OT: Engineers, geologists, and the Mars rover Curiosity

Page 1 of 2
I want to thank all you engineers for building such a cool gizmo so we geologists can cruise around Mars and conduct some real science.
Good job!
-Zz "Zz Yzx" rhymes with "physics"; or " Isaacs" if you prefer. http://www.abandonedbutnotforgotten.com/zzyzx_road.htm

SEE?!?! Results already:
http://www.theonion.com/articles/nasa-now-almost-positive-mars-is-rocky,29069/?ref=auto
Zz Yzx wrote:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/nasa-now-almost-positive-mars-is-rocky,29069/?ref=auto They may even find out it is "reddish"... and ... round.
...The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Psalm 19:1
Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them. [20] For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: Romans 1:19-20
"Michael Joel" wrote in message
Zz Yzx wrote:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/nasa-now-almost-positive-mars-is-rocky,29069/?ref=auto They may even find out it is "reddish"... and ... round.
...The heavens declare the glory of God =============================================================================== Now how many people do you think plonked you due to your uncalled for spewing of religious garbage?
snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.et says...

Well, anybody who plonked him for that particular "religioius garbage" would have plonked the crew of Apollo 8.
I'm sorry, I don't believe in any of it, but some of it is pretty damned good poetry and people who get angry at the recitation of said poetry I find to be exceedingly annoying.

I am a major believer in separation of church and state. But that reading, on Christmas eve, circling the moon, was perfect. Even if my tax dollars were paying for it. -- Doug
snipped-for-privacy@classtech.com says...

I think we've gone way too far. The Constitution says "Congress shall make no law", not "no government employee shall mention". By the way, NASA got sued over that one. They won but they also forbade the astronauts from any further mention during a mission.

wasn't taken away from the states.

The Supreme Court ruled in 1947 in Everson v. Board of Education that it does apply to the states.
"Neither a state nor the federal government can set up a religion. Neither can pass laws which aid one religion, aid all religions, or prefer one religion over another. Neither can they force...a person to go to or to remain away from church against his will, or force him to profess a belief or disbelief in any religion."
-- Doug
On 8/8/12 1:26 PM, Douglas Johnson wrote:

None of which forbids a person from exercising free expression of his religious beliefs while in any official capacity as a government employee. But they'll sure try to stop you from doing so.
--

-MIKE-

snipped-for-privacy@classtech.com says...

Which the founders would have looked on with horror seeing as to how the primary reason for the establishment clause was to ensure those states that had state religions that the Federal government would not interfere with those state religions.

They found it the due process clause of the 14th amendment. I very glad they did. Government intrusion into a matter as personal as religious beliefs is a particularly egregious form of government intrusion. Federal, state, or local.

The founding fathers had many inclinations. Each of the 55 delegates to the Federal Convention had their own inclinations. Each of the members of the state legislators that ratified it had theirs. You don't have to read very far in history to realize they often disagreed.
I'll agree completely they had no political ability to impose the establishment clause on the states. But they did put some controls on the states. The commerce, full faith and credit, and supremacy clauses come to mind.
-- Doug

Due process. What a laugh. I'm sure a hater like you does think it's a good idea to limit religious freedom.

The fact is that they agreed on the First. They would *NOT* have, if it took away a power the states had already claimed.

Irrelevant.

What's funny? The original intent of the 14th amendment author, Ohio Representative John Bingham was to extend the Bill of Rights to the states. It was passed with that intent . It took the Supremes a long time to get around to applying it.

Name calling? Do you have any better points to make than that?
Everything I've said is in favor of religious freedom. Unless you define religious freedom as state sponsored/imposed religion.
-- Doug
snipped-for-privacy@classtech.com says...

I don't consider forbidding schoolteachers to discuss religion with students to be either state sponsored/imposed religion or relgious freedom.
Note that I am an atheist.
On 8/9/2012 11:25 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

Ok, that's YOUR religion.
Why force it on innocent kids?
On 8/7/12 10:36 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

Which is funny, because later decisions ruled that federal employees (astronauts) don't lose their constitutional rights to free speech nor free exercise of religion when they walk through the doors of the workplace... or in this instance, space capsule.
Bottom line, the forefathers wanted us to have freedom "of" religion, not freedom *from* it.
--

-MIKE-

On 8/7/12 4:21 PM, CW wrote:

You're so tolerant.
--

-MIKE-

On Tue, 7 Aug 2012 13:13:43 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

...or too young?
On 8/7/12 12:13 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

Perhaps it's just hyperbole. Like when you're watching a good baseball game and the announcer says, "Now, that's some real pitching."
--

-MIKE-