OT Ephedra to be banned

Page 3 of 4
David P wrote:

<ROTFL>
-- Mark
Mark Jerde wrote:

Me too. New from RJR, Camel Complete, with all the vitamins, tar, and nicotine a growing boy needs from A to Z.
Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:
snip

i smoked a bowl of flintstones chewables once...harsh man,,i think i'll stick to winstons
My point is the government is banning the USE (smoke, chew, lick, eat, swallow, stick in rectum, it doesn't matter) of a PLANT when another PLANT (tobacco) does more harm to people.
Think...

A lot of the dangers are in the method of delivery, not necessarily the plant itself. Try sticking a cactus in your rectum...I'll bet that would make a cactus more dangerous than tobacco. :)

(snip) A lot of the dangers are in the method of delivery, not necessarily the plant itself.
Sure dangers be exacerbated by changing the route of administration. If you are implying that Tobacco is only dangerous when smoked you are mistaken. Tobacco dip causes moth cancer. Tobacco snuff throat cancer. How else is tobacco administered? Is there a route of administration for tobacco that I am unaware of that doesn't cause cancer?
They are banning ephedra and not giving us the choice of route of administration. They are simply telling us "this stuff is bad for you, it kills people, you can no longer use it". If they can do that for ephedra (another plant, just like tobacco) why can't they do that for tobacco?
It's one sided.
Your NOT thinking David.

Haven't you been reading the news in the last few years? EVERYTHING causes cancer. Soon the government is going to ban food and sunlight...we better stop them NOW with this Ephedra thing if we ever want to eat or get a tan again. Then what...WOOD...*gulp*...that's when I cross over to the Dark Side.

Others have answered this for you. Big business and money ensures tobacco's survival.

David P states:

Check it out. The ONLY cause of death is conception. What is the government doing to help prevent that?
Charlie Self "If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to. " Dorothy Parker
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme says...

That's what's being substituted for civics courses, kids don't know what the Speaker of the House does, or what the Supreme Court does, but they can put a condom on a cucumber in 2 seconds flat.
Mark & Juanita writes:

Jeez, I hope that's as far as the hands on training goes!
Charlie Self "If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to. " Dorothy Parker
(snip)

Ok dave, you can pull that cactus out of your rectum now. I thought we were having a discussion?
(snip)

I read what others have posted, I agree it has to do with money. You were trying to explain it by discussing "methods of delivery" ?? Remember what you wrote? (method of delivery, not necessarily the plant itself). Do you really believe that? Hold on, I know what your answer is gonna be judging from your unintelligible responses such as:"Go roll up some Ephedra in a papers, smoke 10 or more of them a day," or my favorite: "Try sticking a cactus in your rectum"
You also said I wasn't making a "proper comparison". I and others say YOUR WRONG. Its an excellent comparison. Read what others have said: http://www.articleresearch.com/article-archives/000011.html
Think David.

Relax, stoutman. Just because someone is not convinced by your ravings to join in your beliefs is no reason to get upset. I'm glad you liked my responses and hopefully you found a little humor in them as well. Flattery will get you everywhere, my dear. Cheers!

I need to Relax?
I'm Fanatical?
I am all this because you don't understand and your confused.
Cheers right back at ya! :)

No and no.
Stop and think. The _least_ profit goes to the manufacturer. Distribution takes more than he, and those who tax it at all levels make the most money. That's the real profit, and what you preach is moonshine.
Which, by the way, produces more money per unit for the government than the "big companies," as does gasoline....

Apparently I am not the only one who has thought about the one sided ban of ephedra and not tobacco.
Do a google search using keywords: Tobacco and Ephedra.
here are a couple I found. Some people explain this ridiculous situation better than I do.
goto: Here is an FDA link. Read the whole thing: http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/dailys/03/Mar03/032403/95N-0304-EC-386.htm
Here is another:
http://www.mccmedia.com/pipermail/brin-l/Week-of-Mon-20030310/014299.html
I am NOT alone in this argument in using TOBACCO as a comparison.

Here is another good link:
http://www.articleresearch.com/article-archives/000011.html

shop and said. . .:

alcohol and its related actions kill more than that,,, we tried prohibition once, it don't work! and it don't work now for the "drug" problem! and it wont work for this either.
take a childs toy away, and the child thinks about nothing but the lost toy,,,,
Traves

neither in moderation
snip

I do not think that the FDA had anything to do with the banning of marijuana.
But if they did, I'd like to know how you know.
--

FF

snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net (Fred the Red Shirt) writes:

Shhhh!

Nonsense -- cigarettes are a delivery system for nicotine which is unquestionably a drug.

It already is a drug, and the FDA has had for many years the legal authority to regulate it.

More nonsense. Marijuana and alcohol have been around a lot longer than drug laws have existed, too, but we regulate them.
It comes down to one thing, and one thing only: money. State and Federal governments make a shipload of money from taxes on tobacco. Since smokers generally die early, they don't collect Social Security for as long as nonsmokers do, which saves the Federal Gummint another shipload. Last but not least, the tobacco industry contributes yet another shipload to the politicians that continue to protect their existence.