OT - Elizabeth Edwards Funeral Protest

Page 3 of 3
wrote: [snipped]

I couldn't disagree more. I might agree with the exact opposite.

I guess it is a personal thing. Both from the observer's point of view and from the organization's/practitioner's. In the end, I would hope that everyone gets what he/she deserves to get <grin/snicker>
--
Best regards
Han

Very personal indeed.
On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 06:29:03 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

I've met too many hypocrites right out of church. <shrug>
-- Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly. -- Plutarch
On 2010-12-14 08:57:55 -0500, Larry Jaques

Just to play devil's advocate for a moment, didn't the money feed, clothe and house a metric shitload of contractors?
On 2010-12-14 08:57:55 -0500, Larry Jaques

Um, maybe. I tend to believe everyone is pretty decent, right up to the point they reveal their true natures. But then the evil does seem to be truly out of proportion -- evil people must work very hard to prove just how evil they can be.
It takes a lot of Mahatma Gandhis to balance out even one Radislav Krstić.
On 12/13/2010 5:15 PM, DGDevin wrote:

be a damn site better place. Too many have died, been maimed, deprived of food or cast out of society in the name of religion - and usually by preachers of it who are either hypocrites or bigots or both.

had six feet of water in it. He didn't even see anyone from FEMA for months, but he and his neighbors were fed and housed for the most part by church groups, many of them had come hundreds or even thousands of miles to help. So while I agree that religion has been the source of a lot of strife over the centuries, that doesn't mean that no good has ever come of it. Religion is no different from any other aspect of human society, it can be a force for good or ill, it all depends on how people use it.
More people have died at the hands of atheists than at the hands of the religious wingnuts. Stalin alone probably eclipses the entire death toll of the Crusades and medieval Christian church. Tribalists come in second - think Tutsi/Hutu for one example - but religion is a far distant third.
"Tim Daneliuk" wrote in message

What leads you to believe Stalin was an atheist? There is significant evidence that he never really shook off the seminary training he had as a young man, and that his support of religious persecution especially prior to WWII was largely from fear that the church represented competition for the loyalty of the people.
You're also forgetting some religiously inspired slaughters, e.g. the Taiping Rebellion in China (led by the self-announced brother of Christ) killed twenty million. But it also isn't a competition in which the body-count determines who is worst. An atheist who kills to achieve power, or a supposed Christian who kills to achieve power--which one is defying the moral code he claims to believe in?
On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 21:41:23 -0600, Tim Daneliuk

would be a damn site better place. Too many have died, been maimed, deprived of food or cast out of society in the name of religion - and usually by preachers of it who are either hypocrites or bigots or both.

had six feet of water in it. He didn't even see anyone from FEMA for months, but he and his neighbors were fed and housed for the most part by church groups, many of them had come hundreds or even thousands of miles to help. So while I agree that religion has been the source of a lot of strife over the centuries, that doesn't mean that no good has ever come of it. Religion is no different from any other aspect of human society, it can be a force for good or ill, it all depends on how people use it.

Perhaps. Then again, those killings weren't done in the name of some god, or NO god, either.
Mayans and Incas offed a few in the name of their gods, too. The list is endless.
-- Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly. -- Plutarch

Take comfort in the fact that not many of us likely judge your beautiful state by the actions of its minority whack-jobs.
I have to frequently remind myself that freedoms are often distasteful, but better than not having them at all.
Neil Brooks wrote:

The two are not mutually exclusive. For example, I have the freedom to own a baseball bat in a state that recognizes "fighting words" as justification.
snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMgmail.com says...

What state would that be?