OT Ephedra to be banned

Page 2 of 4
The source of Ephedra (ephedrine) is herbal (Mau Haung). The diet companies are using Mau Haung in their diet products as the source of ephedra. They are banning Mau Haung (the herb) which contains ephedra.
Mau Haung (ephedra) has not been regulated to date because it is listed as a food supplement.
(snip) >Ephedra is a drug, tobacco is not
Mau Haung is just like tobacco in the since that they are both all natural and plant/herbal.
(snip) >but since tobacco has been around prior to the drug laws
Mau Haung has also been used before drug laws.

(snip) >but since tobacco has been around prior to the drug laws
The Chinese were using ephedra (Mau Haung) 5000 years ago!

prior
enacted
They make crank out of that shit. Glad it's being banned myself.

tobacco
(snip) > They make crank out of that shit. Glad it's being banned myself.
Wrong.
Crack is cocaine based. However ephedrine can and is used to make methamphetamine and methcathinone. This could be the underlying reason that it is being banned and the health issue is a smoke screen.
I don't use ephedrine, but banning ephedrine (I think its the first dietary supplement to be banned) could create a slippery slope. More will be banned.

Ahh, crank is methamphetamine. Didn't know that. sorry. I thought you meant crack.
Your right. :)

around

Ephedrine is not being banned, ephedra is. You can still buy ephedrine OTC.
I meant ephedra not ephedrine. From my previous posts in this thread you might have come to the conclusion that I meant ephedra. I get the two mixed up because the active constituents in ephedra are pseudoephedrine and ephedrine.
writes:

reason
dietary
stoutman responds:

Wrong. Crack is coke based. Crank is methamphetamine.
Charlie Self "If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to. " Dorothy Parker
(snip) > Crank is methamphetamine
Didn't I correct my self on this? Look at my post above.
Oh, and cocaine = coke

gave
stoutman responds:

Uh, yeah, but I tend to read and respond to these things in order, not ass-end first.
Charlie Self "If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to. " Dorothy Parker
shop and said. . .:
snip

snip
yup,,,right you are!
HOWEVER!
the drug in question and the one being "banned" is not pure, or "real" ephedra...its actually synthesized, and its called "pseudoephedrine"
The one being banned is the herb, ephedra also called Mau Haung.
(snip) >its actually synthesized, and its called "pseudoephedrine"
Your right, pseudoephedrine is synthesized, it's also a natural constituent in ephedra (Mau Haung), along with ephedrine. And Yes it is ephedra (Mau Haung) that is being banned. Read the news or watch CNN.
pseudoephedrine is sinply the threo racemate of ephedrine and it is not being banned. Its also called pseuophed (decongestant).
"Traves W. Coppock" <newsgroups-AT-farmvalleywoodworks-DOT-com> wrote in message Crawled out of the

shop and said. . .: snip

snip
CNN? no thanks...dont like my news spoon fed to me
hehe
on the other note, seems when i have time i'll need to do a bit more reading on this subject..
You might want to consider it since you think pseudoephedrine is fake ephedrine. he he.
"Traves W. Coppock" <newsgroups-AT-farmvalleywoodworks-DOT-com> wrote in message Crawled out of the

constituent

Ephedrine is a drug. Ephedra is not.
Ephedra is being banned for the same reason marijuana is - the FDA has determined (rightly or wrongly) that the dangers of the item exceed the benefits of the item, and that the general public is unable to reliably avoid the dangers.
Hmmmmm,
Lets consider these two plants, Tobacco and Mau Haung (Ephedra).
MauHaung (Ephedra) has reportedly killed 15 people in since its reported use by the diet industry. Tobacco kills 400,000 people per year.
Which plant is more dangerous Tobacco or Mau Haung (Ephedra) ?
I think I would pop a few ephedra every day before I puffed back a carton of marlboros.
I would like to politely ask you to 'Wake up and smell the coffee'. The first couple of responders hit the nail on the head. It all comes down to money $$$. :)
It amuses me when the law makers tell me I can't take an herbal diet supplement then they retreat to their plush office and lite up a lucky.
Do you really think ephedra (remember, its a plant just like tobacco) is more dangerous than tobacco? It's not. Tobacco is much much worse. Plus tobacco use is killing us nonsmokers.
I think this is just one more reason to move to Canada. :)
writes:

That was 155 deaths for ephedra not 15. Sorry. Typo.

No, let's not. I said nothing about whether the FDA was doing the right thing or not, just noting how the FDA claims jurisdiction over such items, and how that jurisdiction works. And also correcting the mistake that "ephedra is a drug", which it isn't.

Assuming, of course, that I agree with the FDA, which I do not. Hence the "rightly or wrongly" comment. Since your entire post seems to be based on your assumptions about my beliefs, which turn out to be bad assumptions, your whole post becomes moot in this context.
And I can't stand the smell of coffee.
of the shop and said. . .:

hell lets ban that too,.. it burns people in drivethroughs, makes you crave more, and tastes silly with cream and sugar,,,come to think of it, lets ban that too!,,, cream and sugar kills thousands every year because people are using it to supply their obesity habits.
what ever happened to personal responsibility?!!?!?
I don't think you are making a proper comparison since your references to tobacco seem to be more targeted to the act of smoking. Go roll up some Ephedra in a papers, smoke 10 or more of them a day, and see how long you live. Smoking anything, not just tobacco, is bad for you.
As an alternate comparison, popping a few small tobacco pills every day my be safer than popping a few ephedra pills a day. I don't really know. The point is you are comparing smoking to herbal supplements that are generally taken orally. I can't remember the last time I smoked my vitamins although that might not be a bad idea. ;)

use
of