OT: Email Virus

Page 2 of 2

consider yourself lucky. I'm getting about 5 per *MINUTE*.
Latest variety is running wild. About 200/day here since Thursday, half from "Microsoft" with the "latest patch" as an attachment (keep in mind that MS NEVER EVER communicates patches in this manner, only through automatic update if you turn it on). The other half are "bounce" messages that I understand are created at the same time as the first half and have a nasty "hidden" payload (no little paperclip symbol on these). Advice is to delete all without opening and empty your deleted items folder, then just ride it out. It isn't Spam so no sense in reporting as such although I'm guessing the Spam community has somehow infected itself, hence the E-mails coming from all over the globe from people you have never heard of.
With luck the authorities will catch a few more of these people of questionable parentage and then perhaps we'll get a few more push-stick ideas.

...should add that it isn't unique to this NG. It does have a feature that tries to breed in that manner but that seems to be the last resort. From what I read, you will know it if you get it (install messages and the like) so the mass attack on your in-box has nothing to do with your computer.

Kennor wrote:

Yes, they do. I've experimented with new e-mail addresses when I post to newsgroups. It takes about 72 hours to start getting spam on a new address. If you don't want spam, NEVER use your REAL address (unadorned) in your postings. There are plenty of ways to obfuscate your e-mail address that break robots but is easy for humans to handle.
See below: C
--
************************************
Chris Merrill

Yes, lots. Don't open any of them, whatever you do or the people in your address book will hate you.
Dennis Vogel
The only thing I have seen more of recently than bogus emails is people posting about it.

No, I think the email with the jumbled words is showing up more than that. ;-)
Dennis Vogel

as an alternative (not necessarily safe) to anti virus software, if you use Outlook you can stop it from downloading the entire msg by:
Go to Tools menu... Options item... Mail Setup tab... Send/Receive... Edit... check "Download item description only".
Greg
My ISP claims it will stop soon as people start putting the MS patch on. What I don't get is: 1) How so many people could be dumb enough to open obviously bogus attachments. My virus software didn't catch them at first, but they are so obvious. 2) Why my ISP can't filter them out, when my spam filter has no problem.

Yes to #2. I had a big argument with my ISP. They actually told me that "no one uses filtering on email servers else why would there be so many viruses all the time."
Dennis Vogel

1.a. How could anyone be dumb enough to write an email client that by default, executes inline executable commands in the body of the email? 1.b. How could anyone be dumb enough to write an email client that by default, automatically executes executable attachemnts? 1.c. How could anyone be dumb enough to write an email client that by default, writes executable commands into the body of the email?

Maybe they charge customers for bandwidth?
--

FF

I've noticed that there's less spam in my emailbox now that this worm is trying to attack everybody. That's good, now I wish the worm would go away.

spewed forth and said:

I've been getting those for at least a year now.

Well then maybe I'm crazy or maybe I'm just plain mean. I report all the spam I receive. Most of the complaints are no doubt ignored since most spam these days comes from 'bullet proof' hosts that offer special 'pink contracts' to spammers. But here and there one gets whacked.
About once every 2,000 complaints I get a nice email from a sysadmin telling me they've terminated the spammer.
--

FF