OT: Email Virus

Page 1 of 2
I've been receiving about 20 emails a day with a virus or worm. It seems my email address has made it onto some email bot that keeps spitting them out. I was wondering if they got my email off one of the newsgroups I belong. Has anyone else on this group been experiencing the same problem for the last few days?
Kennor wrote:>I've been receiving about 20 emails a day with a virus or worm. It seems my

I deleted around 5 emails that had attachments from God knows who, subject line "virus". This was just this morning. Play safe! Tom
Someday, it'll all be over....
This is a copy (you can't get a virus from this) of what I have on my WebTV mail list which has filled it up:
Email Service Abort Report 9/23 MS Inet Mail System Bug Message 9/22 Microsoft Internet Email Storage Service (no subject) 9/22 Admin Error Advice 9/23
Microsoft Network Message Service Undeliverable Message 9/22 Security Section Newest Internet Critical Upgrade 9/22 Mail Delivery System Report 9/23 postmaster undeliverable mail returned to sender 9/22 MS Message Storage Service Message 9/22 ms inet email storage system Advice 9/22 Administrator Mail 9/22 Network Message System Undeliverable Mail User unknown 9/22 administrator Bug Advice 9/22 inet email system Undeliverable Message: User unknown 9/22 Security Assistance Latest Network Patch 9/22 MS Inet Mail System Returned Message: Returned To Mailer 9/22 Storage System Notice 9/21 Security Services Latest Network Critical Update 9/21 inet mail system failure notice 9/22 microsoft mail delivery system bug advice 9/21 Network Security Section Latest Net Pack 9/21 Admin (no subject) 9/22 Inet Mail Delivery Service Undeliverable Message 9/22 Net Mail Storage Service mail 9/22 Inet Message Delivery System Undelivered Mail: User unknown 9/22
I talked with their Customer Service and was told that they were aware of it but could do nothing about it. The spammer has been caught. It was caused in my case by my opening an e-mail from a friend that has a computer whose address book was invaded by a virus. I have gone to my secondary user address and so far (fingers crossed) that's OK.
Peace ~ Sir Edgar
I'm getting exactly the same messages in my Yahoo account. Sounds like definetely someone monitoring this newsgroup is the source. I contacted Yahoo and they wre useless so I don't use Yahoo anymore. If anyone has info on where and who let us know on the wrec. snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Sir Edgar) wrote in message New Internet Security Pack 9/23

It's bigger than that. Lots of people that wouldn't know a Usenet newsgroup from a ball pein hammer are getting the email.
Dennis Vogel
...what's a ball pein hammer???

You're kidding, right? In case you're not:
http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?TYPE TEGORY&CATEGORYLL+PEIN+HAMMERS

Reminds me of a woman I saw a couple of years ago at a local hardware store where her husband had sent her to get a metric hammer. She looked on her own for quite a while and then asked a clerk for help. She only became hyper agitated and ran out of the store when it dawned on her that he was trying to get rid of her.
Phil
Dennis snipped-for-privacy@patmedia.net wrote:

http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?TYPE TEGORY&CATEGORYLL+PEIN+HAMMERS
"Dennis snipped-for-privacy@patmedia.net" wrote:

http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?TYPE TEGORY&CATEGORYLL+PEIN+HAMMERS
Do you think somebody should tell Stanley that it's spelled "peen"? -- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA
--------------DB2E7F7CBCCA1AC5FD5C29BB Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Nova wrote:

Merriam-Webster says pein is a variant of peen. see: http://www.m-w.com/home.htm I've always seen it as pein. ARM
--------------DB2E7F7CBCCA1AC5FD5C29BB Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
--------------DB2E7F7CBCCA1AC5FD5C29BB--
Nova wrote:

Pein \Pein\, n. See Peen. [1913 Webster]
Peen \Peen\ (p[=e]n), n. [Cf. G. pinne pane of a hammer.] (a) A round-edged, or hemispherical, end to the head of a hammer or sledge, used to stretch or bend metal by indentation. (b) The sharp-edged end of the head of a mason's hammer. [Spelt also pane, pein, and piend.] [1913 Webster]
FWIW, I've always thought of "peen" like "thru" as one of the revised, modernist spellings. "Pein" looks correct to my eyes.
Silvan responds:

I've gotten so "peen" looks OK, but "thru" never will. Some time in the late '60s, very early '70s, I had an article in Modern Cycle, IIRC, and they had spelled "through" in the modern form, "thru", every time. I had never noticed it before, but have hated it ever since.
That may have been because they ran the article and didn't pay for it, though.
Charlie Self
"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft." Theodore Roosevelt

Only if you're bean a peen in the arse about it.

worm.
out.
Has
subject
I think I read here recently that the person responsible for releasing the Swen virus had been caught. Anyone have details?
Dennis Vogel
Kennor wrote:

The last few days I have literally 100's every time I pull mail...maybe close to a 1000 EACH DAY......
Norton Anti Virus says I am clean... mail programs deletes everything on the server when I pull it...and I NEVER open attachments unless it comes from my Mother... and she passed away years ago....
Seems there is nothing I can do to stop this thing... (automat.ahb) from what I can fingure out... who knows BUT it is starting to get to me BIG TIME....
Bob Griffiths
: : The last few days I have literally 100's every time I pull mail...maybe : close to a 1000 EACH DAY...... : : Norton Anti Virus says I am clean... mail programs deletes everything : on the server when I pull it...and I NEVER open attachments unless it : comes from my Mother... and she passed away years ago.... : : : Seems there is nothing I can do to stop this thing... (automat.ahb) : from what I can fingure out... who knows BUT it is starting to get to : me BIG TIME.... : : Bob Griffiths
Thank god someone has it worse than me. I'm getting 30-40 copies a day, I feel much better now that you are getting 1000.

To really make you feel good, I'm getting 1 a minute on two of my accounts (about 120 an hour).
djb
--
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"

If it makes you feel better, I was getting over 1000/day at the weekend too. I have no idea what it is now, because I've just abandoned that address - it can fill up the server & start bouncing, it's not worth trying to keep logging in to delete the damn things (and Earthlink is too brain-dead to actually try & do anything about it).
John
snipped-for-privacy@Adelphia.net says...

What I'm getting is "message undeliverable" at 100+ a day. Seems somebody is sending out emails with my email address in the "reply-to" and/or "from" entries. And yes, I know it's not me :-).
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 16:30:48 -0700, Larry Blanchard

Luckily, my ISP has an anti-spam filter that will allow me to completely block entire domains so I went from about 100 a day down to a trickle. Once this nonsense runs its course, I'll lift the bans, but not until.