the repair loans. Good riddance. Took me more than year to finish off the loans. In early 1972 I bought my first new car, a '72 Celica and moved on. No more British cars for me. Did I mention the body rust on The Triumph?
Dave in Houston
"Dave in Houston" wrote:

There was a young man from Boston, Who bought himself a new Austin, Had room for his ass and a gallon of gas, The rest hung out and he lost them.
Lew

Then there was, "Ass, gas, or grass; nobody rides for free."
Dave in Houston
Dave in Houston wrote:

I'm wit' ya there. 1988 Sterling, bought new. When I sold it 4 years later, it had a stack of repair orders over 1" thick.

In

That sound about like your basic Jag from that time.
I had a 64 AH with wires and side curtains. Liked it so much I got a 65. Should have kept them. Just saw a late 65 go for some 60k. P D Q

SWMBO and I nearly bought an '86 Sterling -- but after some of the things I've read, man oh man oh man am I ever glad the dealer was holding out for list price and wouldn't negotiate....
Doug Miller wrote:

Pretty much guaranteed you dodged a bullet.
When we bought ours, the deal was exactly the opposite, the dealer was offering what appeared to be a great deal on them. Should have known we were in for trouble when I had to take the car back the following Monday because one of the turn indicators wasn't working (missing bulb) and a couple other nitnoid things were wrong with a brand new car.

List price for a Sterling? He may still have it on the lot.

<g>
Since we were shopping in mid/late '86, it might have been an '87 model we were looking at -- in any event, I'm almost sure that it was the first year they were sold in the U.S., so the dealer apparently thought he could get list price for it. Perhaps he could; perhaps he did -- but not from me. :-)
Robatoy wrote:

Know what you mean. I often hum a tune for similar reasons. The words go something like:
Over there, over there, Send the word, send the word over there - That the Yanks are coming, The Yanks are coming, The drums rum-tumming Ev'rywhere.
So prepare, say a pray'r, Send the word, send the word to beware. We'll be over, we're coming over, And we won't come back till it's over Over there.
On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 10:17:00 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

I guess that offer came just in time. You're going to need all your spare time to keep that Triumph going.;-)
Mike O.
On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 10:17:00 -0700, Robatoy wrote:

Every time I visit the local Triumph dealer, I salivate like Pavlov's dogs. OK, some of the new stuff is a bit radical for my taste, but the Thunderbird/Bonnieville look alikes are almost as they used to be. Even got a scrambler model.
Guess I'll have to wait till my wife wins the lottery - in the meantime I'm still loving my old '78 SR500 thumper. I've had it since '83!

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 10:17:00 -0700, Robatoy wrote:

Oops! I forgot Triumph built cars too :-).