OT: Epiphany

Page 1 of 2
I think I had one of those. One definition of epiphany states: "3.    a sudden, intuitive perception of or insight into the reality or essential meaning of something, usually initiated by some simple, homely, or commonplace occurrence or experience."
On my way back from a client, I took a short-cut through farmland. Incredible green all over. We had a lot of rain lately and trees and shrubs and grass are just huge blobs of luscious green. A farmer was in his tractor, chatting on a cell-phone as he was dragging a wedding veil of seagulls behind his plow. Sun was out, warm, not too humid, a sudden regret for selling my last rag-top and motorcycle so long ago.
I pulled over to enjoy that moment.
At exactly that time my phone rang and the voice on the other end made me an offer for my countertop business. After I put down my cell, I turned the radio back up (XM "the Bridge # 27 here in Canuckistan)
"Sun's up, uh huh, looks okay The world survives into another day And I'm thinking about eternity Some kind of ecstasy got a hold on me
I had another dream about lions at the door They weren't half as frightening as they were before But I'm thinking about eternity Some kind of ecstasy got a hold on me
Walls windows trees, waves coming through You be in me and I'll be in you Together in eternity Some kind of ecstasy got a hold on me
Up among the firs where it smells so sweet Or down in the valley where the river used to be I got my mind on eternity Some kind of ecstasy got a hold on me
And I'm wondering where the lions are... I'm wondering where the lions are...
Huge orange flying boat rises off a lake Thousand-year-old petroglyphs doing a double take Pointing a finger at eternity I'm sitting in the middle of this ecstasy
Young men marching, helmets shining in the sun, Polished as precise like the brain behind the gun (Should be!) they got me thinking about eternity Some kind of ecstasy got a hold on me
And I'm wondering where the lions are... I'm wondering where the lions are...
Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay One of these days we're going to sail away, going to sail into eternity some kind of ecstasy got a hold on me
And I'm wondering where the lions are... I'm wondering where the lions are...
------------ a very slow drive home.... I want another old Triumph TR3..wait.. I NEED one...
Add pictures here
βœ–
Robatoy wrote:

Bruce Cockburn, eh? Does this mean you're gonna do it? Does this mean that all your toys will be sold, eh? What will you do then, eh?     eh?     jo4hn
p.s. sounds neat if the price is right.
Add pictures here
βœ–

That CNC isn't going anywhere. That is one reason I'm even considering it—to spend more time with it. Besides, those countertops are getting heavier by the day. I might forge a deal which would include my participation on the front- end. Like sales and estimates....maybe weasel a bit of profit sharing. I would like to keep access to my toys*COUGHS*tools. I would also have to do some training because there quite a bit more to fabricating solid surface than Lee Michaels seems to think. <G>
Add pictures here
βœ–
"Robatoy" wrote
I would also have to do some training because there quite a bit more to fabricating solid surface than Lee Michaels seems to think. <G>
===================================== Hey, hey there. I resemble that remark! You know I was just a funnin' ya. But I never thought there was no skills involved. In fact you are somebody on this forum that has some real skills.
I was just givin ya some shit about how FAKE the materials are. Not that this is a bad thing in many cases. Particularly if you end up with a solid surface that does the job it is intended for.
I am just wonderin' how well you would take to retirement. And I definitely don't see you giving up your CNC machine. There is a serious relationship there.
I assume that you can continue to work with the sign makers. Maybe you can build some of those fancy doll houses! ==
Add pictures here
βœ–

Hell Yes, I knew that. So was I.

No black magic. It is a skill that is relatively easy to acquire. Common sense and a healthy respect for safety.

Fortunately for me and the guys that work with me, the cheques those countertops generate aren't fake. *s*

It's love. There, I said it. I got that puppy humming opera.

One of the guys I read at a forum, makes little victorian screen doors, gingerbread trim and other 1:12 scale doll-house parts. He gets some awesome detail...and sales are good.
Today I used my CNC as a jointer. A slab of walnut, 15" x 24" x 1 7/8" . Put it on the table and zig-zagged a 1" bit all over it until I had one very flat side. I then buzzed it through my planer. I can, in fact do glued-up tabletops up to 50 x 100".... a nice feature, I think.
Add pictures here
βœ–
"Robatoy" wrote
One of the guys I read at a forum, makes little victorian screen doors, gingerbread trim and other 1:12 scale doll-house parts. He gets some awesome detail...and sales are good.
=========================== I went to a sewing expo with my wife one year and saw a guy who makes doll display cases. It turns out the many people collect dolls and have no way to display them. They need to keep the dust off and keep them out of the sun. And, of course, they want to show the dolls off.
I couldn't believe the prices he was charging. And he was taking all kinds of special orders too. The cases are mostly glass, some hardware and thin wood strips to hold it all together. I took some measurements and went home and did some figurin'. He was charging about six to seven times cost of materials that I could get quickly and locally. And I am sure he is getting better prices on his materials than me too. So his markup is even higher.
It is obviously a niche market. But those doll collecters spend big money on their hobby/obsession. And lack of display cases is a common complaint among these folks.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Robatoy wrote:

How about a cherry, one owner 73' Fiat 124 Spyder? Complete with parts car (sans front clip).
--

dadiOH
____________________________

As a former multiple 70s Fiat owner, I need to ask whether the mechanic is included?
Fiat: "Failed Italian Attempt at Transportation" or "Fix It Again Today".
:-)
L.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Many years ago, there was a skit on Saturday Night Live in which two men were arguing, each asserting that he himself was stupider than the other: "I'm so dumb, I did X". "Oh, yeah? Well, I'm so dumb, I did Y!" for several iterations. Then -- "*I* bought a FIAT." [end of argument]
Add pictures here
βœ–
Doug Miller wrote:

I once owned a Fiat 500. Drove it all over Sicily. It looked like a miniature beetle, had two cylinders. It would actually run on one cylinder but not very much power.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA
Gerald Ross wrote:

I used to have an X1/9, which was a very nice car except that the heater wasn't up to a New England winter. Some asshole stole it though and when it was recovered there wasn't enough left to be worth trying to rebuild.
Add pictures here
βœ–

I used to have an X-1/9 also -- lots of fun to drive, but what a PITA to repair. Mine was a '78. What year was yours?
One day, I was unloading mine after a trip to the grocery. Had both trunks open (for those who don't know, the X-1/9 is a mid-engine car, with a large luggage compartment in the nose, and a much smaller one behind the engine). One of the neighborhood kids (about 7 yrs old) wandered over, curious. Peered in the front trunk. Then the back trunk. Looked up at me, puzzled. "Does this car have an engine??"
Add pictures here
βœ–
Gerald Ross wrote:

Not being a car junkie, must say I have had the best of all worlds.
1) Living in SoCal where the car is king and a rag top makes sense to own and operate.
2) A SO who owned a nice shiny bright red Toyota convertible and let me drive it with the top down on special occasions, like almost every time I got to drive it.
Lew
Add pictures here
βœ–

They're Baaaaack......
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/112_0807_fiat_500_abarth_first_drive/index.html
Add pictures here
βœ–
Gerald Ross wrote:
... snip

That's why it had two -- you at least had a chance that one of them would actually work.

βœ–
On Jul 30, 1:56 pm, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

I am buying a Fiat Ram 2006 2500 SLT (3/4 ton) 4X4 with a Cummings diesel. Some of us never learn. :-)
Luigi
Add pictures here
βœ–
"Luigi Zanasi" wrote:

I assume the above is a typo.
Think you mean Cummins, based in Columbus, IN; however, based on the size, it's probably coming out of Rocky Mount, NC, a joint venture to produce small diesels between Cummins and Case (J I Case) to compete with Deere and the off shore stuff in the construction equipment market.
Lew
Add pictures here
βœ–
Luigi Zanasi wrote:

I had very few mechanical problems with the car and it was my sole mode of transportation for almost 30 years.
I did have considerable trouble with so-called professional mechanics screwing stuff up, no idea why, it is a very simple car mechanically. For example...
I was on a trip, long (150 mile) detour in Georgia, heavy traffic and slow going, car stopped running. The local mechanic decided the mechanical fuel pump needed to be replaced with an electrical one. That didn't fix it - the distributor was the problem - but I still wound up with the new fuel pump.
Months later I was driving along, top closed, and the compartment fills with smoke. Turns out the fuel pump "mechanic" had routed the wire to the fuel pump so that it wasn't secured and ultimately fell onto the manifold where the insulation immediately burned off shorting the wire and burning out most of the rest of the wiring. Cost 100s to rewire. The Georgia mechanic screwed up the distributor repair too.
--

dadiOH

till 1957(?) Like this one:
http://www.triumph-tr3.nl/longdoor.jpg
Add pictures here
βœ–
Maybe it's time to tell my TR3 story. Suffice it to say I was the third passenger, sitting on the trunk with my legs down in the passenger seating area, when we hit the curb I was airborne, flipped and stuck the landing

Add pictures here
βœ–